The small linux problem thread

Something that has bothered me for a while but never asked…

When nothing on my PC is playing audio, I am hearing an audible hum/white noise from my speakers. It takes about 30s to kick in after audio stops.
This was previously discussed and fixed here:

However, we’re in 2026 and pulseaudio isn’t really around anymore so the fix there doesn’t work anymore either.

According to this Reddit post and the WirePlumber documentation this should do it:

❯ cat 50-disable-suspend.conf 
monitor.alsa.rules = [
  {
    matches = [
      # This matches the value of the 'node.name' property of the node.
      {
        node.name = "~alsa_output.*"
      }
    ]
    actions = {
      # Apply all the desired node specific settings here.
      update-props = {
        session.suspend-timeout-seconds = 0
      }
    }
  }
]

But after wireplumber restart and even a reboot, I’m still hearing the hum.

I don’t know what the ~ in the node.name is for, but I tried it with and without it. Any ideas? :confused: