Should I get a gtx 1080 or Vega 64

It is three on Ubuntu. Opensuse is around 4-5 with the web package browser thing.

And, cool story that you personify companies as friends and enemies. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

…says literally Microsoft. xD

2 Likes

I hate that corporate policies are ignored these days. There are ethical questions surrounding our purchasing choices, and they are as valid a reason as straight performance numbers to at least some people.

But the OP didn’t ask for that, so I didn’t include my views in my own post, just my personal experience.

I really like the current Windows drivers and tools that AMD has made and is putting into their development. I don’t have to register for datamining purposes (yet another internet login to be hacked, right?), I can OC right from the software, and it even has (mostl well-working) built-in performance monitoring. It also never fails to load the color profile, which my 1070 driver failed to do about 1/3 of the time.

1 Like

Nvidia removed the registration requirement from their drivers due to the GDPR. You do still need to register for GeForce Experience though.

Also Nvidia still installs telemetry and does not allow users to opt-out. You need to disable them using something like Sysinternals Autoruns. Look for “nvtm” and “nvidia telemetry container”. I do this after every single update.

2 Likes

This is what I was talking about, not the actual driver (they’d never get away with that one). That means no Shadowplay and whatever else they include in it. I never installed it.

I can get them for around both $620 in my area, I use vfio so the card I buy is passed through to a windows vm to game and use editing programs. I hear the 10 series has issues with gpu passthrough, not sure if thats still the case but that would be a deal breaker.

I have 1080 in my gaming machine, and a Vega 56 in my Linux primary machine.
I favored team red for my linux machine, due to drivers.
In my gaming machine, which I built in july 2016, I have a 1080 FTW, because it was the king of the hill at the time :slight_smile:

As for your case, either the 1080 or vega 64 will push a lot of pixels. IMO it comes down to the price of the cards, and if you somewhere in the future would like a monitor with either freesync or g-sync. When you buy your gpu it kinda decide what kind of monitor you want - if you want adaptive refresh rate.
My 1080 do 3440x1440 @ 100 hz no problem.
And for pass trough, the Nvidia driver can detects if it’s in a VM, and it will disable itself. There is a workaround. But doing pass trough with the Vega 64 will be less of a hassle.
There is a guide (of sorts) here on one who passed through a 1080 to a windows vm: Ryzen Virtualization Success (GTX 1080ti passthrough with Windows 10 client)

I think I might give the vega 64 a shot (only because I can get them at the same price). If I dont like it I will just try to sell it and get a 1080. I would get a 1080ti but its just too expensive for me, not comfortable paying 900 dollars for a gpu atm. I am curious how well the undervolting will go for me, from my research it seems most people are able to undervolt and see 5-8% performance gains I wonder how true that will be for me.

2 Likes

Hmm, the Windows drivers are still closed-source, right?

I wonder if you could get some people together to write a port of AMDGPU to Windows and ReactOS?
That would be a sight. :slightly_smiling_face:

Nvidia is binary only and worse in compute.

I own 2x Vega 64s in crossfire. The power consumption isn’t that bad if you run them in power save or balanced mode, and the performance doesn’t drop much.

If you’ve got a half decent power supply you’ll be fine.

Even running 3dmark firestrike, in crossfire, the highest total system draw i’ve seen on balanced is around 550 watts (Corsair link reported) from memory (disclaimer: my CPU is not overclocked - it’s an E3-1231v3 Xeon).

Sure, thats more than a 1080, or even 2x 1080s, but it’s not far off a pair fo 1080 TIs, and the compute performance is equivalent.

I’m still more confident that driver improvements will continue and that Vega anything will be a better long-term buy than a 1080.

People (well Nvidia fanboys in particular) always like to point out how great Nvidia is in Nvidia sponsored/gameworks titles, but whenever AMD have a major win (e.g., Wolfenstein 2, Doom, etc.) they point out “oh but that’s an AMD game!!11!!1”.

DX12/Vulkan and async compute/rapid packed math are going to be more common in newer games and that’s where AMD will be the better long term buy. ANY mid-range card you can buy will run old games from 2-3 years ago fast enough (1080p60) already.

Given all the modern consoles are AMD (PS4 is Polaris but tweaked - also includes rapid packed math for example), and even intel is including AMD GPUs in their new kaby lake-g series, software support for Vega will only get much better from here.

Buying a product on unknowns is not a great idea.

As I already said the Vega 54 is good for the price the 64 is not. No fanboy mentality here. Last desktop I had was a 390 crossfire system.

Yep. Vega56, 1070ti, and 1080ti are the price/performance winners at their given tiers. At MSRPs, anyway. Vega64 and 1080 are not good deals.

The Vega 64 and 1080 will run terminal or other CLI pretty well on high settings. Whatever is least expensive. Both manufacturers have their quirks on Linux.

Ultra or death! High is for filthy casual console gamers! Mono font master race!

the vega 56 will do 1440p at ultra above 60 in a good amount of titles? I think the vega 64 and 1080 can and sure the 1070ti and 56 can but I just wanted to get the best I could get in my price range.

EDIT: the 1070ti actually looks pretty good but again i’m not in the mood to pay extra for a gsync monitor, I guess that just leaves the 56 which from what I can tell is pretty good but the vega 56 in my area is only 40 dollars cheaper than a 64 and 1080 they also dropped to $600 from $620 does that still make it better?

I have a plain ol 1070 on a 1440p 144hz setup. Works just fine in most every game I play. Granted some stuff isnt getting to the full 144 on ultra or whatever highest setting but its well above 60. I also dont have a gsync setup. If your target is 60fps I wouldnt be concerned about what the monitor supports.

My nearest best buy has a few 1080’s in the $500-$600 range.

It really boils down to your end use case.

Is it Linux? Go 1080 or 1070(time) fs you don’t care about open source drivers and want performance. If you call it “GNU/Linux” look at AMD.

Is it passthrough all the time? AMD performs better there.

Is it Windows? 1080, 1070(ti) and Vega 56 aren’t bad. But because of the terrible power draw and that it is more expensive than a 1080 I cannot recommend the Vega 64.

I’ll personally don’t see any difference with gsync or freesync. I have ran 390 with my free sync monitor and my Laptop has a 1080 and Gsync. I don’t see the hype.

But if it matters to you Vega 56 will save the most money all around with power, monitor and pure card cost.

In games it depends on the games “Ultra” on some games run like ass on all cards. Turn off AA, motion blur and extra shadow effects and most upper end cards are fine at that resolution. If you play “competive” stuff then you can hit 120+fps just fine with any of the above.

This card will only passthrough to windows 10. I might just get the 56 then. I thought undervolting the 64 would help with the power issue but I guess it can only help so much. I also seen with some tweaks the 56 gets scary close to the 64 in some situations.

Vega56 hits 450W under load,

One of the biggest issues with Vega cards is the inflated price, often well above any GTX options.

AMD is going to loose many customers over the next year as they avoid the GPU market(consumers) and give it to NVIDIA. Shame.