[solved] Windows7 strange download speed issues

Done that.

HOLY FACK.. notifications went crazy.. individual for each moved post.. lol WTF?

You're not running Virtualbox on that Win7 install, are you? Ever since I installed Virtualbox on mine, the host's network connection is capped at 100Mbit as opposed to the Gigabit that the guests have. That translates to roughly 11MB/s, which is quite close to what you're getting.
Real funny when you need to transfer several terabytes to your NAS, but I digress.

1 Like

i do run Virtualbox on my Windows 7 pc.
On the laptop i dont.

1 Like

@anon37371794 let me summarize.. she has a recent connection issue.. its not caused by any programs.. we have narrowed it down to either her ISP cable modem or her OS has something messed up with the stack...

@MisteryAngel do you have a diagnostics page like i had in the lounge shown

Yeah i think so need to check.
i might also do a hard reset on modem.
But i highly doubt that it would have anything to do with that.

I wouldnt just yet

i did hard reset no diffrence what so ever.
I can only nail this down to Windows 7.

17MB/s is what i´m stuck at in Windows 7 since Thursday.
Windows 8.1 and Linux do 24MB/s +.

I´m out of idea´s, next test will be clean install Windows 7.
But that will be later the day.
Not sure what kind of shenanigans is going on.

Only things i did not tried yet, is un-installing my anti virus solutions.
But i did do a speedtest in safe mode, which would basicly mean that there was no viruscanner involved.

1 Like

well if the modem crashes on large firewalls it could be its pki firewall (Packet Inspection) which is on by default.. id disable and dmz a machine and see if anything happens to that specific machine

Okay so i did a fresh clean install of Windows7 (the same i use) but now its back to bare metal from 2012.
And i get full speeds again.
i also installed all application that i run on my pc again.
like Avira, malwarebytes, etc.

So to me it seriously looks like Microsoft Shanigans.

My modem just came in, so i´m going to try that.
But i dont think its the modem.

I think they are (MS) making it very hard to keep using win 7, they complicate everything they can to push to win 10 BLERK :-(
edit 1 = i am using WSUS , works quite well; sure cuts down on (fucking slow) downloading time.......
edit 2 = like you I tried everything, on at least 20 rigs, (I hate MS, what moron took over after Gates ????)

So another update.

i installed the new modem and did some tests.
I connected my laptop to it with 1m cat5e cable, and i got good speeds.
arround 22 / 23MB/s.
However, i tested the connection to my personal pc.
And that speed was totaly dramatic on windows 7.
i could not get higher then 3MB/s, so i trowed the old modem back in again.
Because 17MB/s from the same download source, is still better then only 3MB/s right?

I still dont know whats going on.
On Windows 8.1 the speeds seems to be significantly better.
But not fully stable atm.
they going up and down from 20MB/s to 22MB/s.
So its realy odd.

i think i´m going to need to test my onboard nic.
If anyone has any usefull tips to test that, then let me know.
Windows 7 and my nic have never been a great combination to start with.
I had issues with high dp latency so now and then.
Which i dont have in windows 8.1.

I would suggest just holding on for a while (i hope) and they will have to do something about it (MS). Establishing a good reference point is already very hard, and running in circles because the problem is not with you (your equipment), but with them........that is if we can call this a problem, It is for us...but is , I believe, a conscious move on their part. (MS).
all this of course IMO.
edit 1 = I will add that more than once that patience was rewarded; when they at last learned how to tie their shoe laces !

Balmer wasn't the problem, he was a bit of an idiot but certainly had no downright evil intentions. It's only when Nadella rose to power that things really went bad.

2 Likes

Thanks, had not really paid any attention to whom was the Boss; Gates is the last name I remember.
Still; what a mess they are provoking ! They bear the name " Capitalist Pigs" quite well; while they got us by the throat !

I have one issue with this... too many factors. can you do both tests with fresh and not on old modem and new modem.. and then post it here

and lol

I will help @MisteryAngel all I want to discourse :P lol

monday i will try the new modem once again
maybe there it was an activation issue with the modem idk.
i was realy dissapointed to see my speeds tank so badly only 3.0MB/s.
on the laptop it did somewhat okay.
i have not tried the laptop wired yet, will do that tomorrow.
im realy tired now.

i did 2 clean installs windows 7 from 2012, adn windows 8.1 in dualboot on a sepperate HDD.
En i get okay speeds again on that.
So the only thing i could think of atm, is that there must have been changed something to my OS on Thursday morning, which causing this.
But i cant find what it is.
Since my mom uses the laptop allot at night, it looks like it might have been added somewhere between Wednesday evening, and Thursday morning.

1 Like

Like I said before we look at ms.. This sounds a lot like a signal issue on the cable line. Having worked for a cable company before I know what I'm looking at for this shit.. Sometimes a particular part of the line just gets messed up and the modem shows as offline at the cmts causing connection speed to plummit

Sucks to lose speed eh?.. Happens to me when I hit a data cap of 1tb lol or when a power jolt sends one of fmts (fiber modem termination switch board) systems down

windows 10 , slowing windows 7 to make you upgrade