Speaker audio not working until Alsamixer headphone volume manually raised

For the analog-output-speaker.conf I’m confused… you actually have

[Element Headphone]
switch = off
volume = off

I thought you were doing volume = merge as per this earlier post?

Besides that, there’s a couple more elements you have that I don’t at all:

; Make sure the internal speakers are not auto-muted once the system has speakers
[Element Auto-Mute Mode]
enumeration = select

[Option Auto-Mute Mode:Disabled]
name = analog-output-speaker

...

[Element Headphone,1]
switch = off
volume = off

...

[Element Center/LFE]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all-center
override-map.2 = all-center,lfe

But none of them necessarily sound related :confused:

Checking the others in a sec.

Thing is with these files… I don’t even know why different ones exist and which is used when :confused:

edit:
On the lineout, you do still have the state.[un]plugged options in there :stuck_out_tongue: And also the volume = merge

[Jack Line Out]
required-any = any
state.plugged = yes
state.unplugged = no

...

[Jack Rear Line Out]
required-any = any
state.plugged = yes
state.unplugged = no

...

[Element Headphone]
switch = off
volume = merge

So it seems you made those changes on the lineout file, not the speaker as you said :stuck_out_tongue:
Not a big deal tho, gonna try that.

edit edit:

TADA :tada:
So yeah it turns out the volume option alone is enough and the jack options seem to be irrelevant:

[tarulia@localhost]~% cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-lineout.conf | grep "\[Jack Line Out\]" -A2
[Jack Line Out]
required-any = any

[tarulia@localhost]~% cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-lineout.conf | grep "\[Jack Rear Line Out\]" -A2
[Jack Rear Line Out]
required-any = any

[tarulia@localhost]~% cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-lineout.conf | grep "\[Element Headphone\]" -A3                                                      
[Element Headphone]
switch = off
#volume = off
volume = merge

I also reverted the changes in the speaker.conf before so I could be sure the lineout alone is enough:

[tarulia@localhost]~% cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf | grep "\[Element Headphone\]" -A3
[Element Headphone]
switch = off
volume = off

Thank you again so much for the testing though @ImAllOutOfGum and also thanks for the suggestions @Velgen , this issue has been driving me insane for a year because I thought I was the only one.

2 Likes