Star Wars: Rogue One: Who's Going?!

If i can arrange transportation, and cash muneez, i will try as well, if not, i will be aiming for Dolby Cinema. Inky blacks, HDR..... Kylo Ren will look BEAST!

Also, i have gone dark on Star Wars stuff till Thursday night, but i just wanted to share a few tweets of people who were at the premier (NO SPOILERS).

Also, just to add more excitement... Wil Wheaton also gave some context as to how much he loved it. He waited weeks to see TFA, and when he did, he loved it. Gave it a 4/5 lightsabers lol. However.... He gave Rogue One a 5/5, and a 99%. He said he will continue to see it in theaters as many times as he can. That bodes SUPER well for the film!

Maybe Jyn Erso gets preggers in a new hope, then cryo'd and released after vaders death. What if Snoke cryo's himself to leap through time, and just came out.

Did anyone get cryo's in the prequels?

Does anyone else think looper wasn't THAT great?

Not at all. The books and comics have thoroughly covered that.

I used to not understand why Lando betrayed his friend, but now that I think of it as an adult, he was the baron administrator of an entire city. He ran the place. His first responsibility was to his citizens, and when the Empire came to town, maybe he didn't know much about their reputation or being the conman he was, just hoping he could pull a fast one on the Empire, things would work out in his favor, and they'd actually leave Cloud City alone.

But we all know things didn't play out that way. Still, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. No one could possibly know how they'd react when presented with that situation. We all say what we would do, but no one truly knows what they'd do in that instant.

Ah, so that's how you want to play it, huh? No True Scotsman.

Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them.

Not going to run out and pay to see it likely. I really disliked TFA, which I was prepared for, being a big EU nerd. Still wish we could've kept the EU and made standalone movies out of the plethora of awesome books that exist, but no, disney needed to make 'original' content. Too bad so far that original content has been completely derivative of tge classic trilogy and EU content.

@Weston lol I'm really glad that you like the new content, but you are missing a lot of commentary if you think that so far things have only been universally acclaimed. To say that folks are complaining just to complain is dismissing the other side of the discussion. Also, you might be drastically underestimating folks' enthusiasm for star wars as an ip just because we didn't like TFA.

I just hear the same things over and over...

1. Re-hash of a New Hope

2. Rey is a Mary Sue.

Ok... I can give you guys points for one. Giant Super Weapon, Loner kid on desert planet. But there was more than that.

as for Rey being a Mary Sue.... that's just wacky talk lol

I won't go in to every detail, but i will give you a few major points as to the whole "How did Kylo not kick Rey's ass?!"

1. He was physically and mentally wounded. You know... from killing his dad and giving in to the dark side... and being hit by Chewie's bowcaster, which had been obliterating people the whole movie.

2. Kylo Ren was trying to capture her.... not kill her. Snoke's orders.... doubt he would want to disobey...

3. Title of the movie?...... She is special... lol just like Luke was.

I would have been upset if they had kept the EU..... it was so saturated that i just don't see how a new movie series could have existed along side it.... would have had to have been farther than decades past RotJ (which is what they were having to do with Legacy). And also, it would have been hard to anchor it and convey that it is star wars to people who didn't know about the EU....

Honestly though, Other than Max Landis (who is annoying as shit) the only people i have heard negative things from about TFA is here lol. Hell, even my friend who hated ANH enjoyed it :P and he really doesn't like Lucas or Disney lol

Oh well, i am having fun at least :)

Pre-booked my tickets, I'm looking forward to Thursday.

Nice. Curious if anyone will be going to a Dolby Cinema or IMAX Laser screening.. if so.... color me jealous.

Look vader is behind her, and she is reaching around in a backwards huge manner. She grabbin Ass

The death star is meshed into her face. That is not accidental symbolize.

Look at the Force awakens sybolism....

Rey's staff is uncoloured and in aligment with Kylo Light Saber

/s

But yea, I'm excited, TFA was not exactly spectacular however I think this one might change the game. Seems like it will be a gritty Star Wars film which excites me.

Oh yeah, I love Luuke and Palpatine's clones, and Chewie dying to a moon. Great story telling there.

1 Like

If I go it will only because I want to spend time with my niece and other family. The last movie stunk so I don't expect much from this.

Don't forget Jaxxon or the Yuuzhan Vong, they added a bunch to the lore. Same goes for the never ending love of Boba Fett. /s

A lot of the EU is crap.

TFA was okish, better than the prequels for sure.

I may go see this one as long as I don't have to wait in an excessive line.

Looks like the good stuff like Thrawn is being kept so yay I guess.

To quote Wil Wheaton, it's the best star wars since ANH. I have hope that it'll be good.

lmao. Fair point. Perhaps I should expand my statement a bit there. I've gone into greater detail about my thoughts on the EU before (perhaps even in this thread). First off, I totally agree that things got pretty out of hand once the young jedi knights and new jedi order content started. I was mainly referring to the many standalone books from both before the classic trilogy and afterward that would have made great film adaptions (Darth Bane trilogy, Darth Plagueis, Darth Maul Shadow Hunter, Outbound Flight, Kenobi, Scoundrels, Allegiance, Shadows of the Empire, The Thrawn trilogy, The Jedi Academy trilogy, I Jedi, the Hand of Thrawn Duology, etc).

To be honest, there was no way that TFA would be capable of living up to the expectations of all fans. There's just too many different types of SW fans - someone was bound to feel alienated and let down. In my case, once I really got into the EU, it quickly became #1 for me. The classic trilogy and prequels became a footnote in the SW universe as a whole. For folks like me, TFA needed to be amazing since Disney swept away a lot of the lore that we really loved to make way for it. Further, folks like myself are also probably going to be the hardest to please since almost anything touted as 'original' would undergo immediate scrutiny and comparison to all EU and non-EU lore.

