Post your battle stations!

That is the best hackingtosh build i have ever seen. +1 for not using windows 10
-1 for using Whatsapp.

3 Likes

yes i am ^^ dual boot actually (windows). have to for gaming sometimes. iā€™m not an apple fanboy for any mean. there products are way to expansive and are really hardware limited. but the OS is nice, way closer to unix. it isnā€™t that hard to pull of actually, you should give it a try.

2 Likes

the sad part is that i agree with you on the Whatsapp part. I wish more of my friends would use telegramā€¦ but for now its an necessary evilā€¦

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32UD60-B-UHD-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B079H5Z4S8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530209086&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+32ud59-b+32-inch+4k+uhd&dpID=51%2BxguKUAqL&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch

LG 32UD59-B

really nice thingy, really happy with it.

1 Like

I hear Telegram is in trouble. They being blocked in russia and Apple forbid them from updating their iOS application.

telegram is a bit of a rebel. but i think there right. Rusia wanted al the user info, telegram sad no. now is rusia mad.

the program is really nicely designed, works great.
end to end encryption.

the ony downside i can find is that your chats are stored on the server.

1 Like

I used to run an OSX VM in a passthrough setup. I really donā€™t like the OSX interface, so I donā€™t have much use for it. Feels like something out of the early 00ā€™s. (and really, it is)

If it werenā€™t so clunky, outdated and whatnot, Iā€™d absolutely use it.

The only thing I find valuable is either iMovie or the desktop trackpad, which is absolutely wonderful. I just canā€™t justify spending $150 on a fucking trackpad. (hey other companies, make a decent trackpad)

2 Likes

Not by default, so Iā€™ll pass on it. You have to setup a ā€œsecure chatā€ or whatever in order for it to be encrypted.

2 Likes

Its all a matter of personal opinion I suppose.
Only thing a can say is that you can customize it.

in my opinion is windows 10 really ugly, all those squares, way to many settings in places where no one will find it.

there are a lot of Linux flavors i like, but office and adobe isnā€™t supported. (sad thing i know)

yeah, I agree with you there. I only use Windows 10 when I absolutely have to.

I can get all my productivity things (office type stuff, video and photo editing) done in Linux, with comparable performance to adobeā€™s shitty products. If youā€™re interested in my workflow, I can go more in depth.

I pretty much only use Windows for games.

yes please

First thingā€™s first:

Ryzen 1700, GTX 1070, 32GB 3200.

Iā€™m using KDE as my desktop environment, since Iā€™ve been frustrated with the Gnome stability for a while now. First endeavour with KDE and Iā€™ve got to say, itā€™s really nice.

Iā€™m using DaVinci resolve on Fedora for my composition/grading/mixing work, the V15 beta has full support in Linux without needing any specialized hardware, although an intensity card is nice to have. I just run exports over night since they do take a while. Itā€™s free to use with some limitations, but I forget since I bought it a while back. The important thing is that you have a GPU that supports CUDA or OpenCL, and you have the proper GPU drivers installed for it. Resolve requires gpu acceleration. The learning curve is kinda high, but shouldnā€™t be too high for someone experienced with Premiere or AE.

For Photo editing, I use DarkTable. If Iā€™m honest, itā€™s definitely not as snappy as photoshop or lightroom, but it gets the job done and has feature parity.

As far as storage goes, I have a couple NFS mounts on my system. They sync up to a fileserver Iā€™m running in my garage. It holds archives and the ingestion folders. I copy working content to my local system (1.5TB of SSD on Btrfs) to get the work done, then when Iā€™m finished, I just export the project into my archives mount. I have a script that runs on my fileserver that automatically ingests (copies and transcodes) content into the appropriate folders when I plug in an SD card or SSD.

5 Likes

I like your plants. It makes your desk feel more like home instead of an office.

1 Like

2 Likes

Iā€™m getting really pissed because I donā€™t have much desk space and no ability to make more.

Time to start building all SFF eh?

2 Likes

Specā€™s? And what standing table is that?

no, time to move

11 Likes

LG 43"? What did you go with for the backlight?

1 Like