The Level1Techs KVM (Keyboard, Video Mouse) Switch - 4k/60hz monitor & USB Switchbox | Level One Techs

Not usually. The wall wart that came with my KVM has a solid fit.

Is this not an acceptable solution for you? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Found this:

I have about 50 setIdā€™s (maybe because of VMware Workstation?) with no rhyme or reason to the naming convention. Teh googles is not help on how to obtain currently plugged in monitor setIds. Any advice on either getting the setID or how to safely clear out setIds from regedit?

1 Like

Running WMI just gets model and some other little details.
gwmi WmiMonitorID -Namespace root\wmi | ForEach-Object {($_.UserFriendlyName -notmatch 0 | foreach {[char]$_}) -join ""; ($_.SerialNumberID -notmatch 0 | foreach {[char]$_}) -join ""}

This is my awesome list of ā€˜connected monitorsā€™ setIDs in regedit

For now Iā€™m running PersistentWindows with success
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/kvm-avr-switch-monitor-resolution-problem-on/7e48cd08-6ef6-415c-9b4c-40ef49098ef1

1 Like

@wendell Any idea when the Display port KVM will be back in stock? Procurement was just about to place the order for me. Our spending is coming close to the end. Was looking at the HDMI version sadly we only have lots of display port cables with our PC using display port. Have about 60 PC coming in not looking forward to that :joy:

I have another question about the future 8K DisplayPort KVMs: can we hope for an upgrade kit if weā€™ve bought an existing Level 1 DisplayPort KVM by the time it comes out? (I canā€™t remember whether Iā€™ve heard something about that before.)

Looks like for the moment, the Dual Monitor KVM is back in stock in the store, btw

A year down the road, is it still the case that the next-gen model is based on the same controller so that this upgrade remains a possibility?

Currently yes but obv no guarantees . The 8k proto is based on the USBc kvm in fact

1 Like

Fingers crossed, then. Thanks for the update!

Not sure if this is the best thread to askā€¦

I have a windows 10 system and pop os system, setup with my dual monitor kvm switch. Obviously my window positions are all over the place on both systems when switching back and forthā€¦

On windows 10 Iā€™ve been using display fusion with a hotkey to restore my window positions. Is there a similar solution on linux, running pop os? Would i3 tiling manager be a proper solution for this?

came across this, which is working pretty well.

Hey @wendell, got any news regarding the hotplug killer sticks?

1 Like

So I recently received my KVM, and I really like it! It even works alright with a couple of MST hubs I recently bought for my setup, one of which is embedded in one of the old-school Lenovo docking stations.

However, my use case presents a problem. While MST works, certain behaviors I encounter with it donā€™t suit my use case, which is a triple-monitor one with a relatively modest overall bandwidth requirement: 1 Ɨ 4k@60Hz monitor, 1 Ɨ 1440p high refresh rate monitor, and 1 Ɨ 1440p@60Hz monitor.

The problem is that (1) the bandwidth limitations for MST are stricter than I realized: when I connect a 4k@60Hz monitor first, the lower-resolution monitors arenā€™t even recognized on the hubā€” even when i reduce the refresh rate on the most bandwidth-hungry monitor. This is okay, but it doesnā€™t allow me to arrange my monitors in the desired hub configuration so that my main monitor will always work, even with my least capable devices on the KVM. So to get at least two monitors recognized on my least capable devices, and to get my main monitor recognized on my least capable devices, I cannot use an MST hub. Moreover, I also (2) cannot combine the MST hub built into my least capable deviceā€™s dock with the standalone MST hub I purchased for this project.

Means Iā€™ve painted myself into a corner: to get all three monitors working through the KVM on my more capable devices, I must use an MST hub.

The pain Iā€™m faced with is that if only I had a triple-monitor model, I could just not use the third port for my least capable device, only employ the MST hub built into the dock for that device, and still use all three monitors for my most capable devices. T.T

I have invested, perhaps a bit impulsively, quite a lot into this setup. I am on the cusp of being able to combine all of the hardware that I had beforehand in a glorious and delightful way. I understand that this is a very odd line of side work for Level 1. I noticed on the box I received a sticker with checkboxes, and a triple-monitor model is mentioned.

My question, or proposition, for @wendell is this:

If you think you will never have a sufficient batch size to fulfill for the triple-monitor model, or you just donā€™t want to deal with stocking one more damn piece of hardware, would it be feasible and agreeable for me to order the virgin triple-monitor model from the upstream vendor, and receive instructions from you on how to load an alternative firmware onto it? Or would that be blocked by substantial new work required on your part?

Thanks either way for your consideration, and for the growing selection of high-quality niche KVMs youā€™ve collaborated to create. :slight_smile:

1 Like

couldnā€™t you just use the two port model with mst hub on port #2 and dedicated 4k/60 connection on port #1?

