[solved] Windows7 strange download speed issues

If it's not already mentioned or done, try resetting the network stack on both pc's and see what happens.

Elevated cmd - netsh int ip reset
Should ask you to reboot right after that.

As mentioned before, the windows network stack sucks. Sometimes it needs a kick in the rear. I've also needed to do this on windows 10 and 2012 r2.

i will check it out later and report back.
Thanks for the suggestion.
wenn i realy cant find the issue, then i might just re-install windows 7 to bare metal.
I´m going to buy a 250GB SSD soon or maybe a 512GB ish, wenn i can get one for a good price.

We would like to think that but under sataya nadella he does not want that as his corporate image... It would not be wise and im pretty sure they havent because i have a windows 7 computer with ALL the updates and its having ZERO issues... so I mean we can argue that but I doubt it still

a little update to the whole situation.
My old modem stoped working, as expected, so i had to re-connect the new modem to get online.

De speeds with the modem are dramatic on my pc.
5MB/s, somethimes i get 15MB/s but it tanks like crazy
De laptop does get okay speeds, thats the realy strange part.

However, i installed windows 7 newly on a sepperate HDD, in dualboot with Windows 8.1 last Saturday, and had good speeds with it.
Today i booted that same Windows 7, and my speeds was 3MB/s max.
But i did discover something interesting.
Wenn i looked at the system restore points of that newly installed windows7.
i found out that Microsoft had installed 2 updates, without letting me know.
I had updates disabled, but still there was something installed by them.
Checking the update installation history, does not show any signs on newly installed updates.
So this realy smells fishy to me.

Just dropping these commands here for you Missy, inn case you loose them.

Troubleshooting:

• netsh interface tcp show global
  • netsh interface tcp show heuristics

Probable fix:

• netsh interface tcp set heuristics disabled
  • n̶e̶t̶s̶h̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶c̶p̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶g̶l̶o̶b̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶t̶u̶n̶i̶n̶g̶=̶d̶i̶s̶a̶b̶l̶e̶d̶
  • netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal

EDIT: Fixed commands

2 Likes

Thanks you are awesome.
You kicked me in the right direction and i think i have fixed it.

i tried to set the global autotuning to disabled but then my speed dropped from 15MB/s to 3MB/s
Then i changed the setting from disabled to normal.
And now i get this.

Could you maybe give some insight in what those diffrent profiles are exaly doing.
I´m currently looking in what they do, Because i would like to get to the bottom of this.

• disabled
  • restricted
  • highly restricted
  • normal.
  • experimental.

Now my next dillema will be returning my old cisco modem, or should i let re-activate my old cisco modem?
The Cisco modem does has more fuctionality like VPN pass trough etc.
The Technicolor looks a bit dated, and not east to setup wenn it comes to port forwarding etc.
Now that i know that the problem is not caused by my modem, but was an issue with the OS, i think it might be a better idea to get my old modem back, since it has more functionality.

I still dont know what has exaly caused the setting to be changed.
I didnt do it my self, so it might some update from MS or what not.

1 Like

I had this problem a lot and most of the time when this happened downloads would fail. At least linux doesn't do any of that crap and things like AROS can manage it all....

In any case I had this problem too and it came from the network stack either being absolute crap or drivers being weird. Every once in a while I would reinstall them and it would be fine but more often than not I would just reboot and that would take care of it for another month. Though as many people have pointed out before, windows tends to slow down and disintegrate over time even through system upgrades like the 10 update or 8 to 8.1 update. Just out of curiosity is this an old install? If it is you could reinstall on your machine and the problem would likely be fixed for an equal amount of time before it happened again.

Though if the problem is fixed permanently I really need to take note of this for some of my volunteer work x-x

i have exaly tested that with a new fresh install, on a sepperate HDD.
The problem was indeed solved, but that lasted arround 24 hours.
Then it started again, after some mysterious MS update "probably", that i cant find anywhere lol.
atleast i know where the problem lays, i hope that it will stay away for a while now.
in Linux i had no single issue with the speeds indeed.

