Rx 480 is here

I have the R9-380 OC nitro and will likely pick up a 480 due to the +2.0 more TFlops and 8Gig VRam over my current card

So this could potentially combat Gameworks that use a lot tessellation. Is this going to be a driver level feature that can be turned on like Tessellation Mode in AMD Optimized (which I always have on)? Or does it have to be implemented by the developer of the game?

i have no clue, thats why i wanna grab 480 to play around with it. See it in action. Thats the main selling point of polaris for me. (its hardware based, and may be native to driver - thus non-api relevant) but lack of control might be bad.
We'll see when its out. They are supposed to give more details as we go near release date 29th June

1 Like

You should wait for AIB at least, I want to know how far this thing OCs.

1 Like

The PCB for the 480 is Nano length. Should use less power than the Nano as well. Interested in the AIB short cards to see how they perform. Definitely interesting.

its bigger, they are using gddr5

I'm sad... I want my ridiculous ludicrously ginormous 31cm/12" cards... I love how my current Toxic card basically divides my case down the middle.

this is card for you

1 Like

Agreed. Seems like both Nvidia and AMD are going anemic with reference power delivery this generation. Would have liked to see an 8pin/2X6pin

i see it this way

you only ate 15 burgers and grapes today (yesterday it was 17 burgers)? well you are going anemic.

I highly doubt that's the case. We will see once some 3rd party testing gets done on it

don't mind me, i'm just reflecting how we jumped from 15W graphics cards to 200+W

2 Likes

Not by much...

This is a 3d model, but you can see in the video as well...

I like my Toxic 270X

http://www.techpowerup.com/223044/feast-your-eyes-on-these-official-amd-radeon-rx-480-renders
uses a 5+2 phase VRM... 150W power... 6pin is OK...

Yeah, it's okay. Nothing more.

just cut the 2nd fan in half thats the size of it.

nano is size of the first fan.

by the way, the reason why they haven't shown any game running 480 is because they broke it with linus.

Raja said they don't have drivers for it... Which is sad... Something more than "it beats 1080 crossfire" and the pcb would have been nice... Still... I am waiting patiently. Nvidia have nothing in this price range for me anyway.

1 Like

don't worry bout the size, sapphire or asus gonna make you your brick

1 Like

That's actually a marketing strategy by AMD, have them drop the card and later claim Durability as a feature. They'll probably brand it as AMDurability. But in all seriousness, I fucking cringe when he did that.

2 Likes

Well it was him or linus, one way or another it would be dropped. At least now it wont be "repaired" with zip ties. Hell he might even throw in some hot glue, maybe even make some additional ventilation with an angle grinder or something if they let him loose.

well when linus releases a review and bashes it we can tell him he had broken card. (even there's video showing it)