Seagate Hard Drive's good or bad?

That looks fine and not too much more than amazon online!

1 Like

I've never had a problem with seagate personally and I have quite a few of them in my box. WD was always a pain in the ass. I would get a new drive and it would die in 3 days. The velociraptor drive I got for free is the only one that hasn't exploded.

For what you get for your money they are excellent drives. though from experience I wouldn't really recommend you buy a drive past their two terabytes. the higher capacities tend to die quicker than the lower ones.

I've had excellent experiences with both WD and Seagate. though if you need something good for cheap. seagates is the way to go.

1 Like

1 TB will be more than enough for me for the forseeable future. :O)

1 Like

Though I will say this, if you can, definitely partition your hard drive so that Windows (or Linux) see's your OS as a seperate individual drive. it will save you the headache in the future when you migrate your OS to an SSD.

1 Like

That's good to know @Kat
Windows 8.1 for this build. :O)

I have gone through several hundred drives in my pro carrier; nothing has had a higher failure rate than seagate ,in my experience, with Hitachi and WD being the better of them all.

2 Likes

I wonder what/how good HGST are? I know that @wendell uses them.

I learned the hard way with my 2TB Drive. I didn't partition anything, and I couldn't move my OS to an SSD. I had to empty out the drive ENTIRELY. I had to back up about a Terabyte of Data, then delete it off the hard drive so I could migrate Windows to the SSD. took like 2 or 3 hours to do. so much headache.

1 Like

HGST is Hitachi, who are owned by WD.

1 Like

They are very good, but their NAS and enterprise drives are a bit overkill for you, general mainstream users don't really need to worry

1 Like

Ouch!!!
Unless I get an SSD for the boot (Windows) drive and a mechanical for saving files? I just need to get the money toogether and take it from there!

but the time the SSD's are going to be more and more cheaper. I bought a 960GiB SSD for my stuff and a 120GiB SSD for my OS for a total price of $230 on Cyber Monday. I can't imagine in about a few months to a year

1 Like

You can get a small SSD pretty cheap, like even a 60gb one if you can afford that? although the difference in price between a 60gb and 128gb is so small you may as well get the 128.

Im sure if you shop around you could find a good deal :)

1 Like

256GB would be fine.

1 Like

Also running two Seagate drives in my PC along side a Samsung SSD. They are 500gb and 2tb, both running fine no issues for a few years now.

I have alsoe had a WD 2.5 320gb drive it was also fine but ran surprisingly hot.

Whatever you decide backups are always a good idea anyway.

1 Like

Lets all just say though, HGST is an investment.

1 Like

Agreed!!!

1 Like

I am curious. Is there a reason the 3TB and up drives just explode?

1 Like

Exactly any manufacturer can have a bad run, I've had Seagate and WD drives fail over the years but probably more Seagate then any other, but I have one of their hybrid drives in my system now that is 3 years old and still running fine, but if I was building new I'd probably buy a SSD as my primary drive and a HGST for storage sine I tend to run hardware for a long time then re-purpose the left overs from a new build into one of the older workstations around here, we pretty well run hardware until it has no useful life in it.

2 Likes