[Resolved] White noise when not playing audio

Hello,
I having this weird issue in Fedora 31 (and 30) where my headphones get a hissing sound when there is no audio playing. I am using an external DAC connected using SPDIF.
If I unplug the DAC cable, the same hissing sound appears, which seems to indicate that the DAC isn’t receiving a signal. However, I never have this issue in Windows.
Also, if I open pavucontrol, the hissing also stops, which is a temporary but annoying workaround.
Is there a way to fix this? Is this some sort of power management thing?
Thanks for any help.

EDIT: doing sudo echo 0 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save fixed the issue!

2 Likes

this is usually due to pulseaudio module that suspends audio playback to save power
to check further use:
pactl unload-module module-suspend-on-idle
and should be able to close pavucontrol without problem returning

permanent fix requires edit to /etc/pulse/default.pa
add ‘#’ to comment out line to load module
#load-module module-suspend-on-idle

1 Like

And there I was thinking I was the only one with that issue.

Funny enough, even when playing a video on mute the noise stops. It’s inaudible on my headphones, but annoying on the 10$ speakers.

Definitely going to try that later.

1 Like

it is only time i have heard of constant hissing noise mentioned
but some users had issues with USB interfaces making horrible noises when powering up
mention of leaving pavucontrol open was the clue that it was likely suspend-on-idle module - only module that affects power

never seen the change to snd_intel_hda parameter used before. noted as another option if pulseuadio solution ever fails

1 Like

Can confirm the fix works for me (onboard sound on the X470 Gaming 7).
Thanks for that!

Really wonder how that works on an electronics level though… as I mentioned even when playing videos on mute silenced it…