Ryzen instability in Witcher 3

One uppon a time, I had problems related to shutdowns and restarts. Further info here.

Now I have a different problem: Witcher 3 closes at random
Was running arround searching for something, suddenly crash to desktop. Restarted the game, loaded up the save again and went on for another 2 to 3 hours when the game suddenly closed mid-cutscene.

System specs:
Ryzen 7 1700X @ stock
2x 8GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200MHz @ 2400MHz
R9 Fury @ stock (Driver Package 18.3.4 Adrenalin Edition)
Seasonic M12II 750W
ASRock X370 fatality gaming K4 (BIOS version 4.50)
Win7 64bit Homepremium

What I checked so far
CPU temperature is fine (45°C)
GPU temperature is fine (60°C to 70°C)
Motherboard VRM temperature is fine (50ish °C)
RAM, CPU and GPU load are all as expected.
Voltages are all as expected.
VIN10 (the one causing me headaches previously) is seemingly fine.

The only idea I have right now is this:

Any further ideas?

The last I read there was some known issues with Witcher 3 on AMD GPUs but I don’t think they are crash related.

Everything is up to date? Stable drivers or beta drivers?

Should be, will check.
Stable driver release.

Edit: Driver Package 18.3.4 Adrenalin Edition
Currently loading 18.5.1 and will test how that goes.

There are also BIOS updates https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp#BIOS

The description doesn’t specifically mentioned any fixes for potential crash issues though so might not be needed or do anything.

1 Like

Witcher 3 will eventually crash which you can notice just faster after increasing draw distances and just popping open every barrel

That sounds like it is running out of memory.

Have you tried older drivers? (Create a system restore point)
What is utilisation of the fury during play (use Hwmon/Radeon settings).
Is there other driver software running during use i.e MSI AB, 3rd party utils.
Does the gpu sag too much? [If it is too difficult to prop gpu up to test one could lie the case sideways]

I saw the stress testing of CPU-Z in the deprecated thread.
Does PC survive a couple mins of prime95?

I assume you don’t want to ask for the old thread back. Why?

VRAM is at 2800MB
RAM arround 8GB

80 to 100%
Stable in all other games.

Happens regardless. Normally have MSi AB running but tried without. No difference.

1.77mm over the length of the card (meassured case to cooler)

Yup. Can also render for 12 hours in SonyVegas or DaVinci Resolve.

off topic

Don´t want another discussion about the rule I am not fond off.

That is an easy thing to test. Will try max out draw distance and get a stopwatch going.

@MazeFrame

Do NOT UPDATE to 4.80 on the X370 Gaming K4

I REPEAT DO NOT UPDATE to 4.80
4.70 is the max safe version right now.

MESSAGE OVER

Regarding Witcher 3
I can run it perfectly fine in Crossfire with RX580’s. It’s worked on every driver version so far since I’ve had the cards.

Only tweak I’ve always had is capping Max Tesselation level at 8x in Radeon settings.

3 Likes

Needs more emoji. This is good to know. What’s up with 4.8?

The Agesa version it reports is bogus (1.0.0.2 instead of 1.0.0.4) and RAM stability with Hynix MFR is a crazy show.

Also has serious problems under linux with Ryzen Cryptographic coprocessor init causing udev & boot problems. (CCP Module)

2 Likes

Tried to search a bit if I would have written anywhere what settings I did set to my last Witcher 3 run, but couldnt find anything

BUT!, but, that draw distance mod did mostly improve performance for me, and then some of its settings did clearly lower it, and I think it was foliage distance which caused that game to crash faster

:man_shrugging:t2:

understood.
Will leave BIOS as is for now and conduct tests as soon as my room is below 30°C again.

Only other tweaks I did to my game was limit Antialiasing to SMAA or something, avoid the Nvidia HBAO+ which looks the same and runs bad.

Even have hairworks turned up to the max - just got to limit Tesselation in drivers to 8X, which is plenty and looks identical to all higher settings. Else the game goes crazy and runs at 64X which is an utter waste of the graphics pipeline.

20 minutes in:

Edit: 2 hour session without hickups.

Oh I meant these distance settings, but yes, SMAA works out better, also Lumasharpen works better than the ingame adaptive one which causes black pixels

But I did not notice changing tessellation improving perfromance, and with that Fury it has been generally HBAO Full whats most demanding setting, while these others have 0-1fps impact, including tessallation

In case anyone wanted to know:
Results in 50 to 100FPS depending on area.

You seem to have ultra wide monitor, neat

That setups fov probably draws more than my 1440p, right?

Nope. 1080p 21:9 is 75% of your pixels.