The Ancient Computer Thread!

2 Likes

cough

1 Like

Cough cough

I don’t think this is old enough but oh well this is my power mac 6100/60av trying to play Diablo

This is something odd, its a sonnet g3 cpu upgrade that installs in place of the video card riser slot.

64mb of ram that would have cost $3000 in 1994

Definitely a computer that thinks different is possible to have this configured with 3 different cpus at the same time. The powerpc 601, a g3 or g4, and a Pentium. here is a LGR video on a similar mac.

7 Likes

I would certainly say that’s old enough

1 Like

Looks like a you problem

What is that cpu upgrade

1 Like

Yes, it looks like I live in the wrong country. I’ve noticed a lot of “unavailable” vids lately. If I had a better data plan I would run thru a VPN but I’m not that interested for this vid.

1 Like

Its an IBM 5155 portable on the internet :3

2 Likes

It is a Sonnet Technologies Crescendo/Nubus G3 266/1M.
http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=322&expand=_a1_b366&action=b366#b366
https://everymac.com/upgrade_cards/sonnettech/crescendo_g3_nubus/crescendo_g3_266_2_nubus.html

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure this counts, but interesting none the less:

Totally seized up and rusted on the inside hah

5 Likes

When you find yourself looking at the pic to see if there is anything interesting…

2 Likes

I’ve gone to recycle centers to buy parts out of dead computers mainly old power Mac parts
Lots of hp dual core Xeon g2-3 blades here and and fuck of ddr2 512 -1gb sticks but very few 2gb+ I’ve been testing ram and now I have 6gb working on my G5 (post to follow in my thread)

3 Likes

We have a few local electronics recyclers around so its no big thing to take something to them and they pay you cash for most things. They do charge for CRT and plasma displays though. I guess they take care of demand fairly well as I’ve never seen such a run on recycling like in this story before. Maybe I shouldn’t take it for granted?

That said, unfortunately the ones near me don’t let you pick and are rather efficient at scrapping the valuable metals quickly so there’s no buying parts. There’s one I know of further out from the city but they let the stuff sit outside so its mostly junk rather quickly anyway even if you could buy something.

2 Likes

ive been looking for smaller crt and rare sony hdmi hdcrt recyclers sometimes if you make friends can hook you up

alot of the hdcrts are SUPER ez to repair

http://www.amiga.serveftp.net/Schematics/A500_schematics/A500_R6_schematic.pdf

OOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Looks useful if you are planning some serious modding :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

After spending too much cash on my recent November Amiga 500+ project I’m planning a DOS gaming machine project for December. There are some games that can be made to run on an Amiga but will only do so with serious investment in addition hardware. E.g. Doom, TFX, Quake etc. A decent 486 or Pentium PC is a better bet - but those don’t seem to be as cheap as they once were (and take up more space than I have).

So… this time I’m staying cheap won’t be going back to original hardware of the period. Something like a HP T5720 thin client or similar is recommended by Phil’s computer lab for such a project - although sound output in DOS might pose a few challenges. Once I get something in and have up and running I’ll create a thread on that if anyone is interested?

1 Like

A little teaser of some very useful … thing I am doing as a side project.
Not really ancient, just 1999, but I was looking specifically for an old palmtop/UMPC theoretically able to run modern Linux to use it as a fun portable terminal for my engineering tasks.

It’s far from done (as you can see, the only way I can power it on right now is by connecting it to molex 12V), because parts are pretty rare and are stored all over the world.
But I can a make a thread about it when it is done, if someone is interested in running modern secure Linux on such hardware (no Spectre or Meltdown as a bonus, lol. But plenty of other hardware holes actually).

4 Likes

@wendell