Sysadmin Mega Thread

yup, very high 6 to low7 figure mortgage is what i’d need too.

bought a house with the ex for about 400k, split, i got the whole mortgage. bank would have loaned us a mil, glad i said “err. no, fuck that” or i’d be screwed about now.

But that’s why i have a 50km (~30 mile) commute each way.

1 Like

Man when I switched from contracting to full-time I cut my pay in half… But I had a baby and had to get reliable insurance… Still sucks though

1 Like

Jesus and I thought that house prices in the Greater London area were bad…

1 Like

Yeah, NYC… I could buy an apartment for less, but owning a pocket of air in the sky isn’t exactly what I’m interested in.

1 Like

So I’ve been tasked with setting up an image processing server to reduce repetitive Photoshop tasks. For this task, I have a 12-core 2013 Mac Pro of all things (not going to use macOS though). Part of me wants to take the path of least resistance and just set up some hot folders and processing images via imagemagick calls in bash or python or whatever.

But the better half of me wants to take the opportunity to learn kubernetes and deploy some stateless imagemagick containers that perform the conversions…

The opportunity here is that I’m reasonably confident that no one here knows:

• What imagemagick is
  • What containers are
  • How long it should take me to complete this task

So I think I’d like to take advantage of this latitude and take a bit longer to get them something functional while being paid to learn new things. Additionally, of course, if it ever becomes necessary to scale up later, that’ll be a walk in the park.

Anyway, this is what I had in mind:

How possible is it to perform OpenCL workloads in a container? imagemagick supports it for some operations including resizing.

Kubernetes is an abstraction too far for one server imo. It’s a good project tho.

Very. You need to pass the dri device to the container, I believe. You can do the same with plex Transcoding.

1 Like

Yeah, I was just going to use it for the sake of learning, not really to provide tangible benefit to the project. But sure, might just go with plain old docker.

I am going to put ESXi on the machine because I need to have a test client vm. Then just run containers in a Linux VM.

CentOS 8 comes out tomorrow. I wonder what time they’ll release it.

Tbh, it may end up being easier for cleanup if you do ESXi -> Linux VM -> Kubernetes/Docker containers

1 Like

I strongly suggesting using MacOS and Automator with folder actions.

You could have this job sorted out in literally 5-10 minutes.

e.g. as per my desktop
35%20am

I get wanting to have a toy project, but this is something you can knock out with the supported OS on this platform in minutes. Then have more time to spend on more difficult to solve problems :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I’m planning on, plus a macOS vm that will be the test client.

Ah, “image processing” in this case is fairly complex and will involve scraping and auditing metadata and doing various prepress color management things, and will eventually send assets to a DAM via API. The imagemagick operations will only be part of it.

Also, I have had problems in the past with automator not triggering on watched folders…

In other news, I get to do this soon. Came home to down network :frowning:

Fair enough.

I’d still see if if Automator can do it though. You can also run docker on macOS, so there’s that. :smiley:

1 Like

ESXi supports osx vm?

1 Like

On Apple hardware it does. It’s the only way to have macOS on a hypervisor without violating eula. Mac Pro 2013 and more recently, some Mac Minis are officially supported by VMWare.

I guess technically you wouldn’t be violating Eula if as long as the hypervisor was on Apple hardware, but with ESXi, you don’t have to do hacky EFI things to get the OS to boot.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha. I didn’t realize that. Since ESXi is pretty much dead in any non-entrenched environment at this point, I haven’t really been paying attention to it.

1 Like

Why is ESXI dead? What is everyone using?

OpenStack I’m guessing.

So the RHEL pipeline just got more confusing…

https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOSStream

Ehh, some, but most are using a variant of containerization.

So, openshift or k8s

It doesn’t scale.

It gets increasingly unwieldy at scale.

1 Like

Interesting if you could expand on this in another thread that would be great. But I understand time constraints and all.

2 Likes

Nah, you can run macOS inside of Fusion just fine, or Parallels or Virtualbox. But yes, you need to run it on Mac hardware to be legal.

You don’t need to do hacky efi things with Fusion either.

Depends.

I’m in a mining company where we still have a massive windows infrastructure and it is all on ESXi.

Legacy systems built on MS-SQL, support for Windows fleet, etc.

1 Like