The ITX Sandwich megabuild saga

Hiya folks!

I’m considering a somewhat unique build at the moment, and since I’ve got very little experience with ITX boards, I thought I’d ask here.

I’m looking for a small case that’s got room for a midrange GPU and a couple SSDs. This will be an AMD build, and I’m also considering waiting for the zen 2 APUs to come out, since the rumor mill has them estimated to be fairly powerful.

I’m mostly looking for something that’ll be a replacement for my 1950x system. I need 32GB (or 64, maybe) of ram, a dGPU for passthrough, and 3-4 SSDs. NVMe or SATA doesn’t matter, this is for ZFS.

I don’t have a specific volume limit, I’m just aiming for “as smol as possible”

As far as other requirements go, it needs wired networking. 10G would be nice, but is not required. It needs onboard video out, for the APU, duh. and the case must have dust filtration because I am spoiled by the Meshify C.

I have no current pricerange for this build, but I think $1200 $2800 is a somewhat realistic aim.

Alright, I’ve got the initial build plan done, budget completely blown away, but IDGAF anymore:

I have been using an Intel NUC with an external nVidia 1080 via TB3 and haven’t looked back for a second.

If you want to stick with AMD, there are some nice similar formfactor options.

I’m using Linux, so I’m not really looking to have thunderbolt be an instrumental component to the build.

I had considered that though. The main issue is that my XPS 15 is proving to me that Thunderbolt isn’t fully mature on Linux yet.

1 Like

That itx x570 ASRock rack MB should be available soon…

:ok_hand:

Each one of those words says price++ to me.

But yes, that’s definitely on my radar.

I built in a DAN A4 case, can highly recommend it.

Pics

Other options are Ghost loque S1 or the Zaber sentry, although all these cases are expensive and hard to aquire.

My current case is a fractal core 500, which is nice, but too big for my liking.

Hmmmmm…

that actually seems solid.

could I fit my 1080 in there?

checks google machine

Yep.

Sold.

1 Like

These itx have 2.5Gb lan

1 Like

B550. Forgot that existed. :thonk:

To my knowledge, there doesn’t exist a consumer ITX board with 10G onboard. That Asrock Rack motherboard looks crazy though.

You’ll only have vga for onboard video out with that.

You could get creative with a m.2 to pcixe4 adaptor for a 10g ethernet card on a x570 board.

But yeah, those B550 with 2,5 gbe will be much more hassle free.

1 Like

That’s what I feared. ITX+10G might be asking too much. Honestly that’s okay though. I don’t have 10G LAN yet. When I move to my new place, I will.

Could, but probably not worth the hassle, especially considering the space requirements to make that work.

Easily goes into a backpack if you plan to take it places.

1 Like

Yeah, especially if you go for the Dan A4 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah, that’s gotta be great, huh.

I have a Dan A4 v4 sitting in a closet, I never got around to building in. It really is a pretty case.
No dust filtration though. But popping the side panels off and taking it outside to an air compressor wont be much work :slight_smile:

That’s true. Smaller case, easier clean.

There’s a dust filter set for it

https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_acce.html

2 Likes

I stand corrected.

But it kinda ruins the look of the A4 when it mounts to the outside.

1 Like

There’s both internal and external filters available.

2 Likes

I stand corrected again.

3 Likes