SR-IOV GPU for Compute/Transcode Purposes

I have a HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 w/ EYPC 7402P & 64GB
that I just stuck a Radion Pro W5500 in it…SR-IOV & MxGPU capable card

Xen has got SR-IOV working w/ W5500 (I’d rather not run xen though)

I’d love to help with testing if I can to get it running on proxmox or ovirt

How about 2 HD5970 supporting 4 VMs in Proxmox.

This is the plan, there is a racing game called Project Torque and we want to produce video tracking 4 racers each with their own camera. The game spec is Core 2 duo a modest GPU and 2GB RAM. A Core 2 Quad with 8GB should handle 4 VMs I think.

After a bit of tinkering it was OK running two VMs off of one HD5970. A stretch to run 4 but who knows.

I also tried a VEGA 56 which I expected to work really well but it was unstable.

I’ll update this after I’ve got 4 Windows 7 VMs running with GPUs.

I’ve got that working with some source patches. For those who are interested I might be able to lend a hand.

I then fitted this huge card in a larger server case. Yes it does do gaming but badly over Remmina. Then I upgraded from an ASUS AB350 motherboard to an MSI X470 and now it won’t POST with the HD5970. So this experiment came to an end. To be honest Remmina works better without the GPU, just not for gaming.

Here’s a neat trick, I cut down an x16 GPU to an x1 slot using a hand nibbler. This way I can use the big slots for 10gb network cards.

That’s my impression too. This type of thing is difficult to do because GPUs are more complex than network cards. The results are exciting for nerds but ultimately are not good enough for customers. Even when millions are thrown at the problem creating a viable business from the result is tricky, just look at Google Stadia. I suspect they don’t want to get drawn into fruitless tinkering to to satisfy nerds who want it for free.

If anyone was curious, I wound up getting a quadro p600 and pass thru to my jellyfin vm for hardware nvenc transcoding.

Works great!

1 Like