I have thought about doing a super limited production run of the 3 port model butā€¦ there are some other difficulties. I could maybe do it but I worry about the cost and reliability.

The problem with that is that my central and main monitor, intentionally, is a 1440p gaming monitor, and the 4k monitor is more on the side, which I can kind of swing around to watch movies from a slightly different seat than usual. Plus if I do that, with my old-ish Lenovo laptop, Iā€™ll only get the 4k@60Hz monitor, not even two of any varietyā€” which I can only get at all with that device if I have two monitors plugged directly into the KVM switch.

(I already have a couple of dual 4k@60Hz TB3 docks that donā€™t internally use DisplayLink or MST, which I used to use with a MBP I had with an old job, and I think those would serve fine here, but my current laptop doesnā€™t work with them, I think for want of DisplayPort/TB3 bandwidth. Thereā€™s a PCI-E allocation error I get when I plug those things into this laptop. Lenovo laptops other than the X1C and P-series from prior to this year, as you may know, only have 2x lanes associated with their singular TB3 ports.

So maybe in the end I will try to convince my current employer to buy me a new laptop which is known to work with dual 4k@60Hz TB3 docks on Linux.)

But if you can be enticed to further engage those triple-monitor model experiments, or to coordinate with me on it in any way that is less burdensome for you than a full production run, Iā€™d like to attempt it. :smiley:

maybe draw me a pic of the topology? you intend? lol because the 3 port is 4 * 3 input and 3 output seems like itā€™d be the same laptop problem?
I might be able to do a one-off for you but its really tricky

Sure! Iā€™ll make a little dot diagram. Heads up: the aim is to have my less-powerful devices not degrade the situation for my more powerful ones, not to actually get all 3 monitors working on my least-capable devices.

1 Like

And hereā€™s the source, in case thatā€™s a bit messy and the source is more conceptually clear:

digraph {
  T25 -> "Lenovo Dock's MST Hub" [label="Proprietary Lenovo Dock Connector"];
  "Lenovo Dock's MST Hub" -> KVM [label="DP to PCI-1"];
  "Lenovo Dock's MST Hub" -> KVM [label="DP to PC1-2"];
  "Old Mac Mini" -> KVM [label="mDP to PC2-1"];
  "Old Mac Mini" -> "Active HDMI to DP Adapter";
  "Active HDMI to DP Adapter" -> KVM [label="DP to PC2-2"];
  "Gaming PC" -> "KVM" [label="DP to PC3-1"];
  "Gaming PC" -> "KVM" [label="DP to PC3-2"];
  "Gaming PC" -> "KVM" [label="DP to PC3-3"];
  "Random Desktop of the Week" -> "KVM" [label="DP to PC4-1"];
  "Random Desktop of the Week" -> "KVM" [label="DP to PC4-2"];
  "Random Desktop of the Week" -> "KVM" [label="DP to PC4-3"];
  "KVM" -> "1440p Gaming" [label="DP from OUT1"];
  "KVM" -> "1440p Vertical" [label="DP from OUT2"];
  "KVM" -> "4k60" [label="DP from OUT3"];
}

Putting this together made it easier for me to state my problem: some of my old devices, namely my old Mac Mini and the Last Good (But Also Still Bad) ThinkPadā„¢, canā€™t cope with MST hubs on the output side of the KVM under any circumstances, if for different reasons.

• Consequently, to use all 3 monitors with my most capable machines, means I can use only 1 monitor with my least capable machines, since the KVMā€™s output port which goes to an MST hub is wasted.
  • Conversely, I may use 2 monitors with those wimpier devices, at the cost of sacrificing the third monitor for all of my more powerful devices, thus limiting all of my machines to 2 outputs via the KVM.
  • Should I choose the single-monitor limitation for my weaker devices, the only single monitor that I can choose is both physically peripheral and secondary to my productivity compared to the other two.

The gaming monitor is for gaming and general use, the vertical monitor is for a giant fullscreen terminal divided into panes as well as reading long documents, and the 4k monitor is for movies and general use. The physical arrangement, FWIW, is 4k on the left, gaming in the middle, and vertical on the right.

The only truly fixed hosts/sources here are the T25, which I mainly use for work, and the gaming computer, which I mainly use for not-work. The other two could be replaced, for example, by a newer laptop with a TB3 dock, or a liā€™l NUC I can hide in my desk. But I hope this shows how reliance on MST leaves me with a dilemma between two compromises when I have a mix of devices of varying compatibility with MST hubs on the output side of the KVM. And how a triple-monitor KVM would resolve the dilemma, if not allow me to use all 3 monitors on all 4 systems.

2 Likes

and now Iā€™m just gratuitously @ing you, @wendell, in case youā€™re still up and interested, because I forgot to when I made all that :flushed:

Iā€™ve used MST hubs in the past on the KVM. Theyā€™re really hit or miss. :confused:

2 Likes