Rx 480 is here

It runs at 300 as an average while not in game but once in game goes up to 990MHz as its meant to

Strange. Hard to troubleshoot through the internet though and this is hardly the thread to do it in.

Yeah thanks anyway Ill probably just phone up the store I got it from

I would like to point out that the current rumor is that the PS4 Neo will have basically the entire Polaris 10 chip in the graphics section of the APU. Raja has been hinting that Polaris is the basis of the Neo, but hasn't said if it is essentially Polaris 10, 11, or some variant, so the rumor is that it is 10. If that is the case, then the PS4 Neo has some seriously impressive specs. It does seem reasonable considering that the PS4 when launched had the equivalent of a $200 gpu inside of the APU (about a 7870). So now that they are releasing a new version, a $200 gpu ie Polaris 10, would make sense.

1 Like

I am quite excited by this anouncement, actually. I myself don't specifically have need for this card. But imagine, what a 200$ price tag GTX 980 could do for PC gaming. I already run the latter, and I can really run almost anything I wish to. But I paid 500$ for that half a year ago. It's what ford did with cars - power for the masses!

And I think that "VR card" is actually a promise they could deliver. 2x200$ for a crossfire setup. If they have smart drivers, you basically have two viewports (one per GPU) like the GTX 1080 has - but for a lot less. I am not sold on a crossfire setup for non-VR gaming though (microlags etc.)

2 Likes

It is interesting for what could come for a higher end gpu at a low price, but for now they have failed to capture my imagination so 1080 here I come

I guess this is just not aimed at you. They are not aiming at high performance. Raja said it himself - We want affordable VR for the masses. Basically they give you 980 for 200$...

2 Likes

Nobody knows anything...
It could be Vega... We just don't know. If Vega really comes october, then it could be Vega in PS4... But it could be Polaris. It could easily be Polaris, seing they sell the thing for 200 and probably making profit.

Agreed, I personally think its a mistake no going with a flagship at launch IMHO. But regardless it is impressive although I will wait for some bench marks as they only did one...

Well, the issue is that their marketing sux ass hard. Otherwise this is really nice selling point - Compared to 380 it's like 2 times the performance for the same price and like 40% lower power consumption...

1 Like

Talking to you seems increasingly like a waste of time.

Sorry... I missed that...

i myself am excited to see this card in action with the discard engine and how it handles crysis 2 specifically. I might get one to play around with. Its still ok card if price is right.

You mean Primitive Discard Accelerator? Basically supports additional DX12 features, no?

yeah, primitive discard accelerator. Its hardware based, according to what they were telling its not related to API.

This was basically the feature that Maxwell supported and made everyone else think Maxwell had better DX12 support over the Hawaii/Grenada card and look how the benchmarks turned out. LOL

no its not dx12_1

the 12_1 were
Tiled Resources
Conservative Rasterization

not a single thing about discard engine. (12_1 was solely made for nvidia to support some of their dx11 optimization features)

discard engine is hard to describe, but it is supposed to optimize things on the fly when its not needed to render some object in such a high detail, or if its causing massive performance hits.

Like this slab from crysis 2

you don't need such a high tessellation on it, but it was done regardless. Discard accelerator is supposed to figure it out that its not needed to tessellate so much there, so it reduces tessellation count on that object.

But primitive discard accelerator also allows them to use those aforementioned features in DX12.1. It's just them using different branding features like FreeSync (G-sync), VSR (DSR), PlayTV (Shadow Play).

This is the same tactic they used for the launch of the 6000 series, launching the 6870 and 6850 first. Those cards sold like wildfire because they competed directly with the previous generation at near half the price, a price point that was easier to buy into for the performance. Obviously for the buyers looking to spend as much as they possibly can on the most expensive hardware at launch, that isn't appealing. However for those looking to stay within a reasonable budget these cards are going to make a very compelling pitch.

resource conservative rasterization is deeper level (nicer) compression of textures. Not objects.

This feature is available on 12_0 level 3, new witcher 3 patch is actually using same technology but in dx11.

and performance boost is real from it, if game is using it. (at 1440p i got 550-600% improvement in fps on fury-x)