Post your Neoflex (Neofetch) here

Proxmox ASCII art is one of my favorites in neofetch. Just looks good. And the machine is probably a great homeserver. Really hitting the sweet spot in cores and memory for most stuff.

2 Likes

I really like it. Works really nice.

1 Like

6 Likes

sure, why not

The resolution is the external monitor.
the built in one is 3K

3 Likes

Made a bit of a change. Migrated my main desktop to openSUSE Tumbleweed from Kubuntu \o/

5 Likes

I updated mine a bit

5 Likes

Exactly what I may be doing soon. I’ve always been a KDE guy. And playing with Tumbleweed in a VM certainly puts in into the top 3 for next daily driver. I really like the installer, Yast and the nice BTRFS tools. Underrated distro.

3 Likes

Agreed on btrfs and underrated distro, but yast is such a pain to deal with that I just use zypper, which is good enough. But I also had trouble setting up wicked in a VM and I couldn’t get networking to work. On a bare basic KVM. Neither e1000 nor virtIO worked. I suppose it was my fault somehow, I didn’t spend too much time debugging, but it was annoying.

Still, if I wasn’t using Void and Fedora didn’t exist or was terrible, probably Tumbleweed would have been my next choice, before jumping straight to source-based distro like Gentoo or NixOS.

1 Like

Newbie here, just made an account.

Left to right: Workstation, Proxmox Server, RPi

7 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay.

Quite the collection you got. What are you using the Pi for?

2 Likes

I use both for different things. If I just want to update or install the GIMP or something I’ll use zypper. GUI software installers like YaST are nice when I don’t know what software options are available and I want to browse through some examples, or maybe if I don’t remember what the package name for something actually is. When my dad asked me for Koch Morse software on Linux there’s no way I’m going to just be able to use zypper there. I wouldn’t even know what to look for. I could type “Koch” into YaST and see what appears though.

I quite like YaST more generally as a single point of administration. It’s kind of convenient to have and old style control panel type thing to play with. I don’t think it adds any functionality I couldn’t get with vim or the terminal, it’s just a convenience that’s there if you want.

2 Likes

I got a new GPU (AMD Radeon 6600XT), and with it a newly installed OS. I was using an Ubuntu derivative on my gaming machine, but with my GPU upgrade I found that Arch Linux runs so much better than Ubuntu does with AMD Graphics. This thing is :fire:.

According to UserBenchmark: AMD RX 6600-XT vs Nvidia GTX 1080, my GTX 1080 is a slightly better card; however, I have a completely different experience. Perhaps we need more gaming benchmarks on the Linux side of things @wendell. On Linux, this card absolutely crushes my old GTX 1080, and dealing with drivers on this thing is :kissing_heart:. I am never going back to Nvidia.

PS: If everything goes to plan, I am hopefully going to build an entirely new rig after the new generation AMD products are released. I intend to go full red, and my current PC will be a media PC for my living room TV. American Truck Simulator will look good on a 55" screen…

4 Likes

But you’re missing out on the DKMS and the fantastic and modern nvidia-settings GUI.

Ubuntu and Gnome are quite the memory hogs. 16GB is probably fine, but having something light-weight without 1.5-2GB used just for logging in is a nice thing indeed.

Oh and I’d like a link to this magnificent piece of wallpaper you got there :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love more Linux gaming benchmarks. The guy at phoronix does his best but he’s not equipped like the outlets who do Windows benchmarks. I had hoped that the steam deck world prompt people like digital foundry to do more Linux testing but Alex seems vociferously against it from what he’s said in response to being asked about it. Even things like benchmarking proton on not mobile hardware would be an interesting thing to have formally tested.

2 Likes

And they aren’t equipped with Linux know-how. I see Mac benchmarks from time to time and some very small channels comparing Linux kernels and game performance. The 1% isn’t worth the trouble apparently. Good thing we have Wendell who’s native to anything and the 5800X3D video was probably the best innovative benchmarking approach I’ve seen while everyone else was comparing CS:GO with 630 vs. 650 FPS. Mike Larabel (Phoronix) also considers Gaming to be only one of many performance characteristics, rather than focusing on it.

And the usual tech youtuber rather benchmarks macs before touching Linux. This won’t change any time soon. But there are some small channels around that do some stuff here and there.

3 Likes

Possibly, but every Steam Deck performance video has people asking for it, and DF Weekly regularly has people asking questions about more general Linux coverage. Even if the will isn’t there, the demand clearly is. Even among Windows users who are interested in the Steam Deck from a technical perspective people are demonstrating curiosity – especially when the way Proton handles shader compilation is seen clearing up massive performance problems in games like Elden Ring.

And to be fair, he’s not wrong to. It is just one of many things to focus on. If you look at the amount of work Gamers Nexus, for example, put into it, it would take over the entire site to put in the work we would like. It’s a whole extra full time job. It would really take one of the outlets that has a whole team of people for testing to be able to handle the workload.

1 Like

It is quite the setup. The Proxmox Server running the minimal Ubuntu VM has my old Sabertooth X79 Motherboard in it from 2012. I think there are close to 25 Docker containers running on it currently.

I use the RPi headlessly for PiHole ad blocking along with torrenting and the occasional Python project.

2 Likes

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I forgot about it and randomly remembered you wanted this as I was about to play Factorio. Such a random thing to remember almost a month later.

7 Likes

After backing up my work stuff, I finally got to fooling around with Asahi Linux on my m2 air!

Installation was straight forward (I chose the minimal Arch install), but didn’t realize what packages were included… so wifi was non-existant until I found that iwd and networkd were there. Once that was configured, I installed wayland/sway, moved over my dotfiles and have a usable system!

I still need to test audio (I “hear” the headphone jack works) and maybe tweak the scaling / fonts a bit. Battery life is definitely worse, but that just means it can only get better!

5 Likes

I’m surprised Linux works as much as it does for you. I haven’t really followed the progress on getting it to run on M2, but seems like it’s looking really good already. And as you mentioned…probably will improve further.

1 Like