Fedora 33 to 34/35 upgrade - worth a reinstall? What to look out for?

Well luckily I document when I make changes to any of the system config files, and there’s only been 3 I had to do, 2 for pulse/alsa, one for sssd because I couldn’t add users to groups, see here. So I think I should be fine on that front?


Well anyway yesterday before heading to bed I thought… why not just do a hybrid approach - upgrade first, if something goes wrong or is messed up after the upgrade I can still reinstall right…

Well, I’m hung up on the first step:

[tarulia@localhost]~% sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=34 | tee -a upgrade_34.log
Before you continue ensure that your system is fully upgraded by running "dnf --refresh upgrade". Do you want to continue [y/N]: y
Copr repo for Signal-Desktop owned by luminoso  9.4 kB/s | 3.3 kB     00:00    
Copr repo for scrcpy owned by zeno              8.5 kB/s | 3.3 kB     00:00    
Fedora 34 - x86_64                              136 kB/s |  24 kB     00:00    
Fedora 34 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64        9.2 kB/s | 990  B     00:00    
Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64                      172 kB/s |  24 kB     00:00    
Fedora 34 - x86_64 - Updates                    128 kB/s |  17 kB     00:00    
Fedora 34 - x86_64 - Updates                    1.1 MB/s | 517 kB     00:00    
Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64 - Updates            153 kB/s |  22 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 34 - Free                  47 kB/s | 3.8 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 34 - Free - Updates        50 kB/s | 3.6 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 34 - Nonfree               56 kB/s | 4.2 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 34 - Nonfree - Updates     48 kB/s | 4.0 kB     00:00    
vivaldi-snapshot                                 23 kB/s | 2.9 kB     00:00    
WineHQ packages                                  27 kB/s | 3.3 kB     00:00    
No match for group package "kexec-tools-anaconda-addon"
No match for group package "dvdrip"
No match for group package "xcdroast"
No match for group package "totem-lirc"
No match for group package "pnmixer"
No match for group package "gstreamer-plugins-bad-free"
No match for group package "gnomebaker"
No match for group package "nyquist"
No match for group package "gstreamer-plugins-bad-nonfree"
No match for group package "gstreamer-ffmpeg"
No match for group package "vdr-tvonscreen"
No match for group package "decibel-audio-player"
No match for group package "dnf-yum"
No match for group package "gstreamer-plugins-ugly"
No match for group package "lame-mp3x"
No match for group package "plasma-user-manager"
No match for group package "gnomad2"
No match for group package "sphinxtrain"
No match for group package "csound-csoundac"
No match for group package "vdr-skinsoppalusikka"
No match for group package "whaawmp"
No match for group package "paratype-pt-sans-fonts"
No match for group package "libguestfs-tools"
No match for group package "pyvnc2swf"
No match for group package "totem-nautilus"
No match for group package "adplay"
No match for group package "sonic-visualiser-freeworld"
No match for group package "banshee"
No match for group package "xmms-adplug"
No match for group package "tclabc"
No match for group package "transcode"
No match for group package "fedora-release-notes"
No match for group package "cmusphinx3"
No match for group package "phonon-backend-gstreamer"
No match for group package "gstreamer-plugins-good"
No match for group package "chromium-libs-media-freeworld"
No match for group package "k9copy"
No match for group package "vdr-ttxtsubs"
No match for group package "kplayer"
No match for group package "tomahawk"
Error: 
 Problem: rdma-core-35.0-1.fc33.i686 has inferior architecture
  - rdma-core-35.0-1.fc33.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  - problem with installed package rdma-core-35.0-1.fc33.i686
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

Not sure why it’s not finding the groups, but that’s not something that I’m concerned about.
I’m not sure what it’s telling me with rdma-core considering that rdma is part of the kernel (I believe?), this worries me a bit :thinking:
Thing is, currently installed are both architectures:

[tarulia@localhost]~% dnf info rdma-core
Fedora 33 - x86_64 - Updates                                                            137 kB/s |  17 kB     00:00    
Fedora 33 - x86_64 - Updates                                                            3.3 MB/s | 3.1 MB     00:00    
Fedora Modular 33 - x86_64 - Updates                                                    145 kB/s |  21 kB     00:00    
vivaldi-snapshot                                                                         43 kB/s |  11 kB     00:00    
Installed Packages
Name         : rdma-core
Version      : 35.0
Release      : 1.fc33
Architecture : i686
Size         : 115 k
Source       : rdma-core-35.0-1.fc33.src.rpm
Repository   : @System
From repo    : updates
Summary      : RDMA core userspace libraries and daemons
URL          : https://github.com/linux-rdma/rdma-core
License      : GPLv2 or BSD
Description  : RDMA core userspace infrastructure and documentation, including initialization
             : scripts, kernel driver-specific modprobe override configs, IPoIB network
             : scripts, dracut rules, and the rdma-ndd utility.

Name         : rdma-core
Version      : 35.0
Release      : 1.fc33
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 120 k
Source       : rdma-core-35.0-1.fc33.src.rpm
Repository   : @System
From repo    : updates
Summary      : RDMA core userspace libraries and daemons
URL          : https://github.com/linux-rdma/rdma-core
License      : GPLv2 or BSD
Description  : RDMA core userspace infrastructure and documentation, including initialization
             : scripts, kernel driver-specific modprobe override configs, IPoIB network
             : scripts, dracut rules, and the rdma-ndd utility.

So it’s not like it’s a downgrade?

Or is it telling me there’s no package for the x64 version in F34? Could hardly believe that… and how would I even check that (with system tools that is)?