Steam tried to monetize mods (Its over now at least for Skyrim...)

If modders want a bigger cut of the profits, they should build a game from scratch.

This isn't about milking something, as it is about controlling intellectual property.

To start, I've never heard of Nexus, as most people I assume haven't. Secondly, going through steam will make sure the mod works with the game in question. Thirdly, these mods can now be promoted on a platform as everyone benefits.

While you want to say that Valve is milking something, how much does it cost valve to host and distribute mods?

While people like to argue that modding a game takes "hundreds if not thousands of hours" to make a mod, the game they are modding took ten times that to make, if not more.

As for this "screwing the modders" idea, nobody is forcing them to do this, unless it's the IP owner (like bethesda) who is strong arming them into "put it on Steam... or else."

Just for the hosting bandwidth for a popular game. Steam wants 75% of the revenue. Creative people always seem to get screwed over.

So, while everyone is saying Valve is taking 75% of the sale is wrong.

if it's the original Dev who decides the Mod cut, there could be a bunch of companies that are like: "I love that people mod our game, we don't want a cut, we get a cut when people buy the game in the first place." and the cut could be

Valve: 30% (as they do in general)
IP Holder (dev): 0%
Modder: 70%

2 Likes

Get your facts straight before you start spouting this.

All I have is the unwashed mass that is the internet. I guess I should wait till its a peer reviewed paper on Google scholar before I piss you off on your soap box.

This is the only official statement about revenue sharing that I have found man
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoplegalagreement/?appid=728501

Also the 25% is confirmed by a lot of people and mod creators, this percentage is not defined by the mod creator.

Also I have been banned from the steam community, but I am not complaining, I exposed my complaints in an inappropriate way. So right now I can't talk with any mod creator to confirm this.

The 45% to Bethesda is also a bit misleading as well. Bethesda in this case is NOT the publisher, they are the rights holder. In this case the publisher would be Zenimax so that 45% is likely split 25/20 between Zenimax and Bethesda. So look at the distribution now.
Modder: 25%
Valve: 30%
Bethesda: 25%
Zenimax: 20%
I'd say that's a pretty even cut. And I've said it before and I'll say it again, this whole fiasco can be summed up as: "give a man an inch and he'll try to take a mile".

There are very interesting posts at reddit /r/pcmasterrace, some big modders are expresing their feelings about this topic so I recommend reading those.

[quote="Kiaxa, post:67, topic:79122"]
Modder: 25%
Valve: 30%
Bethesda: 25%
Zenimax: 20%
[/quote
So its the music industry all over again. Companies leech onto others and suck away when the internet lets creative people get directly to customers anyway. I would make a great leech. I have no artistic talent.

Honestly, it is like they want to encourage people to pirate. You know how often you have to deal with this nonsense if you pirated the game (and have a decent crack)? None. You want to install the mod? Just drop that shit in the directory and boom, done. I swear to god if I see them complain about pirating after this, I am going to lose my shit. Also, now Steam is pushing people away from using steam works even more. Come on, guys. Fuck this.

Exactly, and that is the main thing that makes me rage, Valve and the Publisher only want to make money by exploiting other peoples creativity and work.
But you can also argue: "We also exploit them because we use their mods without any compensation."
I think we need to find a balance between those two arguments.
I am OK with supporting them and even buying mods but I will not buy anything if Valve and Publishers will take a penny from them.

I'm not finding where you found that image. I'm currently digging through the workshop site.

I was thinking that the mods are exploiting the work of the original devs/publishers/valve considering they are building their home on someone else's property.

That Image is from a mod creator. The only way to see it in is being a mod creator and accepting their "contract" I think, but again I am banned from the steam community and I can't confirm this with my own account.

Modders could sell things directly. Cut the middle men.

So what about the restoration mods?
Those mods fix tons a bugs that the devs/publishers never cared to solve.
And Bethesda is famous for releasing half finished games with tons of bugs.

The actual numbers are
Valve 30%
Bethesda 45%
Modder 25%

30% for steam is the standard rate. Bethesda set their own and the modders cut.

I am sue this was posted on reddit but I am in a mobile and cannot readily find a link. This is what is being reported.

@mkk are you saying you think the current system as proposed is good? Just wondering, I don't agree but I think with a little changing it would be a very good system but currently this is just disgusting.

Nexus is a fairly large site. I'd say most of the people who are into TES/Fallout modding have heard of them.

Also, going through Steam doesn't guarantee any kind of compatibility with other mods, or even future updates to the game.

In fact, downloading from Nexus with the Mod Organizer is vastly superior and less likely to break the game than the workshop system.

I don't have access to that information, but countless sites have managed to do it with ads and premium memberships as the only source of income, so I would assume that the cost isn't astronomical.

1 Like

Those people can choose to monetize it, or they can choose not to. So far I haven't seen anything that is forcing anyone into this.

Unless the Publisher/dev team is going to start doing that.

1 Like

That falls into legal territory of copyright infringement.