Return to Level1Techs.com

Semi Truck Rig

Same here, I played it a lot before I got my CDL.

0 Likes

well today i made the ground loop isolator. but it didnt solve the power supply buzz that i am experiencing. i brought the system inside and the buzz goes away on the home electrical. im wondering if its just an after effect of being powered by the inverter. in a couple weeks i think i am going to get some fans to move more airflow across the back for the GPU. overall this week i was able to get some game time in and its nice. it certainly helps relax after an 11 hour drive shift. here soon i plan to get some developer tools installed. home rig gets a core (CPU MOBO RAM) upgrade towards end of this year.

1 Like

If the inverter isnt pure sine, thats probably your issue.

0 Likes

Considering it’s the one you get at any truck stop I doubt it’s that fancy. Maybe a nice momentary short is in order to fry this one so fiancé lets me have a new one :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

a pure sine UPS might do the trick for less total cost but will mean more load.

0 Likes

the psu on my pc gets some gnarly coil whine when it’s powered by my ups

0 Likes

See and I really considered getting even a small UPS just to act as a filter because I figured the power coming off the inverter wasn’t good

0 Likes

Have you considered a dc to dc power supply?
might not work since the input range is 16-30v

1 Like

No I have not. I didn’t realize they made these. But yeah the voltage would be a problem. Truck only outputs 14V off alternator. Which gets under 14V with losses. Not sure though if I could step up the voltage somehow or not. I’ll probably find either a UPS a let it take the abuse. Or get a nicer inverter.

0 Likes

True, a nicer inverter will be kinder to the rest of your ac components.

0 Likes

Might explain why my last microwave died

1 Like

The ups is probably cheaper than a new pure sine inverter but its gonna maybe be a PITA because you have to turn it off every time with your PC.

1 Like

Ironically I have the slightly older And none pure sine wave version of that ups :laughing: it’s a solid ups but mine needs a replacement battery. Just haven’t bothered to order one.

0 Likes

Powersonic, they can be had for fairly cheap on amazon or wherever. Use them at work for our UPS replacement batteries.

0 Likes

I think a OEM replacement is 50 bucks. So unless it’s like half that I would opt for that

0 Likes

It probably will be about half that.

0 Likes

APC UPS Battery Replacement for APC UPS Models BR1500G, BR1300G, BX1500M, BX1500G, SMC1000-2U, SMC1000-2UC, BR1500GI, SMC1000-2U, SMC1000-2UC and Select Others (APCRBC124) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F08NSM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GwKPCbFC0G5M1

This is the OEM one. Kinda browsed powersonic brand and didn’t see one for this form factor.

0 Likes

looks like dual 1290s on some kind of a jig to make a quick connect

hard to tell without pulling them apart though.

0 Likes

Yeah. It’s whatever really. If I knew how to build my own UPS that would output in pure sine then might be a fun project…alright google here we go

0 Likes

I mean, the truck is already acting as a UPS right? dont they have their own BMS that starts the truck if the voltage drops too much?

0 Likes