The Beer Garden: What do you drink, and why?

Bringing it back! Having a nitro dry irish stout at a local brewery in Northern Washington. Exactly what it sounds like, and better than Guinness. Not that that’s a hard mark.

A bit nutty, very malty, not too dry, quite good for the chilly weather. And only 4.2% so i can have two and drive back to the hotel :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Is that a real photo or are you just trolling? lol

I like Irish Death for a good buzz and it taste pretty good, real smooth. During the summer I like blonde ale’s and lighter beers. Usually Henry Weinhard’s

I drink vodka to get shit faced at times. I am fighting it though better lately. I am glad it hasn’t gotten to the point where I am an alcoholic but the potential is there and glad I recognize it. Half the battle.

Had some Kirkland (Costco) bourbon after dinner. I normally don’t get the 103 proof one, but it was all they had. Still has good flavor though.

Some mead for a midnight snack. I’ve tried a few different ones from this brand and so far everything has been good. They all have the bread and honey flavor that I like. This one is a bit less sweet than the others. I’ve only tried a couple other brands of mead, but so far this one is my favorite.

4 Likes

There’s a meadery down by my father’s place… they have some that are definitely not sweet. Would do a mead trade :wink:

Definitely a real photo.

Living in SE Wisconsin there is no shortage of bars with a half decent number of good beers on stock, I primarily go for Stouts, Porters, Bocks and Dopplebocks, but will also go for red ales, sour ales and ciders depending on what I’m feeling like or eating with it, like if it’s something with a bunch of cheese or fatty a cider or sour ale pairs better as it’s flavor will cut through the cheese or fat to clean the pallet.

I can’t stand IPAs though, may as well be trying to drink a can of axe body spray…

Sierra Nevada Brut IPA

First one I’ve tried of the current brut IPA trend. Smells hoppy, citrusy, some pine, and pale malt. Very clear yellow with a bit of white head. Taste is surprisingly mellow, lime and pear with blanc de blanc notes. Malt flavor is barely there. Quite dry as the name implies.

Overall I’d give it a 7 out of 10. It’s good, but I feel like the flavor fell a bit short of what I was hoping for. I also think it would be a better summer beer for people into that kind of thing because of how dry and light it is. Could definitely have a bottle or three and feel fine other than the 6.2% ABV kicking in.

1 Like

IMG_20190128_214431

Bell’s Hopslam

Scored some recently since its one of those “once a year” limited release things… Hypeslam, if you think Bell’s is full of it, should just make more of this but they wont. They’re too addicted to the yearly demand spike.

I sacrilegiously poured it into my Tripel Karmeliet glass… sorry @aLilBabyOtter, I should have matched you with the same good ol’ Beglian beer… next time!

1 Like

One of my favorites. Lots of alcohols. A little boozy flavor, but it’s surprisingly smooth.

1 Like

Pretty good stout…

2 Likes

1 Like

Nice IPA for the warmer weather, Terrapin Hopsecutioner

1 Like

I dont currently have a picture but 10 barrel lager in boise is a great choice over the local domestics such as coors aka piss water

I had The Bruery Sour in the Rye the other day was amazing

Went through the entire thread, and while I saw some honorable mentions (Space Dust, Little Sumpin’, maybe a couple others), I didn’t see any of my current favorites. Pretty loyal to two breweries right now:

Troeg’s (PA):
Java Head Stout
Nimble Giant
Blizzard Hops

Wicked Weed (NC):
Pernicious IPA
Lieutenant Dank
Napoleon Complex

I particularly recommend the Wicked Weed line to the folks out there that have tried an IPA or two but haven’t found one they liked yet, but also to any IPA lover looking for something refreshingly different. Perhaps not for the microbrew ‘purist’ as they were bought out by one of the big uglies in 2017 - clashes a little with my own philosophical leanings - but they’re so damn good (and I’m also not mad that I can now buy them in MD as they’re more widely distributed).

My haul for the 4th.

Local double IPA with brown sugar.

Enigma from Tapistry Brewing

So many opinions are presented here that you can definitely choose the best drink for yourself.

Local brewery made a Rauchbier and put it on nitro.

It’s amazing.