Steam tried to monetize mods (Its over now at least for Skyrim...)

That won't happen seeing all the shit they greenlight that they really shouldn't.

LOL that's hilarious

I laughed too much at this.

Nexus Mods for the win.

LOL now Steam is removing mods that accept donations outside Steam. But hey! they said they want to support mod creators right!!!?

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/33o73c/valve_is_removing_mods_that_accept_donations/

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430905000&searchtext=

2 Likes

Well, the easiest solution is just to uninstall Skyrim and leave it for now. To reinstall, acquire and setup more than 50 mods now will be to time consuming and costly...
Bye, bye Skyrim, we had some great times during the several hundred hours.

Now, I support good modders being able to make money on their work, but this won't be good for the skyrim playerbase and those modders. Maybe on other newer games in the future...

I am struggling to register all this fail from valve this early iv the morning...

Oh hell no. I have already sent an email to them about the expressing my disappointment with this change and that from this point forward I will not be supporting Valve any longer.

They now rank.with EA and Ubisoft in my books.

Sorry this was meant to be @anon5205053

It's altogether good. People apparently needed more incentives to consider alternatives to Steam.

Edit: Although it could also mean very bad things for any future game in The Elder Scrolls series, I have the feeling that the developer hasn't been putting much work into getting another true TES game out any time soon.

75% is just ludicrous! 75 fucking % are you freaking kidding me?!? I'm fine with modders selling their mods, if that's what they want to do, but this is just an all out butt fuck by valve, at the EA level. Also a shame that Nexus will (probably) get mods pulled down by this. Perhaps a Nexus service where modders can charge for their mods, in a manner alike bandcamp, would be a good response to this insanity.

Edit: Just learned that steam already takes a 75% cut on all games published there as well, which is just absolutely appalling to me. I should stop buying games through steam I guess.

I kinda agree with the idea of the mod monetization. Especially on the Arma 3 side of things. Look at the mods like ACE3 and the like. They have had donations going for years but most (90%) of gamers wont donate a penny to them. If they could be like, "Hey, can you give us .25 and you get access to our mod?" They could keep doing what they love and not go broke. Hell, Bohemia Interactive approves of it. Look at what they did with the Make ArmA not War contest.....BI gave away over 500,000 euros in prize money to modders.

Gopher has posted another video on this very matter:

No please not he posted this right when the pay for mods went live before the big storm happened.

How I feel personally about the whole thing:
Very confused. I actually want to get into modding but I never wanted to make money at it. I wanted to do it because it was fun. The thing about modding is that a part of it is opened sourced. There are a lot of mods that depend on each other. The good modders who use other modders resources do give credit and even tell you when you need those other mods they are using in their mod. I need time to examine this. I know a few modders personally and I will be speaking with them on this matter to get their take on it. This will allow for me to get a complete picture on the matter.

I agree, I meant modding in general, not specific to monetizing it.

Also, unless someone knows the $$ deals that are going on behind the scenes, it's possible that the modding "purchases" don't give a cut to the original game dev.

Can I get an actual source of Valve taking 75%?

Also, lets assume for a moment it is 75%, that covers hosting, distribution, storage, data transmitted.
All things you would have to pay yourself if you were hosting the mod on your own site. without the wide spread usage and distribution model of steam.

1 Like

I hope the SKSE developers forbid the use of their work in paid mods. Most importantly, that would be hilarious, and secondarily, why should someone else monetarily benefit from their work?

2 Likes

You could just host them on Nexusmods, moddb, or any of the numerous other sites for free.

Really the only argument for the ridiculous percentage is that Valve has an effective monopoly and can do whatever they want.

1 Like

@DeusQain I'm working on trying to get more info about the 75%. On: http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/33p1uo/steam_paid_mods_megathread_2/

They are stating:

Steam is now offering modders the ability to sell mods on the Steam Workshop specifically regarding the game Skyrim, with 75% of the profit going to Valve and the game publishers/developers, and the remaining 25% going to the mod creator(s). The way the payment is distributed is decided by the publisher/developer of the game.
For this scenario that means:
Valve: 30% (as they always do in general)
Bethesda: 45%
Modder: 25%
The latter two have been decided by Bethesda.

I think this break down is probably right but I haven't found any concrete proof yet. I'll keep digging.

With percentages like those this isn't about "supporting modders", it's about Bethesda and Valve seeing something that wasn't milked already and moving in to take their cut. Infuriating.

Also, subtract any possible taxes from the remaining 25%.

And... the payout threshold is 100 dollars. So if you make less than 400, Valve/Bethesda get 100%.

I think modders would host things on nexus and just have a Paypal people can donate to if they want to go the free route.

It will all depend on how much traffic being on the workshop generates for modders.

1 Like