The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

Is a dual socket holy shit machine going to be possible with ryzen like it is on the intel chips?

Like I know there will be server parts and shit but will it be the same as building with xeons? Any info on Naples? I can't find much.

Real world benchmarks and a better Canadian dollar to be able to buy these things at a reasonable price or I don't give a ****.

US prices exclude sales tax. Sales tax varies across states.

399$ for the 1700X is 380€ with the 1.05$/€ exchange rate
19% tax makes it 452€. So 439€ for the 1700X is an okay price.

Wait a tick.... The i5 and i3 variants probably aren't coming for another 2-4 weeks. Since they are made of failed or imperfect 8 core chips they won't have a healthy supply to warrant a sale for a while. It's not like they're gonna gimp themselves and sell locked 8 cores or anything like that especially when the world wants ryzen 7 so badly.

With that in mind, if real world benchmarks don't blow me away and convince me to go for ryzen 7 then I won't go for it at all. I'll settle with kaby Lake. I've almost got all my parts in and I don't want to wait another 4 weeks to complete my build.

well thats it then the world is out of ryzen cpu's guys. they'll never make any more of them and none of them will ever be for sale ever again.

ah yes i remember whne the price of and videocards went up and never came back down..... i beleive an r9 290 is currently 20,000$ at this time. :)

So we'll have to wait for Q2 for Ryzen 5. I'm thinking May then, alongside Vega and other RX 500 GPU's. That's actually not a bad idea. Hopefully this time AMD will have non-reference GPU's at launch this year.

Q2 for ryzen 5.... I guess I'll be getting the 7700k unless real world benchmarks discover some epic stuff about the ryzen 7

If you are just interested in the most IPC performance and the highest clock speed, so basically your workload is gaming without streaming or music or youtube or anything else at the same time, the 7700K is still the fastest chip. But that changes pretty quickly if you are running anything in the background.

Thats because EU prices have taxes included.

I'm with you there, I want more threads etc. But for ordinary people, and especially people who mostly just want to game, a 7700K is a better choice. The amount of games that actually scale beyond four cores are still a rare thing. There are a couple, but for like 99% of games out there, single thread is king. Add to this how well the 7700K overclocks. According to testers, over half of them reaches 5 GHz, and at that speed it will walk all over Ryzen in single thread and therefore in most games. You can buy a 5 GHz 7700K from SiliconLottery for $369.99. A 5.1 capable one is significantly more expensive at $419.99 so the value kinda drops off a cliff there.

This all changes if Ryzen overclocks well, but from what I heard that isn't the case. One can hope though, an eight-core at 4.4-4.5 would do it for me for sure. Maybe down the line when a newer revision comes out? We'll see.

Next week will be interesting with some real world data. I also very much want motherboard reviews. Gimme! :-)

The R5 variants are Q2, the R3 are after that, H2 2017. Can mean December, but hopefully before that.

As someone who runs multiple VMs with GPU passthrough, Ryzen looks like just the ticket with 8 real cores at half the price of Intel. Perhaps my days of over provisioning are soon to be over...

While the 'gaming' processors they've shown look fine I want to see server chips, laptop chips, laptop GPUs, and ultra low power mobile chips. I doubt I'll ever build another computer again since we have laptops with desktop power now so those intrigue me the most. I'm -really- wanting a phone with a dockable desktop on it as well that works well.

The R5 variants range from 6c/12t to 4c/8t, so I would guess in May/June we will have some real company for those 7700k's & 7600k's. With the cheapest 6-core being $230 iirc.

1 Like

Never pre-order. People are Ryzen up to do this and it is stupid.

ASRock seem to be offering ECC support,

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp#AM4

And 5Gb/s BASE-T Ethernet with 10 SATA.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp

Anyone have any experience with the Aquantia NIC?

I really really wish somebody would leak actual screenshots of benchmarks. Tho I guess if they did we would not trust them if they hid their identity

1 Like