The Ancient Computer Thread!

Am I doing this right?

4 Likes
1 Like

Um hi yes I would like A ONE WAY TICKET TO JAPAN PLEASE

1 Like

Fuckin what thats sick

It’s good to see that they are realistic with prices, instead of like we Americans who charge a lot for old stuff.

1 Like

“i got this mac 2000$ new” is a g3 power mac “trying for 1500$ no low balls”

3 Likes

My grandparents can’t understand that a pentium 4 extreme wolkstation isn’t worth 1200 anymore.

Computers are always bought at a loss, so buy a good one :3

@moriarty are you in okinawa?

@FaunCB Yes. About two years now. And mainland Japan a year before that. Switch to pm before we get yelled at for off topic.

1 Like

Found this gem in work today.

That matrix font…

Still has the discs in the box including a Win 95 CD. The board is in the computer controlling an old profile cutter. Runs XP now and auto cad 2006 I think. CRTs for days built into a console that would look at home in a aging nuclear facility. The earliest date I could see was 1997 on the win95 CD, though the drivers for the profiler are '00.

4 Likes

This is super cool. IDK if anyone else thinks so, but this is dank to me.

5 Likes

I likey. Super cool. Interesting to know that some games would spit out debugs on the monochrome card. I wonder if developers regularly had dual monitor setups then back in the day?

To my understanding this was a rare feature. AKB had a hell of a time finding anything that’d use the sort of tech in the first place, and then it ended up not working anyways. I’d love to try it out ffs. I could find uses for that sorta thing even nowadays. Its like rudimentary multitasking! IMAGINE running X10 on one screen, then running powerline management or temperature control on another. Especially modern day. Secure as fuck.

Actively? Back in the day? Probably not even in the realm of thought. Multiple screens like this would have to be used in a specific multi-task application. An IDE, game and debug, something like that.

Damn would it be cool to see more of though.

I thought this’d tickle someone

6 Likes

Thanks for the memories! Word 6 had almost 20, said on the box that a 286 was the minumum so I had a 50z (dead now) with 12 meg so I gave it a try, it worked but barely.

The things you can do with a 5150 never ceases to amaze, I still miss mine.

This always throws me off as a guitarist adn van Halen Fan ;):

2 Likes

I still think DOS 6.22 is the ultimate OS but if you like pain you can always try this :slight_smile:

Without Minix there would be no Linux
https://www.nettamer.net
drop dead easy internet suite for 8088 and up, kinda fun watching a 5150 parsing html…then…“wow this actually works!”
only works on Lynx friendly sites, lynx is a catchall word for all text based web browsers
1 Like

That looks awful but I want to play with it

1 Like

I wasted a whole day installing it on my 5150 (Minix) and and moved around and used a few commands, then nothing.
Still there was the satisfaction of “hey I just installed a unix on an 8088”

As far as I know only the 386 version can connect to the internet, I was never able to get Minix to work on a microchannel architecture system like on the IBM PS/2 line.

I still miss the PS/2 newsgroup, it was a funplace and the people were amazing, when the second playstation came out the forum was flooded and died

At the time the book that goes with Minix was 70 bucks and no way I could justify the expense, now it is much cheaper used

More OS choices for ancients
Free Dos project was a free MS-DOS clone that seems to be re surging
They even have a youtube channel with recent videos

Freedows seems to be quite dead, this was a freeware GNU liscened windows 3.1 clone. If you have an 8088 Windows 3.0 will work as well as Word 1.0 and Excell 1.0, software options for these old machines are limitless
www.fdisk.com was a great site for dos based internet stuff but seems to be down
Looks like MS released the sourced code for MS-DOS 2.1
https://github.com/microsoft/MS-DOS
Really good article about Minix
https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2016/3/198874-lessons-learned-from-30-years-of-minix/fulltext
How an undocumented interupt 15 caused allot of headaches and Linus Torvalds first postings in the Minix newsgroup, also the difference between microkernal and macrokernal so that even a truck driver can understand.