Post your Neoflex (Neofetch) here

Yeah - I’m kind of surprised how well it IS working! Compiling a fairly large C++ codebase (scummvm) takes about a minute longer in linux than on mac, Though there may be differences between clang and gcc there too.

That said, it’s a bit of a toy at the moment. I still have my MacOS partition for work stuff or if I want to take advantage of the crazy battery-life.

1 Like

The only Linux system I’ve got where I bothered to install and alter the GUI in any way. Some day I’ll blow it away and install Rocky 9.x

2 Likes

Upgrade to centos 8, then use the migration script.

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rocky-linux/rocky-tools/main/migrate2rocky/migrate2rocky.sh
chmod +x migrate2rocky.sh
sudo ./migrate2rocky.sh -r
1 Like

Interesting. With my flow in Linux it will probably fail catastrophically, but it’s worth a try first.

1 Like

Unless you have a really custom kernel, a lot of packages built locally using make, or custom repos where you maintain your own software, it probably will be fine. Of course, always have a backup.

I don’t remember how the upgrading went, but it was something like: upgrade to latest centos 7, add the centos 8 repo, install the kernel, do a dnf update and upgrade, reboot and pray, then you’ll be greeted by a centos 8 installation, which you can migrate to rocky from.

1 Like

Here’s mine. Pretty old stuff but it works.

2 Likes

here we goi

1 Like

3 Likes

GT730

Interesting choice

4 Likes

When running Linux for a variety of day-to-day tasks, a powerful GPU is often a waste of silicon.

I only put a beefy GPU in the machine I play games on.

Everything else gets integrated graphics.

5 Likes

It’s good. You said often because there are use cases for a Beefy GPU. I definitely say the most people don’t need it though

Both our statements are gonna piss the Linux gaming meme folk off though

3 Likes

Oh, absolutely.

I don’t do ML or any of the GPU use case things on a local machine, so I have no need for it.

2 Likes

Yeah you just rent from Amazon

I was going to say there’s another use case but those guys are kind of a specialty, especially when you start getting into the video editing and animation and creation and stuff like that

You couldn’t pay me enough to get back in the Linux gaming. You’d have to blow my brains out. It’s not worth it. It’s not a reason to buy a GPU. I dual boot for that again lol

I use the Radeon graphics in linux

1 Like

@PhaseLockedLoop Here’s proof, btw.

5 Likes

I was about to get up and go neofetch mine. It won’t show the Nvidia RTX 3070 when I use it in integrated only mode (bios switch).

Gives me an 8 hour battery life. No complaints.
When I boot in windows I hit the switch and bingo I can game without Linux bullshittery and drama. Over it entirely

3 Likes

The second laptop. M1 is pretty good for my use cases TBH.

2 Likes

Some may laugh, but Intel iGPUs have the best drivers on Linux.

5 Likes

I mean, I don’t disagree, but 9900k lol.

Probably I’m just ignorant and don’t know of any single thread high-speed workloads that don’t involve graphics.

1 Like

Thought I would join in.

3 Likes

Lol, just had the same thought.

3 Likes