Steam tried to monetize mods (Its over now at least for Skyrim...)

Could take donations. Suggested donations. If the people using the mods knew of the situation that they were in with regard to only getting 25% and all that, people might be willing to donate to the organization responsible for the mods.

I was mostly asking with a rhetorical concept.

It's not cheap, This site isn't cheap, and we don't host terabytes of files.

And you are right, they are not being forced to do this as far as I know.
This is like everything else in life, there are people that disagree with this and there are people that agree.
The thing is, a balance between the general gamer population/ mod creators/ and dev/publishers is better than the actual system that Valve and Bethesda are throwing at us.

Well I paid Value and Bethesda when I purchased Oblivion and Skyrim there work was done.

So some modder make something epic. I have to pay Valve and Bethesda again for nothing and the modder gets 25% for there effort ?

I know modders do this for free. There awesome. But if money had to be paided it better go to the modders not the fucking arse holes you allready paided off to get the product. There cashing in on other peoples creativity.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=72850

The percentage of revenue an item creator receives from direct sales of their item in this Workshop is 25%, as stipulated in the Supplemental Workshop Terms. Your individual share may be smaller if you have added other contributors that share in the royalty payments.

Not sure if anyone shared this already

1 Like

So what being said is the modders get all of the money or none of the money, correct?

1 Like

I think the main issue here is not the valve cut, although that is a little high for me liking it so the bethesda/zenimax cut. I have a lot to write up and express clearly which I will shortly but right now I will say that the current set up is not in the interest of keeping a function modding community on steam.

Thats why I think this system needs to be more balanced and take in consideration all parts involved. This is not happening as of today.

Thanks for the link man, I was unable to find it, can I quote you and put this in the main post?

Sure.

I would be fine with paided mods if the mod creators got the money. Some of the madders put so much time and effort making and updating mods through game patches its deserved. Giving them 25% is a joke.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoplegalagreement/?appid=72850

Lets look at the whole rule set. and find the item we are looking for before we start pointing fingers.

tl;dr: Here's the key line in all this.
The percentage of Adjusted Gross Revenue that you are entitled to receive will be determined by the developer/publisher of the Application associated with the Workshop to which you have submitted your Contribution (“Publisher”), and will be described on the applicable Workshop page.

Basically, if you want to get pissed about a 25% share, you yell at Zenimax, and Bethesda. People are getting pissed at the mailman for his salary if it was a commissioned cut of every parcel delivered.

1. Revenue Share for Paid Distribution of Contributions. If your Contribution is distributed for a fee (whether in-Application or via the Steam Workshop), you may be entitled to receive a portion of the Adjusted Gross Revenue (as defined below) that is collected for the Contribution. The percentage of Adjusted Gross Revenue that you are entitled to receive will be determined by the developer/publisher of the Application associated with the Workshop to which you have submitted your Contribution (“Publisher”), and will be described on the applicable Workshop page. Valve will remit payment of any revenue share to which you are entitled in accordance with directions from the applicable Publisher, and in accordance with Valve’s payment procedures. Generally, payment is made thirty (30) days from the end of the calendar month in which the Adjusted Gross Revenue was received. For reasons of fraud protection, no payment is made earlier than ninety (90) days after the initial copy of a Contribution is distributed. For available payment methods and associated minimum transfer amounts, please see the FAQ page.
    These definitions apply to this Section 1.

"Adjusted Gross Revenue" means gross revenue actually received by Valve from the distribution of copies of the Contribution, less the Applicable Adjustments (defined below).

"Applicable Adjustments" means (a) returns, discounts, refunds, fraud or chargebacks; and (b) Customer Taxes (defined below), if and only to the extent that Customer Taxes have been included in the calculation of gross revenue earned.

“Customer Taxes” means taxes that are imposed on a customer of Valve with respect to the distribution, sale or license of copies of the Contribution (for example, sales, use, excise, value-added and other similar taxes) and that are received from the customer by Valve.

1. Setting Prices. The Publisher will have the ultimate discretion to determine the suggested retail price for your Contribution. In the case of Contributions distributed directly via the Steam Workshop, Valve and/or the Publisher may choose to offer you price categories from which you can choose a suggested retail price for your Contribution. In the case of in-Application distribution, the Valve and/or the Publisher may choose to distribute your Contribution for free, or to cease charging a fee for (or reduce the price for) a Contribution previously distributed for a fee. You will not be entitled to any compensation for Contributions distributed for free.
1 Like

That is SPECIFICALLY for Skyrim mods.

Yes, you are correct, the human nature. We tend to point fingers too quicky. Valve is not the only one to blame here and your post shows that. The percentage is defined by the Publishers but the 30% assigned to Valve is untouchable.

The problem is the actual system implementation. There are a lot of black holes in this system and they need to be resolved by taking in consideration all the parts involved in this, including constumers.

Well this is not a creative freedom problem, this is a problem of economics. Everyone wants to get paid so the best way to do it to give a roughly even cut and if also account for taxes on Valve's end their cut will end up roughly the same as the modders

I never blamed steam.

My point is only if you monetize mods the the modder should get the revenue not the people already paid off. Sure a small fee for the hosting and traffic is due.

Skyrim was a lemon until you added the mods and they are epic. Mods made Obilivion epic too.

If money is to be made for mods freely created. It should go to them awesome people that made them !

I already paided off the game makers and there distribution partners by buying the game.

The problem that because you are working with copyrighted material you have to pay royalties if you directly charge for that mod (donations get around that because you are not directly charging for the mod). If the modder got all the revenue they would violating copyright law, its that simple

1 Like

Just like when I buy a new car from Roy's Toyota. And then mod it. Toyota and Roy want there cut as well ?

My point in all this, Valve takes a 30% cut for using their platform. That's not milking anything, that's business.

Google takes 55%+ of every monetized video on YouTube, and they are trying to minimize the amount of $$ a contributor can make on the side. <--- THAT is a problem with the distribution platform.

The blip about Bethesda capitalizing on the skyrim modding market is the most accurate thing in the bunch. But it still makes Valve out to be the bad guy.

My point in my stance in all this, If we want to make a lot of noise, make noise at the culprit, not the messenger.

We need to make noise directly at Bethesda, for making a foundation for a really great game, that a bunch of other people have made worth a damn, and they don't deserve the cut they are taking.

1 Like

If you buy the mod from Roy's Toyota.