Project : I AM IRON MAN

I'm actually not sure if it's an angle grinder, but here's a picture of it.

The pics are just to show off the anodizing, although i'm not sure if i'm doing anything more with the window panel. There's quite a bit of work coming on the other panels, as I'm dropping them off at the laser cutters today. I'm also hopefully finishing the reservoir mounts today which will flesh out some more of the interior. I'll post pics when it's done

1 Like

So I don't have a ton of progress to show today. My paint on a new part didn't come out, so I have to wait for it to cure before I can sand it down and repaint. I got to see how the test piece turned out from the engraving shop, and washed my car. So I'll share those to tide anyone who's gotten used to regular updates from me...

Test on the scrap piece of the case

Clean and happy car.

(If posting the car is against the rules just let me know and I'll edit it out.)

2 Likes

eyy, think you'll fit your mobo there? seems you'll need to unscrew something.

Hard tubes are pretty easy to take out when the loop is empty. So yes, I'll have to take some parts out to put the board and GPU in, but it's easier to measure and build ahead of time than it is to try to do a lot of the work with the board in place.

Man this project is looking great. Awesome updates. The decals and paint look awesome. I love what you did with the floor compartment cover.

So I finished the reservoir panel, I'm not 100% happy with the paint on the top after sanding off a coat that I resprayed too soon, but since it's behind the res You can barely see it, and the part with the mask looks good.

I got a call from my friends that the laser cutting was finished. Deron (the shop owner) posed with the work he did for me.

Took it home and added gold to the panel.

Paint is dry to the touch, which is exactly where I want it for this step. If the paint cures it's much harder to weed out the masking agent.

Most of the big chunks removed...

all of the big bits removed, time to start the detail work where the masking leaked or the laser cut a line that was too fine to pull up.

Close up shot of one of the areas requiring more clean up

This part too.

About 1.5 hours of weeding an cleaning up the image gives me this

And it's installed

I wasn't a huge fan of the Phanteks sticker for headphone jack and Mic, so I had those added as well. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out... Lots of goof off, patience, and about 25 qtips.

5 Likes

That turned out gorgeous!

Looks great. Also, that laser cutting shop is pretty cool . . . they even have Gwar playing in the background :D

Thanks!! I'm super happy with everything on this mod so far... It's coming together better than I could have hoped.

Also Props to TekSyndicate forums for always being the first forum to notice an update and give feedback

The whole shop is awesome guys. I'll be going back to them for future projects for sure.

The replacements with the matching color scheme look really good. It looks like you had the USB SS logo done as well. Small touches like this can really bring together a custom/modded build.

You're correct. I figured it was worth throwing on there as long as I was having them laser cut everything else.

Holy shit! This looks freaking awesome. The Iron man side panel really ties this together, as well as the headphone and mic. The paint is so detailed though!
Props to you for this build! I have enjoyed every moment of it :)

Well done. Gorgeous build.

Some of the hardware started arriving! My custom cables and my motherboard are here! I decided to go X99 instead of C170 since I'm going to be doing some streaming on this computer going forward.

That being said lets look at the Part that the CNC guys finished up for me today.

After a little razor work we get the rest of the reactor for painting.

Painted up, just waiting on the EL panels to get here from china.

The motherboard for this project. Quad Channel DDR4, M.2 slot, and a ton of IO... Sadly the USB 3.0 header isn't oriented the best direction, so that's gonna be a little messy in an otherwise clean build.

Motherboard in it's new home.

Close up of the bottom

Behind the panel.

I have more parts on the way including cable combs. Everything for this build has been purchased, it's just elbow grease and assembly from now on.

2 Likes

Incredible, hats off to you sir!

Cant wait to see the end product!

I like it if someone puts that amount of money and time into one project. I like that you took both and put it to use in something you really wanted :)

I'm Pumped for the last panel to come back from the CNC shop, not to mention the UPS man is going to be delivering a Bunch of hardware in the next couple days... I'm drooling a little bit.

Is the EL panels going to light up blue?
Even though there are so many different shades of red you got it down pretty good!
I would tip my hat if I had one :)