Yeah. I'm really hoping that this is the case. I think that's why I liked some of the books so much. Now that some of the SW fans are getting older (or have already gotten older :D), I think a lot of us are looking for something more adult. Some of the EU books would've been perfect for this (I'm thinking bad guy = main character type stuff). I'd pay a lot for a good rated-R adaptation of the Darth Bane trilogy, but that would drastically limit the audience for the movies, which means less revenue.

I definitely understand: I'm currently pretty sad that KOTOR isn't canon any more. However, I think it's important that we wait and see what the story group will do. The EU had thirty years to become as huge and complex as it was in 2010, and I know Zahn has been hired to write a new Thrawn book that fits into the new canon.

I am pretty confident that the good parts of the EU will reappear in the next few years. They just needed a full wipe in order to give themselves time and creative space for the subsequent films. They seem to be pretty anal about making the story internally consistent, and the EU was way too wild for that.

1 Like

Well, there's empirical evidence (just a slice) that it is way too derivative, to the point that it makes people want to Force choke someone. Every entry into the Star Wars universe is derivative to some point, but it's the amount of things that are and the blatancy in how it was done in Force Awakens that really grinds mine and a lot of other people's gears.

Even taking a bowcaster wound to the oblique and killing his father shouldn't have been enough to stop someone well trained in the Jedi arts versus the uninitiated. Kylo Ren is obviously more focused in the fight, despite his wounds. He also uses it to channel his anger and hatred, aggravating it periodically. Finn and Rey can barely fend off his powerful attacks. Even with some training, Luke could not best Vader. Vader toyed with him, until he got annoyed, and then he really let go once Luke got a good hit in. Kylo approaches the duel with a similar attitude.

While Kylo owned Finn, he did score a hit (just as Luke did with Vader in Empire) but doesn't attempt to capitalize on it. He stands there like a prizefighter that's just knocked down his opponent. Kylo then stops fucking around and defeats him handedly. Rey then takes him on, but she's in the same situation if not worse than Finn was, because Kylo is through playing around. Rey is no match until she taps into the Force. Then he's beaten by a junk scrapper.

Jedi through use of the Force can see things before they happen, as Qui-gon Jinn said. I'm not sure how much this applies to precognition of the actions of other Force users though, so while Rey may have the Force, she cannot control it. At best, she'd be able to fend of Kylo's attacks. Kylo is probably overconfident during the fight, and his wide, powerful swings do leave openings for counters, but it's not clear that was what caused his defeat. (No, I'm not talking about, "you underestimate my power!" That was just horribly written.) The unpredictability of an untrained opponent can throw off the experienced, but it's usually not enough to be defeated. In swordplay, a much older opponent can best a younger one, even though they have youth and strength, because swordplay isn't about those things.

This isn't like hitting a thermal exhaust port that's only two meters wide. This is a duel versus someone well trained. Even with the Force as one's ally, she has no training Some latent Force ability just doesn't seem believable enough to best a trained duelist. This and the Jedi mind trick she pulls on the stormtrooper after she's captured by Kylo earlier are just asspulls.

The Force pull of Luke's saber is way more likely, I can imagine a kid discovering they can do this, and it would've made more sense if Rey scored a grazing hit on Kylo, and then Force pushed him into a tree or Force pulled a branch down on him, knocking him out long enough either way to escape, than actually beating him at swordplay.

This entire post ignores the first 90 minutes of the movie, where they went into excruciating detail to show that Rey already has training and is already powerful, despite not being a trained Jedi; and Kylo is not in control of his emotions.

When she is being chased on Jakku, she beats up a bunch of guys alone, with a stick (which she carries everywhere for some reason, it's as if that is her weapon of choice).

Kylo is shown to be pretty shit with a lightsaber, especially when angered. When he hears that "the girl" is on the planet, he whips out his saber and flails like a three year old. Not exactly what I'd call graceful. This makes sense in the story because Luke wasn't exactly good at sword fighting either. Kylo probably spent his childhood becoming in tune with the force (stopping a blaster mid air) and ignoring his physical skills.

And then, finally, the coup de grace, Chewie is shown on several occasions shooting people with the bowcaster and literally knocking them twenty feet into the air. Kylo takes a hit to his stomach from that thing, something that should have made him die immediately. He's bleeding out as he's fighting, plus he already got hit in the head with a lightsaber thanks to Finn.

They could not have stacked the odds more in Rey's favor if they tried. They did everything possible to make her victory come with a minimal amount of logical leaping as to her force powers.

1 Like

My post is only responding to what Weston wrote. That is why I ignored the rest of the movie. And no, they don't do a good job of explaining her combat. Her proficiency with a staff doesn't necessarily translate to wielding a lightsaber effectively. Being an orphan and having to salvage and sell junk for a living, Rey has definitely had some encounters with some scum and villainy in her life but that doesn't make her capable of taking on even a fledgling Sith. And yeah, his tantrums are fucking stupid. I'm glad we can agree on that. And Finn didn't hit Kylo in the head. He was grazed on the shoulder. If he was hit in the head, he would've been decapitated.

I agree, there are good things and some bad things about the EU. The good things should've been kept, and they really could've saved it with Rey's remark of, "there have been stories." And don't forget the games and comics. They had some great stories too. However, anything that would've been adapted to the screen would seriously have to be abridged to work.

I thought for sure he got nicked on the cheek, but maybe I saw it wrong.

Nope, it's definitely the shoulder.