Ryzen 5 3400G ECC Memory Support

Hi,
I am in the process of building a DIY NAS (proxmox with zfs raid).
I already ordered all the parts but realised that maybe the 3400G wouldn’t support ECC due to the integrated graphics. So I want to confirm either way if it is supported/working or not.
I also ordered the Ryzen 5 3600 as backup and now I am not even sure if that would work since I read the specs of my motherboard again and it states that ECC is only supported on PRO CPU’s. ( www. gigabyte .com /Motherboard/B450-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/sp#sp ) Does this mean it has not been tested or there is a software lock in place to prevent non PRO CPU’s from working with ECC.
I have also read something about 2-bit error detection doesn’t work but I think that was for the 2000 series. Has that been fixed?

Also if the motherboard doesn’t work I have found this one which defenitely supports ECC (
www. asus .com /Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-I-GAMING/specifications/ ) but has a B350 chipset. The newer B450 doesn’t support ECC anymore so that would basically be my only option. Would B350 work with 3000 series or should I go for a 2600 with that one?

I found a couple resources. Seems the consensus is no…

– AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Matisse) support DDR4 4533+(OC) / 4400(OC) / 4300(OC) / 4266(OC) / 4200(OC) / 4133(OC) / 3466(OC) / 3200/2933/2667/2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
– AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge) support DDR4 3600+(OC) / 3466(OC) / 3200(OC) / 2933/2667/2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*

above snippet is about halfway down the page of the following link…

Ryzen CPUs do support unbuffered ECC dimms. If the ECC feature is supported differs from board to board.
I have not seen functioning ECC support with any AMD APU. Ever.
I do have multiple systems running with working multibit ECC support.

So:

• APU -> no ECC
  • CPU -> depends on the board
2 Likes

Yes, ECC is disabled by AMD on the Ryzen non-Pro APUs on a hardware level - nothing on a motherboard can change that (to my knowledge).

I don’t really understand why though.

As best I know it is because the RAM is controlled by the GPU half of the APU which means they’d need to give the GPU support for ECC RAM.

Thank you all for your answers. I just hope my motherboard works with the 3600.

if it doesnt, you can get a temporary cpu from AMD to update the bios so it will, but i think you wont have a problem.

I thought about that for a moment but would an integrated Vega GPU with ECC support really cannibalize any other AMD GPU?

I’m not that into the GPU scene but the “smallest” current AMD GPU with ECC seems to be the Radeon Pro WX 8200 - a slightly different SKU…

Any AM4 board can work with that chip and given how efficient it is, even VRMs don’t really matter. Only thing you might need is a BIOS update to enable support for ZEN2. On most boards (specifically the cheaper ones) you will need a supported CPU first to do that.

Yes I know I meant with ECC enabled and working multi-bit error correction

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.