Should I get a gtx 1080 or Vega 64

Hello i’m not sure which card to get, I was thinking the 1080 was better but after looking at benchmarks the vega 64 performs better in some thing and pretty damn close to the 1080 in others. I also hear when you undervolt the 64 it performs even better uses less heat and is quieter. I can get a vega 64 for about the same price as the 1080. and I hear freesync is cheaper. should I go with the 1080 or the vega 64? I also want to do 1440p not 1080p.

If you’re in windows or OSX get the 1080 if you’re in linux get the vega.

And the only reason I say this is because of drivers. Other than that, the 64 and 1080-non-ti are pretty even in a lot of ways, and out perform each other in a lot of others. Could also wait for the next gen. 1180 will be announced soon, and a Vega 128 could be next.

5 Likes

vega is still well over MSRP, and 1080 isn’t that much better to justify the cost - not to mention g-sync monitors are like 100-300$ more expensive.

When next gen gpu’s are announced they are likely to be shitty ref. versions, for around $1.1k or even more knowing nv. Vega 128 or anything as such won’t happen. New high-end consumer GPU from AMD won’t be released until late 2019, and early 2020.

At this moment I would dissuade anyone from buying any GPU’s are they are well overpriced for their worth.
If people won’t buy them, it will force them to sell them cheaper - for what they are actually worth. A good price for non-ref vega64 is around $500, and 1080 price should be around $450.

If they cannot sell those gpu’s for decent worth price, then maybe they shouldn’t be making them like that. (thats for amd, nv case is a case of greed pricing)

btw. windows drivers for amd are currently millennia ahead of nv - all those bugs, and spyware inside nv makes it a laughable any1 actually buys it.

3 Likes

Considering you do want/need to buy a GPU right now, I’d go with Vega; it performs better on more recent titles and in DX12 and Vulkan. Furthermore, it is technologically more advanced than a 1080. Also, you get undervolting and AMD chill, which drastically reduces power consumption and heat generation (though your mileage may vary, depending on your Chill preferences). Another point for Vega is that AMD cards age better than Nvidia cards. They became faster, while Nvidia cards often get slower.

The last point is a political perspective and in my opinion, this should always be considered on products that are pure luxury. Nvidia lies to its own customers and as a consequence holds them in low regard (970 memory stuff :wink: ). Besides, AMD favours open standards, while Nvidia prefers closed standards.

It does come down to price. Both cards do trade blows performance wise. Nvidia maybe announcing a 1100 series card release that might bring some good prices but there is no rush with the cards selling at the mining inflated prices.

Agreed with @FaunCB if your on Linux amd is a good way to go.

2 Likes

All AMD have talked about concerning 7nm Vega is machine learning cards - there probably won’t be any new consumer cards from AMD until Navi.

AMD will use the 7nm Vega as a pipe cleaner for the new 7nm process(es). Even if the yields are abysmal, they can make a profit due to the high prices.

1 Like

You sure about that?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=rx-vega-linux1&num=5

And with the jacked up pricing a 1080 looks to be the better bang for buck on any OS.

If gaming, GTX1080

I had a 1070 and moved to a Vega 56 and am much happier with it. The software is better, the gaming experience is equal or better and FreeSync is great and not an expensive add-on to a monitor. It’s also a lot more fun to tinker with but YMMV in that regard of course. Since some people just want to slot the thing in and leave it.

1 Like

If you are doing VRAM intensive things that potentially use a lot of vram, get the vega because of the HBCC.

What jacked up price? Prices are back down, open drivers are excellent, if your wanting a high end card on Linux it’s a good hassle free option.

1 Like

I think this is very much key. Now freesync and gsync is a tech and when you use them an actual real life benefit to gaming can be seen.

Game X at 71 Fps or 68 Fps at 1440p is like meh. But using it paired with a freesync or gsync display does matter.

Thanks to corporate segregation and not making standards. We are stuck with low end to mid stream PC GFX card and a crossroad to choose for gsync or freesync. Pick a team.

That sucks hard because My dual displays are 10 years old and 6 years old. So I like my displays but I dont want to be locked into a graphics card brand.

My next display has to be team red or green :(… I use linux so red and simple but its a stupid pickle windows gamers are stuck with.

Just for clarification, the teams are:

• Nvidia
  • Everyone else

Microsoft is running Freesync on Xbone, Intel supports it, some Samsung TVs support it…
Freesync is spreading as a standard, G-sync isn’t.

7 Likes

I have to agree with others that g-sync and freesync is great. I couldn’t go back after I tried it.
If you’re getting a new monitor you should factor in freesync VS g-sync cost.

The 1080 consistently beats it in most games on Linux and is cheaper.

If the Vega 64 was say $50 cheaper it would be a harder choice but seems clear cut to me.

Also, it’s under load power consumption is pretty high

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/19

Now, the Vega 56 is a decent deal for the money, though.

Except the drivers constantly break, are a pain in the ass to install, and you can’t overclock.

Other than that, sure I guess.

It is few clicks with mainstream distros…

My 1080 Max-Qis set it and forget it on Kubuntu.

It is literally not a single click with ANY distro running 4.15 or later.

My opinion is very simple on this and I have mentioned it several times in other threads so this will surprise nobody: I’m not giving Nvidia a single penny. Fuck that company!

• If they’re the same price, performance is roughly equivalent.

• If you run Linux, AMD.

• If you have a freesync monitor, go AMD.

• If G-sync, Nvidia.

• If neither, point in AMD’s favor as freesync monitors are cheaper.

Assuming everything is at MSRP and you don’t run Linux, I would recommend a 1070ti over a 1080. Better price/performance. Same deal with a Vega 56 over a Vega 64.