Seagate Hard Drive's good or bad?

Actually @blanger its pretty much the same that I am aiming for. The system I'll be building soon, will be a 'workhorse' that I want to run for the next 5 to 6 years! Minor upgrades as and when. As well as learning to program on it and a few GOG.com games, I am also planning on using it for storing photo's that I will be taking with a DSLR that I'll be getting later in the year.

Or if you can afford it then get all SSDs like I did lol. My Machine is running like water right now.

2 Likes

Given the price of good hardware and the useful life outside of a primary desktop it just makes good sense to re-use when you can, we have two primary desktops and four workstations, all the workstations use hand-me-down hardware, hard drives do degrade with age so we normally don't re-purpose them as primary drives but as secondary storage they are fine as long as you have a good backup solution in place.

1 Like

If you have the chance to get a small SSD just for the OS try to shoot for it. an SSD will make your system feel so much faster.

But yea seagates seem to be a little worse for wear when it comes to QC but they're not bad drive by any means, I don't seen any REAL reason to not recommend them honestly.

I have seen more seagate drives fail then other brands but that's anecdotal evidence.

1 Like

Out of stock, but they (ocuk) do stock these!

This 1TB Western Digital Blue has come down in price on Amazon recently and is cheaper than the Seagate you listed. I am using this model in my desktop for games and such and have no complainants so far.

1 Like

Just added it to my wish list!!! :O)

Have a look at backblaze they put out info every month or so.

The running conclusion so far is this. Stay away from seagate drives 3TB and under. Everything else is generally for the most part fine.

HSGT are the best drives of the lot.

All manufacturers do well with 4TB drives.

Oh, I thought it was the drives over 3TB ??? I'll take a butchers hook at Backbaze, now! :O)

Statistics Based on 49,056 Hard Drives

I posted about it last week on another thread. 4TB seems to be the sweet spot where theres a fairly consistent failure rate among manufacturers, with exception of HGST who are under 1%.

Theres a specific seagate 3TB drives thats just terrible. But there 4TB drive does fairly well

size  | failure rate Q1-3 2015
1TB   | 8.66%
1.5TB | 15.10%
2TB   | 2.87% 
3TB   | 4.33%
4TB   | 2.18%
5TB   | 3.84%
6TB   | 3.64%
8TB   | 3.41%
1 Like

look through the forums here and you'll find a lot of people and comments about seagates dying. i got a dead one a few feet from me now (normal use lasted less then a year). you wont find a lot of people with dead wd or hitachi's. it does happen but less often. if you look at the price differences it's a easy decision.

Here's my collection of Seagate platters:

For some more context these are all 500gb platters, two pairs from two 1tb drive, and the rest from 500gb drives.

I was exclusively running Seagate a few years ago until I lost all my photos, videos, and other important stuff. The main drive died without any warning, and two days later the backup drive also gave up the smoke. The next few months the smattering of 500 GB drives either began the click of death or outright stopped working.
In the end I had 2x 1tb drives fail, 4x 500gb drives fail, and currently have two 500gb drives remaining, one which has begun the click of death, and one that seems to be ok.

From what I read, this generation of 500 GB platters were notorious for failing. It could be that, or it just could be Seagate makes high failure drives. I dunno, but I've since moved to WD and haven't had a problem with their drives (except when I accidentally dropped one).

1 Like

Which is why I don't quite understand Linus?! He must have a lot of cash to throw away?!

That is shocking!!!!

I'm pretty sure his hard drives were sponsored. Also he got enterprise drives, which hold up far better than consumer drives.

1 Like

Ah, got ya!!!! That explains it!!! :O)

Yea Backblaze was pretty biased towards Seagate. I guess that's what you do when WD is the only domestic provider of HDs, better support Microsoft than Sony right? They underplay the failure rate of Reds and 1.5TB WDs pass 2 years and they also took salvaged Seagate HD off the poorer quality external USB HDD drives, which where known to fail more cuz they weren't suppose to run 24/7 also they didn't label any of them with timestamps or dates so it could be just the same cheap externals failing meanwhile the standard internal ones are doing fine.
WD's stil have rust in my taste way back in 2000-02, when they had that massive failure, when most drives failed before 5 year warranty. Sure Seagates failed too as much as WD, but honestly I haven't had a WD older than 2008 (1TB blacks) left compared to Seagate which I still have one back in 2000 actively chugging along.

1 Like

IKR, that 2014 was so WD PR. Considering they were going under. Give those drives 5 year I bet it's near 25% meanwhile the others will probably stay under 15%.

1 Like

I can concure to that WD are great if they last more than 1+ year. Just don't ever drop them more than 1cm while operating.

1 Like