The Coffee Thread

Have you thought about using cloth filters? Although, I don’t know how much of a hassle it is to clean/wash them.

Hah! Rossa was my favorite one too, until I started buying coffee from a small coffee shop, with weird natural hazelnuts flavor.

It might be an interesting try, but I’m not sure how much of a difference it would make, because the oils should just seep through the seams, just like on the thin holes in the metal.

1 Like

I decided to try the metal filter again today, I still have about 2 months of coffee filters I think. I forgot how thin the holes in the metal filters were, you can barely see through them. You can only see them if you look straight through them.

I ground the coffee like usual, just for the lulz, extra fine. I noticed a few very fine “dust” particles (likely coffee grounds, I do wash my mug and press and everything after each use) floating in my coffee, but I drank them in the first sip. I feel almost no difference in the coffee. It does feel a tad more bitter, but not by much.

You can still feel a bit of the dirt / acidic taste of the Peru beans. I count 30 seconds starting with pouring the water, then start pressing slowly, gets to about 40. If I start pressing at 20 seconds, it’s less strong and gets more of the natural flavors of the beans, but I need something to wake me up, not to taste good.

1 Like

Speak of the devil…
Never used a manual grinder before, happy to try for free. Grab before it gets fixed(if you’re in the US).

Edit: to clarify, do not give them any more information than needed. This could just end up being one of those address scraper deals where nothing shows up and they keep your data. Junk e-mail/address ideal

Today I have ground my beans a bit coarser, about 5 clicks, or a quarter spin of the grinder setting (not that this is saying anything, I don’t remember how many grind levels it had). The coffee tastes completely different, in the sense that it doesn’t have that burnty taste anymore.

4 Likes

Shaking off dust, in using this bugger… I needed a second take

4 Likes

Correction: the dust particles were actually oil floating on top of the water / coffee. I forgot to add it here. It makes sense, the grounds tend to sync. There are some very, very fine coffee grounds that sync to the bottom, but you can’t even tell them from the coffee, only when there’s like 2 drops of coffee left you can notice the grounds drying on the bottom, it almost looks like cocoa powder.

It makes sense, because the paper filter was blocking the coffee oils from going in the mug.

Those are called, ‘fines’.

They’re almost unavoidable but better grinders will typically have less of them.

Also, if you don’t already know. You should use a spray bottle with water to spritz the beans before you grind them (or use a few drops of water). This helps with managing fines to not clog up your grinder, as the slight increase in moisture will prevent static electrical buildup.

A relatively minor procedure but it has immediately noticeable affects.

1 Like

My steel grinder should not be combined with water. But I always clean it after each use with a paintbrush that came included with it, it gets pretty deep in the grinder, does a really good job. As for electrostatic, I don’t think it’s an issue in my case, to me it looks like drier beans stick less than the oilier beans. And the beans I’ve been getting are pretty oily, which makes brushing them off a bit tedious, but nothing too bad, I can be done with cleaning the aeropress and the grinder faster than I would have cleaned my french press back when I had one.

Right… Lavazza Oro then…
Made a nice foam on top, it have a lot of flavor, it’s absolutely fine.
I must get some Rossa to compare directly, but I enjoy this one. For cheap daily - absolutely fine.

PS: Now that I gave it a minute to sit and rest and added some sugar to it - I am not so sure I like it as much…

Just got a new Baratza Encore grinder for $120. It replaced an old, old Bodum $99 grinder - the on/off switch was loose and was tripping the kitchen breaker, could have been repaired perhaps with 3D printing and several hours of work.

5 Likes

Grinding some non-instant white rice occasionally can help clean a burr grinder, other than removing the burrs and brushing them.

I had green coffee for the first time.
Pretty darn tasty.

1 Like

Just never try to actually make cofffee with green beans because they are as hard as rocks and will break your grinder.

Yeah, that’s the first thing I saw when I looked into them. Not something I would drink regularly, thankfully.

Any recommendations for a ceramic or stainless steel French press?

Bodum seems the standard french press of choice. Ours is mostly stainless steel with a plastic top and handle. We got ours from… ehem… Starbucks… Its fine.

Consider how many people will regularly use it plus some capacity to make coffee for guests. I certainly wished ours was bigger, but regularly we use for 2 250ml cups for 2 people.

1 Like

I never used a ceramic ones, but the coffees made in my stylish stainless steel and glass French Press was really good (well, the coffee I had was also really flavory). I left that in Europe, I did not want to break it in transit.

1 Like

I know you are asking about french presses but hear me out. I have a stainless Bodum and it is great. However I’ve had every coffee maker of every style known to man and my favorite is the old one like your grandparents had. I know its not a hip trendy choice but I’m serious in saying it is the last coffee maker I’ll ever buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02811-12-Cup-Stainless-Coffee/dp/B00006IV0Q/ref=asc_df_B00006IV0Q?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80539344341703&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138871905087&psc=1

1 Like

I have a percolator already. It’s great for making coffee for 2+ people but I like the French press when it is just me.

I broke my glass bodum last week and it’s the second one I have gone through. Looking to just get something a little more durable.

1 Like