Star Wars: Rogue One: Who's Going?!

Oh, of course. It's Rey that hits his face. My bad.

I can't even tell at .25 speed. Need to be able to see frame by frame and a higher video quality than this.

Why is there so much negativity when it comes to Disney and star wars? Regardless of what you feel about their (shitty) channel, they do really well in almost every movie they publish. I can say with certainty that the franchise is in good hands.

1 Like

Explanation: It's cause, in meatbag euphemism, they "threw the baby out with the bathwater." They were quite indiscriminate with wiping the EU from the face of the galaxy.

But so much of the EU wasn't any good. I understand why people liked it because fanfic.net wasn't around then. But when I went back to read a couple of my old books, (excluding Zhan's work) it read like mediocre fanfics.

Looks like I'm going to see it on Sunday in IMAX. I thought I would have to go to Toronto to see it, but it looks like there are a couple IMAX theatres in Kitchener-Waterloo

Clarification: I don't think you understood the expression. "They threw the good out with the bad."

And Zhan is writing again for SW. KOTOR is the only thing that bugs me at all, but Kylo's helmet is too similar to Revan's to be a coincidence.

Addition: Not only did they throw the good stuff out too, but they did it with only one thing in mind: maximizing profits. Nearly nothing was preserved for artistic integrity (exception: The Clone Wars). That went out the window with the sale of the IP.

So almost every Star Wars film...

1 Like

Irritable: ...I knew someone was going to say that.

¯\__(ツ) __/¯ thats the film industry for ya.

But wasn't the point of the EU was to make money in between films?

Like complaints about the acting being a little wooden I would agree with. But then again the dialog in SW isn't that great to begin with.

Nice job staying in character.

2 Likes

Well, since we are going back to TFA discussion and things . . . :D

I really don't care too much about debating the nitty gritty details of the film (i.e. the whole Kylo vs. Rey stuff, other inconsistencies, etc etc). I have a problem with the concept of the movie as a whole. Disney gets rid of most of the EU to make an original story, but they choose to continue onward in time from RotJ and are therefore bound to the aging original cast members. Because of this, they needed to make up random backstory for why the original cast has aged so much and I think it was completely obvious to literally everyone that at least one of them would be killed in the movie simply because of their age. Bringing in the original cast means that you are severely restricting yourself, which makes creating anything original much more difficult.

For me, with the EU being #1, I really don't care too much about the classic main characters to be honest. The EU already provided us with tons of backstory for them (most of which was much more interesting than the films). I mainly care about new (original) stories that aren't tied down by previous content. I would've been more happy if they would have just left things hanging, ending at RotJ (at least for now) and would have focused on making content set in earlier eras of the SW timeline. However, with this all said, I am glad that they will be making standalone movies like Rogue One. Hopefully, these movies will be more enjoyable for me.

I don't get why everyone was so upset over them saying that some fan made stories aren't canon. It's like getting upset that "My Immortal" isn't cannon in the Harry Potter universe.
As far as I know, Lucas Films never confirmed or denied weather the expanded universe was cannon prior to episode VII's release.

1 Like

They did.

G, T, C, S, N, and D canons. A tiered system that was stupid and overly complex, containing many alternate realities.

I feel like they could have saved the backlash if they just made the latest film just another one of those alternate realities

I mean, that's kind of what they did. The EU continues to be the EU. It's just kind of all placed in the S or N category now from the point of view of LucasFilm, and everything that comes out of the story group is all 100% G canon.

I like the analogy that they say in that article, that the EU is something like Greco-Roman mythology, with many isolated stories that slightly disagree with each other, written by a bunch of authors. Then canon is the real story of the real actual olympus, as told by some outside observer that can see everything.

2 Likes

I do too, but the conversation headed in that direction, and I obliged. However, my problem with the concept of the movie as a whole is that by being essentially a rehash of ANH, it panders to the original audience too much. The audience that actually stood in line in '77 to see the original, that booed at the screen when Darth Vader made his first appearance, that cheered when the Death Star exploded. They went straight for them, because they knew they've been itching for a sequel trilogy since RotJ was released...and they knew that generation has their own kids now, and they'd want to share that moment they experienced back in '77 with their children. It's brilliant marketing, but from a writer's/artist's perspective, it's a dull, too derivative, boring, unoriginal, pandering, but well executed fanscriptfilm that got commercial backing (hence, "well executed").

They certainly could've, but Disney wants complete control. Lucas was smart enough to realize he couldn't control a universe he created once it got bigger than the Original Trilogy and only "insert" his influence on stories, but Disney is going to tighten their grip on it. As the badass princess said...

The way they've handled the secondary sources has already proved this.