The Beer Garden: What do you drink, and why?

Oh God, it’s sooooo good.

Prairie Artisan Ales “Deconstructed Bomb!: Coffee”

This is a take on their own beer simply titled “Bomb!” The original bomb is aged on Cacao, Coffee, and Chili Peppers. This beer is just without the Peppers and Cacao.

And it is almost as good as the original.

It tastes of some of the darkest roast coffee that you’ve ever had, and maybe darker. It begins with that strong coffee flavor and mellows out into a savory, malty imperial stout. Almost sweet.

It’s about as good as a stout can be, for my taste. 9/10 I’m buying a ton of these next time I go.

also, there is a Deconstructed Bomb!: Chilli Peppers, and Cacao that I’ll be reviewing as well. They should be just as good.

3 Likes

Gneiss Brewing Himbeere

Berliner weiss with Lactobacillus and Brettanomyces aged on local Raspberries in French Oak. Or in short, a sour ale with raspberries. Fruity, tart, and light, with a slightly sticky-sweet finish.

Probably a 7.5 out of 10? I like it overall, I enjoy how light it is and the raspberries shine through without making it taste like an FMB. It’s wicked tart though, I can pretty much feel my saliva glands start gushing on the first sip.

2 Likes

I guess I’ll dox myself a little bit with this one:

Was out riding around getting to know the city and ran into this place stating their cherry and blackberry sours were back! So I stopped of course :grin:

This is the blackberry sour and it’s quite nice, if a bit middling. Not overpowering but staunchly in the sour department, relatively mild tart effect but nicely effervescent and crisp. The sour profile falls away fast and leaves a dry fruit flavor for a nice finish. 7/10, I’ll definitely be back. And I think I’ll try the cherry next.

1 Like

Sierra Nevada Narwhal

Smells like roasted malts, coffee, and dark chocolate. Looks like motor oil. Definitely thinner than motor oil though. Taste leans towards the roasted malt and dark coffee when fridge cold, but a little warmer and it starts to lean more towards dark chocolate. There’s also a little booziness at any temp. I prefer it probably closer to 50-55F than fridge temp because of that dark chocolate taste.

Overall probably and 8.5 out of 10? It’s a very good stout and the price isn’t bad. The 60 IBU also provides a very good balance in my opinion. I still just don’t like booziness in beers still. This would probably age very well, so I’m keeping a couple bottles to find out.

I’m not actually drinking this at 9AM, the pic was a few days ago.

3 Likes

At the moment I have some Jack Black lager in my fridge. Its a beautiful local craft beer where I stay in Cape Town SA. Very easy drinking and has a great flavour. If Im feeling brave, I buy four of their Butcher Blocks. They’re 440 ml four packs at 6% AV and have a bitter taste with a very well received fruity taste at the end. Its one of those beers you wish had lower AV so you could enjoy more of them at a time if you know what I mean.

Pabst Easy

Tastes kinda like a lager, tastes kinda like water. Smells about the same. Palatable.

4 out of 10, probably the best American Light Lager I’ve had.

1 Like

Had to get music set up at the new apartment. Had three Fresh Squeezed IPA’s too. Love the beer, miss my ladies.

Hoppy but not a NEIPA, balanced and smooth. Honestly hard to beat it as it’s nice and bright but not sweet or missing the base character of an IPA like so many of the hazy variety tend to. 7/10 a solid regular.

1 Like

This thread is my new to-do list.

5 Likes

Jack’s Abby House Lager

To me this is exactly what I think a good, traditional lager ought to be. It’s grainy without tasting like bread, a bit sweet without being cloying, and a hint of bitterness for balance. It also doesn’t have the bizarre almost corn-like taste many lagers seem to have on my taste buds.

A 7.5 out of 10 for me. It’s definitely a well made beer and the price is good ($16 for a 15 pack locally). I certainly would not deny one if offered.

1 Like

Conehead IPA

My current favorite IPA. Good balance of hoppy with a slight maltyness (malt added late into the wort).

10/10. Ingredients for 2 cases is ~$35

1 Like

I pretty much only enjoy IPA’s and this is one of my favorites. Brewed in PEI, Canada it has a fairly strong bitter taste with a little bit of spiciness. 6.5% alc./vol.

1 Like

Baxter Innuendo

To start, this is a stout. A so-called White Russian Stout, and yes, it is actually that pale.

The simplest way to describe it is to imagine something like Founders Breakfast Stout with it’s roasty malts, bitter chocolate, and coffee flavors. Then dial down the roasted malt, but dial up the biscuity/bready malts. Innuendo is a bit creamy with notes of coffee, milk chocolate, and biscuity malts.

This gets a solid 8.5 out of 10 from me. It’s not the best stout I’ve ever had, but I dig that there’s a lot more than meets the eye with it.

2 Likes

pumpkin rum!
easy to make and kicks yer backside over the moon!
take a stoneware crock and choose a small pumpkin that will fit inside it.
cut the top open as if you were making a jack o lantern, clean out the seeds, and pack the pumpkin with brown sugar, sliced apple and a handful of raisins!
cover crock and store in a warm dark place.
after 3 weeks check to see if the pumpkin flesh has completely dissolved (with exception of the skin) if not close it up for a couple more weeks if needed.
remove the skin and filter with 4 layers of cheesecloth and let settle.
poor off top 2 inches of fluid and discard (do not drink it it will be toxic)
it will separate from the fluid below it
the syrupy fluid left over tastes like maple syrup, smells like pumkin pie and kicks like a team of mules

Having an Outer Planet Brewing oatmeal stout. At 8.5% it’s a little boozy but not overwhelming and it rounds out the mild coffee and stronger chocolate malt flavors. It’s really nice and toasty.

Edit: I’m having a second. But no third, I can feel it already and glad I’m not driving.

2 Likes

Estrella (lager) - I’ve moved to Spain recently and it’s the only beer available in most the supermarkets. I don’t miss english weather but I miss a good pint of ale… :-/

This was pretty good. Kinda light for a tripel I think, but it was refreshing.

2 Likes

No pics because I was facing somebody last night, but I had two new ones last night.

Allagash Bon Vieux Temps - Extremely sour, but it got better after a few sips. It definitely got the oak character from its aging, and maybe even some of the wine from the barrel. Kinda basic feeling though? A 7.5 out of 10. Good, but not my favorite from Allagash.

Bissel Brothers Substance - Imagine the hop flavor/aroma of a West Coast IPA, but the bitterness of a NEIPA. I’m not exactly sure what else to say about it, it was an IPA. A 7 out of 10 I guess. It was more than palatable , but in the IPA field I don’t think it’s all that special.

I rather enjoyed San Miguel when I was on holiday there.
IMO Estrella is quite bland.

1 Like

I pass on beer now and head straight for the liquor …

Vodka is my drink.

Orval (bottled May 2017)

Wow.

9 out of 10.

2 Likes