Sysadmin Mega Thread

rather not get chewed out.

1 Like

How dare you use tabs, instead of spaces! Fucker!

2 Likes

Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8 characters. There are heretic movements that try to make indentations 4 (or even 2!) characters deep, and that is akin to trying to define the value of PI to be 3.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.10/process/coding-style.html

8 characters

nam flashbacks

1 Like

Btw, decided to reinstall my infrastructure with OEL.

Just got GitLab working.

Minecraft is still worked tho :sob:

On the bright side I was able to easily tune the vms for performance.

1 Like

Begun, the Tab Wars have.

1 Like

Been looking into Unifiā€™s UNMS but canā€™t find anything about setting it up for HA. Anyone know if this is possible?

Idk about UNMS specifically, but when I looked into this for Unifi Controller, the ā€œsolutionā€ was to run it as a VM in a HA/fault-tolerant hypervisor cluster. Or in other words, they donā€™t have a solution.

Who knew ultrawides were for kernel development?

3 Likes

(I knew)

1 Like

hah I guess thatā€™s a good point.

They also have a soft 80 character line limit. with the additional note of "we donā€™t really bitch about it too much, but try to keep to it.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your tab set to?

I set my tab to 2 spaces.

I like to use four.

Oh god.

How can you read code that way?

4 is definitely the sweet spot.

Linters and syntax highlighters. If it was just BW I would do 4 spaces.

1 Like

Currently compiling my own version of ffmpeg as Iā€™ve decided to to switch to Jellyfin for awhile.

2 Likes

Let me know how that works out for you.

1 Like

Took my server 20 minutes to compile it.

Epyc is epic.

2 Likes

Nice.

Alright, so the rpm package provided by jellyfin is lame because it cannot properly detect a manually compiled version of ffmpeg so I just installed via source code method.

I even setup all the proper paths with symbolic links in /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin. Seems that their script only checks if ffmpeg is installed via the package manager.