Sysadmin Mega Thread

but to get back to telnet there are some rudimentary commands one can do with telnet to check if mail is getting sent on a mail host.

Instead we’ve switched to nc.

1 Like

Yeah, you can do various network diagnostic stuff with it, but at this point there are better tools for that (like nc).

teach me some netcat…?

I honestly haven’t had to use it recently, but I remember I used to use telnet to test open ports which you do with netcat like this:

2 Likes

sudo vuln, heads up…

3 Likes

Anyone experienced with bind config? Kinda stumped…

Nice to see a lack of scary stuff in the newest openzfs point release. Impressive that they got it this far so quickly.

1 Like

Just heard about it. Updated my Linode server and rebooted just in case someone was already in there.

1 Like

Stupid question: there’s no way to get an intermediate CA from let’s encrypt right? Just host certificates?

Eh nvm, I didn’t realize intermediate CAs couldn’t be constrained to a specific domain.

1 Like

Finally got my old 24U rack back from my parents.

3 Likes

What’s that Debian thing?

1 Like

that is a debian sticker I slapped on my 3d printer

2 Likes

Does anyone else have colo space? A couple times year, I get a call/email from a different DC rep saying they’re my sales rep and do an intro and each time, they don’t have my correct contact info or company name or anything…

Got one today who says he can renew my contract at a lower rate, so we’ll see how that goes…

I’d be suspicious, but they haven’t asked for any sensitive info…

1 Like

colo space?

datacenter colocation

Just means I’m renting rack space.

1 Like

I wish :roll_eyes:

It’s close to the same cost as the electricity it took to run it in my apartment.

1 Like

trying not to derail your question

My lab only costs me $30 a month so if you wanna go havsies we can splurge to get business fiber :yay:

4 Likes

is the cost of internet included?

Yeah, mine is $450 flat for 1/4 rack (11u) with 50/50 and power, although they’ve never put anyone else in the rack so I guess they’re expecting me to expand at some point. Depending on the alleged lower rate I’m getting, I might bump bandwidth to 100/100.

Technically in the contract there’s a limit on the amperage, but they’ve never enforced it or it’s never been an issue. 10 E5670s eat a lot of juice though.