The Level1Techs KVM (Keyboard, Video Mouse) Switch - 4k/60hz monitor & USB Switchbox | Level One Techs

Raging dumpster fire. The HDMI active adapters are the only ones Iv e found that work (with HDMI not dp)

1 Like

Yeah that was what my research turned up as well.

Of the dumpster fire active hdmi adapters, is there a model you know to be reliable?

Ubuntu is not playing nice, when I switch from Ubuntu to Windows, then back to Ubuntu the screen goes to sleep. I have to crawl down, disconnect the displayport and reconnect. Not sure if this was solved with drivers or some other setting earlier in the thread, its a lot to go through.
Nvidia GT 630
No proprietary drivers installed

So install PopOS fixed the issue of having to unplug - replug the display cable after switching back to nix. I assume its the nvidia driver? Kudos to PopOS- when downloading the ISO they even specify to download either an AMD or Nvidia version.

In fact, when switching back to PopOS the windows stay where I left them, vs. with Win10 all the windows pile up into the top left corner. So nix performs better in this aspect. I had some person’s script that fixed this issue on Windows but it stopped working sometime ago… too lazy to chase this down.

1 Like

The windows thing is just editing the registry key that defines the monitor size when it’s unplugged to be the same as your monitor which seems to work okay

P.s. I have the flu so I mostly sleep for now. Haha. Sadface.

1 Like

Maybe all that travel you have been doing haha. Get well soon! I will look into the registry path after work tomorrow.

I have ordered three of the stick type and can report that they work great with my 2080Ti.
Finally Hot-Plug Detection is no longer an issue :smiley:

One thing I have noticed however is that Port 1 on my unit (1 to 4 DP) gives me issues. When I connect my PCs to ports 2, 3 and 4 everything is fine. Might be down to cables that are barely good enough, I might order some better ones.

After working fine for around a year, my setup (4 port single monitor KVM) has recently stopped working.

Usually I can start the laptop (lid closed) in the docking station and it will boot up with the external monitor (Dell UP3216Q) as the main (and only) display.
It stopped doing this last week, with no output to the display. I had to power on with the laptop screen open and then extend the display, whereby there was an output - but on reboot with the lid closed, the output is lost again. With initial fault finding, I could get it to reconnect by disconecting the TB/USB-C cable from the laptop and reconnecting to get it to work. But now, the only way to restore the output is to dis-connect and reconnect the DisplayPort cable. The output is lost if I switch ports on the KVM (either an empty port), the display goes into power saving, or the laptop is powered down (sleep or shut down) , the only way to recover is to unplug the docking cable.

I’m using a Dell XPS15 laptop with a Dell Thunderbolt TB16 docking station, and also a Dell WD19 station. It could be that a recent Thunderbolt docking firmware and driver update is a possible cause as these were the last things to be changed. However the chipsets between the docking stations are different vendors.
I’ve tested without the KVM in the setup and this works fine.

I’ve seen some posts about the Nvidia cards needing a firmware update using their update tool, but this only works for add-in graphics cards. My XPS 15 has Intel 630 Graphics with Nvidia 1050.
Will rolling back the Nvidia driver fix the issue?

EDIT: I’ve now rolled back to the previous Dell/Nvidia driver dated 09-May-2018 and this has not resolved the problem and I have now spent hours investigating this.
It would appear that a firmware update is required for the KVM to work with the latest DisplayPort and Thunderbolt standards.

Update: I have VESA-certified DP 1.4 cables now, so they should easily be good enough for the KVM. Cable length between the PC and Monitor (including the KVM inbetween) does not exceed 3m. Yet when I connect a PC to Port 1, I cannot get an output on the KVM, even from other ports. This is really weird.

That is odd! Good enough for me to rma if you want to mail it to me for testing/repair

I’ve done some more testing, given that sending it in from the EU seems like a bit of a hassle, and it seems that the issues I’m seeing are related to my hotplug killer sticks after all. Without them, everything works fine, no issues. With them connected, the KVM sometimes does not output a signal after switching (even if that port provided a signal before) if anything is connected to port 1. I’m not quite sure what the exact conditions are. These hotplug killer sticks also have a solder point for switching it to a “force” mode (whatever that means) that makes everything even worse.

I’m guessing this probably does not qualify as RMA, since hotplug killers are a special device. It would be great if there was a solution to this issue though. Maybe you could order some of those hotplug killer sticks as well and see if you can reproduce it?

Sure, whats the link for those? that’s interesting.

I’ve only tested with the stick-type though, maybe it works with the other one.

On windows, you can do this to make the “default” resolution when no monitor is plugged in match when it is plugged in:

1. Open “Regedit” and go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\SIMULATED_10DE_13 C2_00000001_00000000_1300^6C7185C1F893FF6C2863DDD8BF5E4ABF\00”

2. Change “PrimSurfSize.cx” and “PrimSurfSize.cy” to your monitors resolution. e.g. 3440x1440 or 1920x1080 or wahtever. Note that it must be “demicial”

3. next go to the second “00” and change “DwmClipBox.bottom” and “DwmClipBox.right”, “PrimSurfSize.cx” and “PrimSurfSize.cy”, “ActiveSize.cy” and “ActiveSize.cx”

4. fixed4ever?

that may do away with the need for a hotplug killer, at least on windows

Would this also work somehow if I have three monitors connected, where I use the KVM to switch just the center monitor away to another computer?

Ah, in that case, no. Hmmm…

Ah well, that’s unfortunate. Luckily I can just not use port 1 for now, even though that kinda gives me OCD.
Really curious to see if you can find a way to make it work.

Oh yeah, another unrelated thing I thought I’d mention: The KVM came with a US plug, not that useful in EU :smile:
Given that this power adapter seems to support changable plugs, it would have been great if other types were included. Do you happen to know where I can get other ones?

If you write in on the store John will sent you one. I got a few interchangable plates finally. Passive adapters prolly work fine tho

Yeah I’m using one right now, it just feels like a really dodgy solution since the plug is really loose and it can wobble around while plugged in. Not sure if this is just how US plugs are in general or if it’s due to the adapter, but I’ll order the plate then, thank you.