The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

I think that supply would have been a major issue.

I don't get why it seems like every high end ATX mobo has 3 PCI-E slots but bately any have more than 2 m.2 slots. I thought SLI was pretty dead not to mention 3 way SLI... and like more than 2 hard drives especially with the smaller size of SSDs and the growing usage of 4k video seems like it could be pretty legit.

M.2 to PCIe adapter? They use the same interface anyways*, and one can get some direct from China for pennies on the dollar. Or that Austrian one for like $75.

*Unless it's a SATA M.2 SSD, at which point a 2.5" drive will be just as fast and usually cheaper.

Paul from Pauls hardware have explained that pretty well a few weeks ago on his live show...
Basically you have let's say 24 lines...
SLI uses x8 x8, those are 16 gone. You have 8 for It and stuff and you are left with extra 4...
Now, dual M.2 already saturate 4 lanes. Third M.2 slot will not surve any purpose. If you have 2 xM.2 slots in raid, the third one will not increase neither the speed, nor will have any actual bandwidth to communicate with the cpu...
Keep in mind, some motherboards disable connectivity options in order to allow you to use m.2 slots. And you ask for more...
Nvidia is allowing x16 x8 x8 triple SLI as far as I know, so there are 32 lanes gone, you are again left with 4 lanes for IO and 4 for other stuff...
Like it or not, m.2 slots are currently limited to 4 lanes, that they share with other connectors on the motherboard...

In my country, idk about us, sata 2,5" ssds and m.2 sata ssds are the same price...

I think not having a ton of m.2 is down to mobo vendors not having faith in buyer adoption of the m.2 form factor due to expense and lack of real world gains from the bandwidth nvme offers, unless you have specific workloads. Plus, like w.meri said, if you really want that, you can get pci-e adapters.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more m.2 adoption and lower prices. The industry just isn't on board yet.

All that said I don't understand why SATA express still exists on motherboards when I've literally never seen a sata express drive.

2 way crossfired 480's and a PCIe ssd is not unrealistic, slots dont always mean graphics cards

I didn't see this posted here, sorry if it already was. Austin has since reedited his video to remove this content, but here is a mirrored copy. Over 5.1 and new Cinebench world record.

Austin Evans' Report on Ryzen - 5.1 Ghz on ALL EIGHT CORES on the 1800x

right, the question is why does every full size motherboard have SLI compatibility that use up more of those lines. SLI isn't very popular, you would think some motherboards would forgo SLI compatibility for more m.2. Limited a mobo to only 1 card would save 8 lanes, right? so thats what, like 4 more m.2's that could support? Or even if their bandwith was limited, there is obvious space saving features of m.2 for small form factor cases.

Because of the 70% market share, because there are many people, that SLI old gen cards, because it's a marketing thing... Basically... They don't really eat more PCI-E lanes... SLU uses x8 x8... Not x16 x16... Removing SLI compatibility will not free up bandwidth at all.

being sli compatible does not eat up lanes, they are only used if something is plugged into them

also m.2 is more niche than sli/xfire at this point

I disagree.

I don't...
It's still extremely expensive...

I don't think that is relevant for something being niche or not. iPhones aren't a niche.

and every indication is that m.2 will go down in price. 3 years ago, SSDs were niche. SLI isn't becoming more mainstream, if anything single videocards becoming better at higher resolutions will make it even more niche.

1 Like

I agree. The only way that it will compete with Intel is if you can have a stable overclock to atleast 5GHz.

Super excited. I want to see how they perform but I already know I'm going for one of the lower end parts first, then do a build with a 1700(X) later for myself.
I'd never have told anyone not to get an FX chip until we knew Ryzen was coming, now you are seriously wasting your money if you're considering FX at this point. It's a pretty crazy upgrade coming from an 8350, more cores (sort of), way more performance and a lower TDP to boot.
Not to mention that Crosshair Hero VI board that looks really nice.

I dont know about reaching 5GHz on a 8c 16t chip but how they overclock is critical. If a 1800X tops out at what a 1700 or 1700X can reach or come close to then why spend more. Roll on march 2.

And where back to finding out which MB's overclock the best

I am still waiting on Cyrix to return to the mainstream cpu market.

Not everybody cares about overclocking. A faster and more affordable AMD chip with a higher core and thread count is still more impressive than an i7.

Waiting for march.

4 Likes