Recommend me some books

Nothing specific, just want to know if anyone has read recently or come across any books new or old that they think is a must need to read?

The Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin is pretty good. On the more technical side, I read Artificial Intelligence: A Guide for Thinking Humans by Melanie Mitchell recently which was pretty good as well.

1 Like

Fantasy edu history ?

The Black Echo by Michael Connelly

Deep Work by Cal Newport

The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore

Dune by Frank Herbert

Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell

All About Asset Allocation by Richard Ferri

Something for everyone.

2 Likes

I will just say Terry Pratchett… I enjoy the discworld series a lot.

4 Likes

Ringworld series by Larry Niven

I’m reading Mark Manson’s The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck. It’s worth reading, honestly. I can’t stop re-thinking and re-evaluating my life. It’s just great!

If you are still not sick of things going wrong in a post-Covid world, Michael Crichton’s Prey was a novel that I could not literally put down and I was reading it non-stop because I found it really fascinating.

Basically its nanotech gone wrong.

Classic literature, Tolstoy is one of my favorites, “War and Peace” and “Anna Karenina” are both good.

For non-fiction I really enjoy authors Steven Pinker and Jared Diamond with books such as “How the mind works” and “Guns, Germs, and Steel.” Their other books are good too.

I would throw “All quiet on the Western Front” by Erich Maria Remarque in the ring. A genre defining work.

Never read his stuff until after he passed. But I recently learned he was part of the Glorious PC Master Race.

“Why do you have six monitors?” A stupid journalist asked.

“Because I don’t have room for eight.” Pratchett said, his maniacal laughter echoing the halls of his home, still, to this day.

One of the GOATs.

11 Likes

Amok

by

George Fox

um…LOTR
Just so its been said!

1 Like

Randall Munroe What if? is a very nice read.

I very much enjoyed Bernhard Hennen’s “Elfen”-series (and the books before and after it). No clue how good the translation is.

1 Like

Brian Lumley - Psychomech and Necroscope series are both amazing.
Dan Simmons - Hyperion (all his other stuff is good as well)
Frank M Robinson - The Dark Beyond The Stars

Non Fiction - The Secret Life Of Houdini by William Kalush

Any interest in photo books? Gregory Heisler - 50 Portraits.

Yahtzee Crowsaw - “Will Save the Galaxy for Food.” - Out of work Star Pilot. Hijinks insue.
“MogWorld” - Undead minion goes on adventure.
“Differently Morphous”. - Magic police try to keep things PC.

Daniel O’Brien - “How to Fight Presidents” - You are a time traveler who has offended every US president. Interesting facts to help you in a fist fight with them.

Couple of classics:
“Nineteen Eighty-Four” (1984) by George Orwell
“Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury
“The Art of War” - Sun Tzu
“Analects of Confucius” Pick your poison… Check your local antiquarian :smiley: (Can’t direct you to the english translation - I have only read the Finnish translation which I happened to find in my bro’s bookshelf)

It has to be said:
“A Song of Ice and Fire” series by George R. R. Martin (5-books so far… been waiting for the new book a couple years now hehe… Some have waited longer :sweat_smile:)

Tolkien’s books:
“Lord of the Rings” by J.R.R. Tolkien (Already mentioned. It’s good!)
“The Hobbit” by J.R.R. Tolkien
“The Silmarillion” by J.R.R. Tolkien
“Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth” by J.R.R. Tolkien (If you happen to fall in to the deep end :smiley:)

Ninjaedit:
“Musashi” by Eiji Yoshikawa

Ah.Why ? Are you just condensing ?