Post Your Classic or Nostalgic Games

Post games that you find to be classics or just games that just get you all nostalgic

One game per post please, to keep it tidy, tell us why it is a classic or your nostalgic memories

Bonus points for video, pictures and "where to buy" link

I'll start

Nanosaur

My dad had iMac and this game I think came with it...... I was obsessed as a kid, was such a fun game (didn't hurt I was really into dinosaurs as a kidI think). Didn't know the story tell years later just played the game getting eggs and that was enough. Not to mention that sound track! Not much love for this game now it seems, hard to find anyone talking about or making videos about it.

I would call it a classic... but maybe its just my nostalgia.

5 Likes

No competition...
Freelancer.

There is no digital store, that allows me to purchase that game.
It's one of the first games I have played on my own PC... We are talking back 2007 or so.
It is a simple game. One I look at and get a smile on my face... Unlike many dry space sims, that have nothing in them.
There is a story, there is a structure, there is everything.

6 Likes

obligatory
Roller Coaster Tycoon!

What's your life worth if you've never played this game?! not veryy much..

13 Likes

Tomba! and Tomba! 2 The Evil Swine Return.

Yes I know you said 1 game per post... but I can't separate these two. They both are amazingly fun games.

Cover art

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomba!

These babies are my childhood. They are wonderful platformers that include action, adventure, RPG elements, and ample amounts of zany fun. I highly recommend getting these set-up in a PS1 emulator as it's going to be a bit tough to obtain the actual discs. They didn't sell too well despite critically good reviews. The discs on the market are extremely pricy (last I checked they were about $80 apiece).

3 Likes

For me that would be Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. It was my first game on the PS2.

This was Naughty Dog's jump from the PS1 with Crash Bandicoot to the PS2. They stayed true to their roots (until they decided to abandon the series in favor of Unfarted: Drake's Congestion -_-).
The spin move Jak can attack with is an hommage to Crash Bandicoot.

Classic 3D Jump n Run with a reticent protagonist and his chatty best friend who got turned into an Ottsel (half otter, half weasel).

The special part of the gameplay is Eco, a form of energy that depending on the color gives you different powers for a limited time: green heals you, blue makes you faster and attracts collectable objects, yellow lets you shoot energy and red makes your punches and kicks stronger.

3 Likes

On an old computer running Norton Commander, I used to have a lot of fun playing Jazz Jackrabbit

6 Likes

This was the first game I played on PC, I think we played it on some random DOS version and I don't remember what the game was called other than "Formula1". And we didn't play it in colour because we didn't have the gpu for it, nor did we have a monitor to support colour so we played it in black and green I think. The sound was played through the Speaker on the motherboard as anything else did back then.

5 Likes

Star Wars Battlefront 2.

For me, my parents treated the game ratings like law. So when I was in my pre-teen years I was always stuck playing E games. Which sucked because at school everyone would talk about T games and such.

They also treated movie ratings the same way. So I was unable to see the movie (episode 3), even tho I asked liked 50 times.

Anyway, during the x-mas season of 2005 they saw the game in a GameStop catalogue. Come Christmas day, I open up a present that says "Open Me First". And in side was SWBII.

Man. I was so stoked to be able to have that game in my hands and to be able to play that game. I logged over thousands of hours on that game. The AI sucked and the campaign was easy. But to this day I love this game.

7 Likes

I'll skip the Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, Doom, etc's. Those are givens were someone my age I suppose.

Jetpack for DOS

I think this was a $5 purchase from K-Mart. Worth every penny.

Duke Nukem for DOS

3 Likes

Robotech was my favourite series of all time, even more than Gundam growing up

This game is seriously to this day one of the hardest games I have ever played in my life.

Robotech: Battlecry https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006DY3F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_muzZybVS98PBY

3 Likes

Black and White

Don't know how I got this game..... But man was I obsessed with it. Was so amazing at the time, and still is fun to play to this day! Glorified advanced Tamagotchi, which to be honest was just fine with me

4 Likes

Fable / Fable: The Lost Chapters

The name "Peter Molyneux" has come to be associated with hype and disappointment. One might even say dishonetsy. And thus, heavily associated with the Fable series, tainted their reputation.
Nonetheless, the first Fable game he developed with the now closed Lionhead Studio/Big Blue Box was one of its kind.
A 3rd person action-adventure with RPG elements and a moral system that unfortunately didn't live up to Molyneux's vision.

As a young boy living in a small village by the name of Oakvale you head out with the quest of finding a birthday present for your little sister. Although, the peace of the fairy tale-like village doesn't last: bandits kill your father and set everything on fire.

Fable is easily one of my favorite video game series. Nevermind the nonsense of hype and sad excuses Molyneux spouted. The games are far from perfect, they all have their flaws and shortcomings, even wasted potential. But still, the charming fairy tale-like atmosphere, the amazing voice actors in the 2nd and 3rd game (John Cleese, Sir Ben Kingsley, Simon Pegg, to name a few), they all make up for the disappointing stuff.

