The ITX Sandwich megabuild saga

I just put together an “SFF” build in the RVZ03.

What I gathered from my newbie experience is that if you want to just downsize get a case like the LianLi TU150 or the Cooler Master NR200P that won’t have you screw around with risers and complicated operations to put the system together.

If you’re looking for 64GB of RAM on an ITX AM4 board you’re pretty much forced to get the Asus Maximus VIII Crosshair Impact which has double-DIMM whatever compatibility. But it’s bitch to fit in SFF cases due to the DIMM.2 module (ask me how I know it).

In the end I think you should compromise the “as small as possible” with some convenience, just to make your life a bit easier.

Short search brought up the SuperMicro X10SDV-8C-TLN4F, gives you 2x 10Gig, 2x 1Gig and costs a lot.

MSI, Asus and some others have a few ITX-boards with 2.5Gig LAN

Edit:
Found something from ASRock, and it may work for you. Note this board does not have onboard sound!
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4I-2T#Specifications

1 Like

Do you have a build log?

Good to know. Might just opt for 32GB then.

I can see the argument for that, but honestly, that’s kinda a selling point for me. I specifically want the risers.

Yeah, I think that’s fair. I’m asking a lot from this system as well, so asking it to do all this and be tiny is probably unrealistic.

An option, but that’s a server board. I need an onboard GPU, since I’m using the dGPU for passthrough.

Yeah, that seems like that’s the route I’ll be going.

1 Like

Found another one. Added to my above post.

1 Like

It would work, but the lack of onboard sound and displayport are two killers. :confused:

Really a bummer because that board seems awesome!

1 Like

I don’t but I can walk you through my build and the choices I made, even in PMs.

If you’re on AM4 and you’ll use an AMD PCIe 4.0 GPU make sure to set the PCIe slot to 3.0 mode before using any riser. Else the GPU will be kicked in 2D mode only.

Also keep in mind that not downsizing too much will give you space for the SSDs + better cooling. Sanwich style SFF cases (or even stacked one like the RVZ03) can be a portable hoven when you’re stressing your system.

I’d absolutely avoid a server board, more hassle than it’s worth.

2 Likes

I think I’m going to be sticking with one of my existing GPUs, since I’m trying to save money. (1080ti or 1070ti) I just want to downscale from this medium sized system to something that both fits on my desk and doesn’t boil me in my office. (damn 1950x)

Yeah, I’m beginning to realize this.

I might have to message you when I get closer to pulling the trigger on this.

1 Like

Absolutely. PMs are open and welcome!

Measure ten times, buy once. Don’t make dumb mistakes like I did thinking “I think it would fit” hahaha

1 Like

haha absolutely.

ncase like cases

@THEkitchenKNIFE is using my old system in the qbx kaze for how cheap it is 50$ its a jam packed case

the only dis like i had for the price was the blinding blue led

16gb ram 2200g 1070 1tb hdd 120gb nvme ssd its a good college sized computers thats gaming and business

giving you a build when i dont know what sales are going on or at all and its all the same kinda set up with painful cable management.

just make sure you can cool everything and you are fine also maybe get a ryzen pro cpu as they have more security on the graphics side of the apu

1 Like

Damn, that’s pretty good.

Another one to add to the list.

The thing about the M1 I liked is the type C on the front.

1 Like

Looked at Sliger cases?

Hecho in EUA

A couple sizes to choose from

EDIT: You can get it with USB C on the front and up to 8x SSD mounts

the case tho is imo like the best for 50$ price range ive ever seen

usb c is pretty much a need but i got plenty of type a to c that i dont really have that issue but to each their own

2 Likes

Yeah, the case from Sliger that Wendell reviewed recently looked pretty nifty.

It really depends how much you want to pay for it up front. If you build a machine in the DAN A4 you’ll end up with a nifty shoebox PC, but you’ll suffer to get there, and you’ll suffer again any time you have to work on it. If it’s a production machine you’re going to set up once and never touch it again, then maybe that’s not so bad.

https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-pro

so look into this if you are security minded snag one on ebay

2 Likes

Forget all other options, throw it in a SNES

1 Like

Best case imo for your needs http://www.sliger.com/products/cases/cerberus_x/ (also murica made)

Full size ATX with very small foot print, I have the mATX version that has my wifes 1950x (my old rig) in it.

fuckin sold

1 Like

The build quality is very good, wendell did a review of them a bit ago, but they have been on my radar way before that.

They have made quite a few more since the original (non x version)