Yeah I always found it doing some stupid crap in the network stack and no matter what I tried to do with M$ techs or with friends who were knee deep in this sort of thing I could never fix it. Honestly windows 7 was a gimmick for me because I could customize the start menu with charlie brown gif's with subtitles and when I was bored in class I would hit the super key and watch silent cartoons for 20 minutes :|

Now that I am thinking about it try the tech-forum site. I think I asked there when I had a round of this in high school and some people seemed to know what was up. Someone there might have an idea or two.

After a couple of re-starts it still works properly.

Now its waiting till my isp re-activates my old cisco modem again.
I decided to go back to Cisco, because the Technicolor was gimped on allot of feutures, that the Cisco does have.
The port forwarding was kinda rubbish, there was no vpn pass trough option, which the Cisco all has.
Also there was no realy decent support to eventualy run a nas properly.
These things are basicly not realy an issue from the technicolor it self.
But it had just everything to do with the gimped down firmware version from my isp.
Since both modem functioning properly, and the Cisco allready had a firmware update.
I think that staying with the Cisco would overall be a better choice in terms of function and feutures.

Huh... That was actually not the command I ment to give you... A bit more tired than I realized. But yeah, 'normal' on that makes sense. It should definitely NOT be disabled like the one I gave you.
'netsh interface set global' will tell you why.

This is the one I actually wanted you to try):
netsh interface tcp set heuristics disabled

Windows scaling heuristics may still override your current settings, without actually showing anywhere. That command should fix that too. (But keep it on hand in case you'll need to enable it again)

Yeah, I would probably keep the Cisco. Used them on my previous job. They do have some nice features, and are quite easy to set up. It may have some backdoors though(according to the Snowden leak), so you may want to take that in to your decision too.

Regarding the actual function of the TCP scaling:
They meant to improve speed on "long fat networks". That just means high bandwidth, high latency networks.(or super-high bandwidth and decent latency, or low bandwidth and super-high latency) We have it in Linux too, but not as crappy implemented. The different profiles define just how restrictive they are.

1 Like

Yeah i need to look more deeply into this stuff.
But atleast i´m glad that i fixed it so far.
I think if i remember correctly, the global auto tuning was set to restricted.
Which is where it shouldnt be most likely.
Wenn changing it back to normal, after i found some topic about it.
It fixed my speed issue.
A bit strange how the setting could have been changed,
but as far as i´m understanding, Windows 7 in particular seems to be a bit wonky with this.
I still think that the MS update that was unclearly installed, might have had something to do with this.
I´m running this OS since May 2015, and never had a single issue like this.
Still i´m going to look a bit more deeply into this stuff, since i´m currious and want to learn more about networking and this kind of stuff in general.
Anyway i´m hoping that the issue is fixed for a while, but i will keep an eye on it.

According to the Cisco backdoor, that was indeed an issue back in the day.
Allthough Cisco has rolled out a couple of firmware updates to close it down.

1 Like

A little update on this.

@FaunCB you were right.

Exactly a month after the problem was solved it suddently re-appeared again.
Funny thing about this, it was also on Thursday again...
Re-setting the global autotune profile back to normal, and the problem is solved again.
But i suppose this issue might comeback monthly.

Still weird....

@Payne do you have an idea how to prevent this from re-appearing?

1 Like

Did you disable the heuristics?

Nope, not yet.
i might try that lateron.

1 Like

This is the first time I've ever encountered this specific symptom. Probably because it seems you need a pretty high WAN bandwidth for it occur. And therefore never had any reason to touch those settings.

So I don't know the possible side effects of changing that setting. And as I don't experience the system in question first hand, I can't get the 'feel' for it like I usually do at home or at work. ( I do worryingly much of my troubleshooting by gut-feeling )

But I found something that may help you to get a grasp of what's going on. And possibly how to permanently fix it:
http://www.duckware.com/blog/how-windows-is-killing-internet-download-speeds/index.html

1 Like

Thanks for that.
i will definitely dig deeper into this.
Especialy if its a monthly issue.
I have a 200mbit connection by the way.

1 Like