As for the moral system: as simple as it is (the choices are rare and obvious), no matter how often I've played it I could never bring myself to become evil (well, except to get one special weapon, but then instantly do everything to become good again).

I'm absolutely biased. I can't compare it to other Action-Adventure/RPGs. Maybe some of you too have games that can easily be labeled as this genre or that genre, compared to other games that are similar to them. And still you'd think "no. this one is different cause it's special to me". That's how I feel about Fable.

For those of you who don't want to play the game on the original XBox or the aged PC version, there's Fable Anniversary Edition. A graphical overhaul - and an amazing one most of the time - , but still far from perfect (some even say it's a schlimmbesserung). Wait for a sale on Steam. I'm a fan of the series (and a cheapskate), but I don't think it's worth 32€.

3 Likes

My most favourite classic games, are Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines.

And G-Police, along with it's sequel, G-Police Weapons Of Justice.

Also, Resident Evil 2 is an old favourite.

3 Likes

I loved the never ending action in this. I loved everything - the maps, the different game types, the guns, the announcer, bashing enemies into a pulp with the different vehicles, the taunts, and of course the gift that was Facing Worlds.

Such a simple map provided hours of entertainment and fun.

11 Likes

I played hour and hours of River Raid on my 2600

Later in college I briefly got hooked on Stonekeep

Andy Sanitarium

1 Like

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

Another one of my favorite game series. I still remember getting the first game of the series for the PS2 many, many years ago for christmas.

Sucker Punch - the studio behind (most of) the Sony-exclusive Sly games - lets you control Sly Cooper a raccoon and master among thieves. With the help of his gang (Bentley the tech-savvy turtle and Murray the hippo for heavy and mechanical stuff) he as hunting down the group of villains who stole a precious family memorabilia and devided it among them: the Thievius Raccoonus.

On your journey you sneak and jump your way through linear sub-levels of 5 unique and big areas until you face off each areas villain. From the rainy islands of Wales, to the gambling paradise in Utah, to the swamps of New Orleans and the snowy mountains of China - wonderfully designed levels on your way to the last boss.
Oh, and if that wasn't enough the gang is also constantly on the run from inspector Carmelita Fox, Interpol.

Last time I played it, though, it was a bit of a letdown. Maybe my memories were clouded with nostalgia, maybe it just didn't age well (the PS3/Vita HD Collection is hard to get here and can be expensive). Maybe I'm just rusty.
Clonky controls and the pain that once was the standard 4:3 ratio combined with an outdated resolution.....it was kind of a turn-off to be honest.
But those who can get a hold of the PS3/Vita HD Collection or ignore the "old-timey" graphics will get rewarded with one of the best platforming games you can play on a Sony console.

4 Likes

Oh god, the jungle d&b track for that map was orgasmic.

I was going to talk about a couple of well known games, but better use this chance to mention something along these (quoted) lines, which I doubt would get mentioned by anybody else:

The Chaos Engine

It was one of the first (probably the first) games I've played that gave me control of my characters abilities and progression. I don't know how old I was, but I didn't even know what steampunk was, and the game was really difficult for me at the time. I just knew it was cool, the music gave it a kind of industrial feel, the color palette and style was grim and unique. Probably monotone by today's standards, but I was mesmerized by it. Definitely one of the most nostalgia-inducing games for me, and a classic.

2 Likes

Ratchet & Clank

Yes, another Sony-exclusive platforming game-series. But this should conclude the "big three" of platformer series on the PS2.

Ratchet, a furry mechanic, and Clank, a small robot who escaped from a warbot factory, travel from planet to planet to find a way of stopping the corrupt Drek - you know, the typical corrupt businessalien who destroys planets for his own goals.

What makes Ratchet & Clank different than other platformers is a good amount of action, a bunch of weapons and gadgets, a good portion of humor and an amazingly atmospheric soundtrack.

Just like with the Jak & Daxter and Sly series, Sony released an HD collection of the first three Ratchet & Clank games on the PS3 (but this one's also hard to get for a decent price).

3 Likes

Battlefield 1942

Still one of the best large combat FPS games ever made, and the expansions where really well done in my opinion, this game out of all others really brought me into PC gaming.

Not only were the battles the biggest and the best at the time, but tools that came with the game made it so easy most of my game time was in the level editor! Oh and the mods, my gosh the mods are still some of the best. Man the glory days of mods, too bad they have slowly be pushed aside in most games

Mod Spot Light

Desert Combat

Halo

Parallel Worlds

Starwars

Gundam

Warhammer 40K

Expansion Trailers

3 Likes

Age of Empires 2

This game was another game that really pulled me from console gaming to pc. Not only was this game one of the best and first RTS games I played, and the beginning of an addition lasting to this day, it had real history in it! While real phrases in real languages! Learning while having fun is possible lol

The editor also was stupid simple, but allowed for some great scripted options to make brand new campaigns.

There is a HD remake here

List of some fan made maps/mods for the Original AOE 2

9 Likes