Semi Truck Rig

Same here, I played it a lot before I got my CDL.

well today i made the ground loop isolator. but it didnt solve the power supply buzz that i am experiencing. i brought the system inside and the buzz goes away on the home electrical. im wondering if its just an after effect of being powered by the inverter. in a couple weeks i think i am going to get some fans to move more airflow across the back for the GPU. overall this week i was able to get some game time in and its nice. it certainly helps relax after an 11 hour drive shift. here soon i plan to get some developer tools installed. home rig gets a core (CPU MOBO RAM) upgrade towards end of this year.

1 Like

If the inverter isnt pure sine, thats probably your issue.

Considering it’s the one you get at any truck stop I doubt it’s that fancy. Maybe a nice momentary short is in order to fry this one so fiancĂ© lets me have a new one :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

a pure sine UPS might do the trick for less total cost but will mean more load.

the psu on my pc gets some gnarly coil whine when it’s powered by my ups

See and I really considered getting even a small UPS just to act as a filter because I figured the power coming off the inverter wasn’t good

Have you considered a dc to dc power supply?
might not work since the input range is 16-30v

1 Like

No I have not. I didn’t realize they made these. But yeah the voltage would be a problem. Truck only outputs 14V off alternator. Which gets under 14V with losses. Not sure though if I could step up the voltage somehow or not. I’ll probably find either a UPS a let it take the abuse. Or get a nicer inverter.

True, a nicer inverter will be kinder to the rest of your ac components.

Might explain why my last microwave died

1 Like

The ups is probably cheaper than a new pure sine inverter but its gonna maybe be a PITA because you have to turn it off every time with your PC.

1 Like

Ironically I have the slightly older And none pure sine wave version of that ups :laughing: it’s a solid ups but mine needs a replacement battery. Just haven’t bothered to order one.

Powersonic, they can be had for fairly cheap on amazon or wherever. Use them at work for our UPS replacement batteries.

I think a OEM replacement is 50 bucks. So unless it’s like half that I would opt for that

It probably will be about half that.

APC UPS Battery Replacement for APC UPS Models BR1500G, BR1300G, BX1500M, BX1500G, SMC1000-2U, SMC1000-2UC, BR1500GI, SMC1000-2U, SMC1000-2UC and Select Others (APCRBC124) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F08NSM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GwKPCbFC0G5M1

This is the OEM one. Kinda browsed powersonic brand and didn’t see one for this form factor.

looks like dual 1290s on some kind of a jig to make a quick connect

hard to tell without pulling them apart though.

Yeah. It’s whatever really. If I knew how to build my own UPS that would output in pure sine then might be a fun project
alright google here we go

I mean, the truck is already acting as a UPS right? dont they have their own BMS that starts the truck if the voltage drops too much?