The Coffee Thread

2 Likes

Having some morning espresso, already stirred in the crema

I will occasionally make a flat white or add some milk to pour over if I am hungry in the morning.

If I am drinking a natural/honey process coffee, milk ruins it.

1 Like

I get that different people want different things from coffee. A lot of people seems to go for the sourness, Iā€™m more of a bitter like death kind of person. But I donā€™t get those that basically drink a warm milkshake with a few drops of coffee in it.

2 Likes

Some Vanilla Bullshit GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

2 Likes

im sitting here drinking an iced vanilla latte right now.

though i really enjoy anything. some morning a nice espresso, with or without a bit of local honey, depending on mood (or my sinuses sometimes make that choice for me) Some mornings a tall cold brew with as much cream as coffee.

weirdly i can not drink coffee or tea with just sugar added. i will happily drink straight coffee or tea, or creme and sugar, or creme, but NOT just sugar.

i had that same mr. coffee BMH23 for a LONG time, the timer died a while back so i put just a manual switch on it. then the hopper broke off and i thought about gluing it but i have just been using it with the broken hopper sitting on top for going on 2 years now. the poor thing is on its last legs so i am reworking my coffee station. i should post some pics of just how cheap i am when i get done.

ā€œJust give me a coffee. A normal coffee.ā€

1 Like

Oh, also this. I ran ā€œGregor Samsa stand in a window with a cup of coffeeā€ through Midjourney.

2 Likes

this is my coffee mug

6 Likes

this guy is brilliant in the realm of coffee.

2 Likes

I am a fan of natural roast coffee looking forward into turning this into espresso

1 Like

I used to hate coffee, but now I drink it every day. I drink no more than a cup a day so as not to have problems with sleep. I love almost any coffee - espresso, but I also love latte with blueberry syrup. I love brewing in a coffee maker, in a French press - I like using it. In general, when it comes to coffee, I like to experiment and find interesting combinations. The only thing I donā€™t do with coffee is I donā€™t roast it. I had a bad experience and I trust professionals to roast coffee

2 Likes

With me i dont talk to people at all before my coffee in the morning

3 Likes

6 Likes

The wife loves the coffee press now. I have been buying and trying several local beans and they certainly taste better.

1 Like

@regulareel @mutation666 @gee_one @TheDiddilyHorror @vivante @GoldenAngel1997 @Dexter_Kane @AlAl
Decided to move the discussion out of the things acquired recently thread, as I was getting really off-topic, but plenty on topic for this thread.

The part that broke on my $15 grinder after 3 days wasnā€™t the burr. It was the internal system / transmission going to the burr, that was glued to the chassis. Instead of the burr rotating, the whole things was rotating inside, together with the beans, leading to a bean mixer, without grinding them. Which is why I went for the $90 steel one, this thing feels like a tank. Iā€™ve used it for a few months, always cleaning it after each use, it always grinds really fine.

Iā€™m using an aeropress, Iā€™m almost out of paper filters, but I bought a set of 2 metal filters when I got it, so I wonā€™t ever run out. Iā€™m grinding on the finest setting, same as espresso and get light-medium roasted beans, but there is a slight chance that some grounds may make it through the really tiny holes, steeping inside the coffee for a long time, meaning that the coffee will taste best when fresh and then get overinfused if I let it sit too long.

That means I might need to adjust my grounds to be a bit coarser, maybe not french press coarse, but not (espresso) extra fine, maybe a medium coarse to fine. Then I have to adjust for the time I let the grounds steep in the hot water. Which may be slightly annoying, but nothing too bad, probably at most 20-30 seconds more, because I still have pressure building up inside the aeropress, even with the metal filter (tested it the first time I got the filters).

I kinda got used to paper filters keeping some of the coffee oils out of my coffee, so it will be interesting going back to Turkish coffee taste. I didnā€™t hate it, but I never liked the grounds at my last sip of coffee, especially when it gets cold.

3 Likes

I do like the clarity that I get from using paper filters. Donā€™t get me wrong, I do appreciate a good french press too.

2 Likes

Nescafe is popular in Eastern Europe, but I think nothing beat Lavazza on the coffee front. Jacobs Kronung gets pretty close. In the US, Peetā€™s Coffee (lol) is decent if you are in a pinch and need to buy something.

Oh, actually, I was quite shocked how good the Auchan and Carrefour brand coffees taste, the Columbia and Ethiopia ones especially, they tasted good both in aeropress and through the (manual) drip method (through tea filters - donā€™t judge, the coffee was a bit lighter, but tasted fantastic, and you could dip the filter with the grounds and let it steep a bit more if needed).

StarBucks taste like :poop: (well, it does in Europe too, they canā€™t make good black coffee, they have to add creamers, cream and tons of sugar to mask their horrible taste - so does Dunkinā€™ Donuts for that matter, but I havenā€™t tried making their coffee myself, unlike SB). I havenā€™t tried Death Wish and I probably never will.

In the US, youā€™d be surprised how many local coffee roasting companies are out there, Iā€™m now always trying to get locally roasted coffee beans (and other local stuff), to support my local economy. Iā€™m not going to give recommendations, I suggest people look up roasters around them instead of me telling them who to buy from.

My coffee doesnā€™t make a lot of crema for whatever reason, which sucks, crema is the best part.

Politely disagree.

I used to use the inverted method a lot and itā€™s what I started with, but I got used to the normal method, because the hot water dispenser I was using was not tall enough, making me have to push the plunger to the middle, but was just tall enough that the press and the mug fit almost perfectly underneath it, so Iā€™ve been using it ever since. Just pour, stir, quickly push the plunger and let it steep, because air cannot come in from the top seal, or the bottom water, the water / coffee just gets suspended, itā€™s brilliant.

Does tea bags count? You can buy empty tea bags in many places. I did try it, but I was boiling water on the stove, pouring a healthy dose of coffee in the bag, and pouring water over the coffee, kinda like a fake, but still technically true pour-over method. It was a slightly hard not to burn your fingers, but I got used to it. And if the coffee felt too weak, I would just dump the bag inside for 20-30 seconds more and mixing in the mug with the bag, lol. Take it out, let the coffee drip out, throw the bag and done with the cleaning.

After 2 years, which one do you prefer? Also, I see you also got a Moka, how about that? Or are you just doing one or another depending on the mood? I know you can get wildly different tastes from the different brewing method (like Turkish vs aeropress is completely different).

That almost sounds like Turkish coffee, lmao. I really like authentic Turkish coffee, but I wasnā€™t able to make good one myself. My grandma on the other handā€¦ but she does add sugar, like you are supposed to, to caramelize. I donā€™t. It still tastes good, but just not as good (although the sweet taste is kinda off-putting at the beginning, normally for me, the first sip is the best sip).

3 Likes

The sugar is a necessity; but amount/type I would treat, under your discretion
Havenā€™t done a turkish in long while - smash hit, on my first attempt [o a small crowd]
Bit more equipment / prep /cleanup be involved, but is such a rewarding sip

1 Like

There are a lot of Lavazza expressions.
Some of them are absolute trash. But honestly I am not that much of a sommelier to tell the difference. Everything over certain level is just fine for me.
My go to is weirdly enough Lavazza Rossa. Altho itā€™s one of the cheap ones it have a taste I like.

1 Like

Pretty much this. My daily is mostly the Areopress, but on Sundays sometimes I like to enjoy the luxury of time and do a Chemex brew.

2 Likes