"Ryzen APUs can't ECC." Prove me wrong!

Wait, so you already have ECC RAM and 2 AM4 motherboards working with ECC? Isn’t that 90% of the battle, figuring out which boards will function with it? All you would need is an APU to jam in and test. Maybe someone can lend you one, or there is a 2200G for sale here $65 + shipping that you could likely resell if it doesn’t pan out.

I have yet to see any real evidence of this actually working and only conjecture. I doubt there are many/any people here willing to do this except maybe Wendell (he appears to have the hardware). Given that you already have motherboards (plural) known to work with ECC and other CPU’s, you are probably the most reliable person here to test an APU.

If you want something done, well, you know the saying.

I did my part, read the first post. :wink:

Last year I also tested several motherboards using a 2400G with 2x16GB Crucial DDR4-2400 ECC but found no indication that ECC was active. There are several reddit posts discussing this as well and to date no one has offered solid evidence that ECC works with the APUs. I ended up getting some low-end PCIe x1 video cards for my Ryzen 3 1200-based servers and have been running them with ECC RAM.

According to James Prior, the problem is that motherboard manufacturers do not provide BIOS support for this: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/amd-ama-starts-at-12pm-est-on-wednesday-may-9.2545291/page-3#post-39418197

3 Likes

If AMD says it doesnt not support it why would anyone need to prove you wrong? They dont owe anything to the end users and its nice they have it enabled on most chips and not just a few like intel. Are we really expecting something to change?

looks like its gt710 season again boys

amd has this habit of just sorta leaving in features and not telling anyone so I can see why he wanted further confirmation

Examples? the OC on none OC zen chips was mobo manufactures not locking it down like they were suppose to

ecc in ryzen 3, ostensibly sriov in consumer gpus (yet to see anyone confirm this one in practice), etc

they also did stuff like using full hawaii dies on 290’s and fury’s that just needed a flash, bios unlockable cpus, list goes on

ECC runs fine on Summit Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge. It seems unsupported on Raven Ridge aka the APUs.

Read the first post.

All this stuff has caused me to go back to looking at Xeon SOCs for my NAS.

Confused Raven ridge is the only APU family so what does that have to do with anything? So why would an architecture = support into a family that none of them are in

Never saw the no ecc on R3 chips

(further research " ***ECC is not disabled. It works, but not validated for our consumer client platform.***" admintted to it being not disabled but not tested makes sense to not list it

Required modding, not really the same.

“yet to see anyone confirm this one in practice”

I mean they could have lasered the dies like every other vendor

my point is there’s precedent here

I mean they were / still are poor AF, small % of the cards were prob flashed, I mean fuck most people dont even OC

Guys, stop.

none of that is relevant, i was just pointing out it’s something they do

sorry.

I think the conclusion here is that it’s up to the board OEMs to write it in if it is indeed working in hw(spurious reports both ways on that), and none of them have bothered or no one interested has gotten lucky with their board and documented it

A conclusion would be definitive. So far nobody has actually done what some people suggest should/might/could maybe work. So there is no conclusion.
That is the point of this topic.

Anyone with new information of value is welcome to share.
Anyone who doesn’t see the value in this topic is welcome to leave.

I’m as interested as you are in knowing actually

it’d be nice to have an option that’s cheaper than a cpu and a gt710 that supports ecc

1 Like

Except he has two boards working with other CPU’s but don’t work with APU’s. Important info for the first post that was omitted, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered following this thread. Clearly too niche for anyone else to bother with it. I guess I forgot the part in the beginning that he had used an APU because I was going to look into procuring one for testing. Since that isn’t the case and can no longer be of any help I will leave.