"Ryzen APUs can't ECC." Prove me wrong!

I am about to upgrade/downgrade from a 2400g to a 1700 and plan to use the 2400g in a home server if i get the money for parts, so would also like to know if ECC is supported.
Since i don’t want to spend too much i have been looking at cheap mobos and noticed that the asrock A320M-DVS R4.0 spec sheet states that only pro raven ridge CPUs support ECC so it doesn’t seem likely.

Someone around here has gotta have both some ECC ram and an APU for a least a test. I am curious about this too. Even if its just a couple people saying you couldn’t get it to work either, any input out there?

Does an Athlon 200GE count? I have ECC, an MSI b350 and a 200ge. I could try it later…

1 Like

Sure. One actual confirmation would be one more than we currently have. And for a FreeNAS systems the 200GE could be perfectly fine performance wise. I’d suggest an ubuntu 19.04 flavor for testing.

3 Likes

Well I’ll check if it boots at all first, and go from there. I’ll reply when I get back home later.

3 Likes

Looks like no go with the Athlon 200GE.
It does boot, both windows and Linux as we will see. Here is BIOS (sorry for Iphone pic)

On windows - It returns a 3 (No ECC) on the check in CMD

On Ubuntu its the same, no ECC recognition

Still don’t know about the other Ryzen chips. They might be different. 1950X on a designare works for sure.
this is with these DIMMS -

1 Like

not the end of the world not to have ECC with zfs, it’s a redundancy that fixes an edge case that isn’t catastrophic in the first place if that’s your desired application.

If your system starts mangling writes or other stuff in memory you’ll get a load of warnings and no damage

I have two Ryzen 3 1200 running as firewall and NAS on different boards with ECC running fine. (Not saying it always works but just confirming that it can work.) It is specifically the APUs that I have never seen working.

Thanks for your time to do the testing! :+1:

I am aware but it is a use case and people want that. I’d be one of those.
Also that is not what this thread is about.

1 Like

So it shows ECC as functional when you look for it, not just boots into the OS, right?

Get the AsrockRack board problem solved (no gpu needed)

Yes, I checked EDAC, dmidecode and lshw before I put FreeNAS on the system. I did check on my router as well but probably not all three methods.

Not the point of this thread. That was just an example.

1 Like

yeah, a lot of people seem to throw ‘folk knowledge’ around about death scrubs and cosmic radiation though so you never know. Wasn’t trying to derail the thread.

1 Like

Wait, so you already have ECC RAM and 2 AM4 motherboards working with ECC? Isn’t that 90% of the battle, figuring out which boards will function with it? All you would need is an APU to jam in and test. Maybe someone can lend you one, or there is a 2200G for sale here $65 + shipping that you could likely resell if it doesn’t pan out.

I have yet to see any real evidence of this actually working and only conjecture. I doubt there are many/any people here willing to do this except maybe Wendell (he appears to have the hardware). Given that you already have motherboards (plural) known to work with ECC and other CPU’s, you are probably the most reliable person here to test an APU.

If you want something done, well, you know the saying.

I did my part, read the first post. :wink:

Last year I also tested several motherboards using a 2400G with 2x16GB Crucial DDR4-2400 ECC but found no indication that ECC was active. There are several reddit posts discussing this as well and to date no one has offered solid evidence that ECC works with the APUs. I ended up getting some low-end PCIe x1 video cards for my Ryzen 3 1200-based servers and have been running them with ECC RAM.

According to James Prior, the problem is that motherboard manufacturers do not provide BIOS support for this: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/amd-ama-starts-at-12pm-est-on-wednesday-may-9.2545291/page-3#post-39418197

3 Likes

If AMD says it doesnt not support it why would anyone need to prove you wrong? They dont owe anything to the end users and its nice they have it enabled on most chips and not just a few like intel. Are we really expecting something to change?

looks like its gt710 season again boys

amd has this habit of just sorta leaving in features and not telling anyone so I can see why he wanted further confirmation

Examples? the OC on none OC zen chips was mobo manufactures not locking it down like they were suppose to

ecc in ryzen 3, ostensibly sriov in consumer gpus (yet to see anyone confirm this one in practice), etc

they also did stuff like using full hawaii dies on 290’s and fury’s that just needed a flash, bios unlockable cpus, list goes on