SR-IOV GPU for Compute/Transcode Purposes

#HD5970 dual GPU
This works only as one GPU rather than two. I can’t use the other PCIe device shown. It’s also a bit crashy compared to the little HD6670 that I was using earlier. That thing was solid.

As a thought, since you’re trying to ‘compute’ I assume you simply need to send it OpenCL stuff. Rather than looking to somehow share the physical hardware investigate if there is some sort of OpenCL service you could run in a VM that has exclusive access to the GPU. If you think about what Cryptomining is, then it’s the sharing of thousands of OpenCL devices.

Performance depends on the task. When Cryptomining the cards are connected with 1x PCIe extenders but they still run flat out. If you were cracking passwords then the only PCIe communication would be a tiny string for the encrypted password and eventually a tiny string for the cracked password. You could link the card with dialup and it would not affect performance.

Need to define the task.

What we use for mining

It says right in the title that he wants it for compute, specifically (in the OP) for folding at home, which is dependent on bandwidth. Transcoding might be okish on 1x, assuming that it is PCIE 3.0, which I am not sure if the risers can do, and that is only for transcoding, not also doing F@H at the same time.

I was just assuming that everyone else actually read the rest of the posts and had the same suppositions about what the intended use case is.

1 Like

If you figure out PCI-e cables, Tesla k40’s are a hundred bucks

They’re basically 12GB Titans downclocked

1 Like

I don’t know how much GPU power each VM would need but most GPUs are better than the CPU for video, graphical and OpenCL tasks. A little card like this half heigh 1GB Radeon might help;

Personally I’m having great success with this one;

You also don’t need a full x16 slot. Some slots are open ended allowing a much bigger card to fit.
A trick I did to fit a GPU in a x1 slot was to hacksaw a slot in the card so it would fit. Like how this has been done;

Yeah it was a cheap card not a RX VEGA but it works because of how PCIe works.

You’d need one of those strange mobos with a butt-load of x1 sockets, in order to efficiently not-waste your x16 slots, though :sweat_smile:

i wonder what the IOMMUs would be on such a board

The person I was responding to said it might affect performance. Well it might, but not for computer most probably.

With money to burn at least get some real GPU power in your rack;

I’ve had similar boards and they are a nightmare. The GPUs won’t stay at the same addresses. You can’t always detect them all. After a Windows update the whole thing is screwed and you have to make it all work again. The bios options are not even enough to make it do it’s intended function. I doubt it has any usable IOMMU support.

I don’t want a mining rig, I want to be able to assign a GPU to specific VM’s I have already configured for improved hardware acceleration.

Well obviously it’s called a mining rig but it’s actually a Proxmox server with support for 6 VMs with GPU passthrough.

Two VMs running on the same HD5970 GPU on Proxmox

P1060969
P1060968 P1060967

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s an x1 PCIe extender which is definitely dragging the performance in Valley. I need a bigger case if I want to fit this card. Which I do :wink:

Why are you diverting our attention off of that awfully blatant 90° rotation? Do you have something to hide? :rofl: …it’s 90° off, DUDE! :smirk:

It’s just balanced on top of the 6 hard drives. Not even straight. It’s a huge card which can’t fit in this case. I have a little HD6670 fitted normally. I could fit two and run 4 VMs, if I had a big enough case.

1 Like

This doesn’t help you right now, but I suspect Intel’s Xe cards may have fairly good GVT support.

Reading through this thread, I’d be wary about burning time or money on any MxGPU card. You’re only real option is the very outdated S7150 card that’s only supposedly supported by GIM, which last updated 1.5 years ago. They have gone out of their way to try to keep MxGPU out of your hands, and unless you are a billion dollar company AMD isn’t even going to bother to tell you to fuck off.

1 Like