Post your battle stations!

Very nice! How many PCs/VMs are we looking at? Mind sharing specs for the PC(s)?

Sure man! In that picture all that is running off my battlestation. I think at the time it was an i7 4790k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM, Debian Stretch. 3 1080p monitors and 1 1440 144hz monitor.

Iā€™ve since upgraded to the 1080Ti and built a second workstation with a 1800X Ryzen. Right now, the ā€œbetterā€ of the 1080p monitors and the 1440p monitor are connected to my Intel box and the other two 1080p monitors are connected to the Ryzen box.

Ryzen box is 32GB of RAM, 1800X, and the GTX 970.

I use the Intel rig for gaming, recording, and ā€œworkā€ related development. The Ryzen box is for Unix R&D, hacking, testing, and other things where memory gets out of control lol.

Off screen (currently and in that picture), I have a Dell T410 with KVM setup. I have a few VMs for development and networking related tasks. Itā€™s almost fully automated, I just tweak a script and run it and in 2 minutes I have a fresh VM I can ssh into. I pull another script and the kernel and OS is full up to date and rebootedā€™d.

You can read more about how I set that up here: https://admindev.tech/2018/01/23/the-lab-part-2-kvm-setup/

VMs:

Laravel/PHP stack test (my portfolio)
Laravel/PHP stack prod

MEN stack test (my podcast site)
MEN stack prod

Django site (Mostly for learning, Iā€™ve since moved on though lol)

Two MongoDB Servers for testing and seeding locally.

MS SQL Server VM

MySQL/MariaDB VM

DHCP server
File server
File server (backup)
Annnndā€¦ I think thatā€™s it.

3 Likes

Finally straightened my stuff out today. I wish I could get rid of the school work and I need to work on cable management, but other than that Iā€™m content for now. Some day I might get a real desk. This table just works so well because itā€™s huge and cheap. Once I have my own family room, the consoles will go in their own area with the TV, Iā€™ll have a bigger TV, and Iā€™m going to have a smaller (normal size) desk and triple monitor setup.

Switched back to my Blackwidow V2 for now. Once my Planck comes in and I get it put together Iā€™ll be using it instead. I miss having the extra desk space, but I donā€™t miss the MX Blues that were in my Pok3r.

7 Likes

I have that same monitor on the left. Itā€™s so awful, but I love it for servers and whatnot.

1 Like

Ya haha, itā€™s definitely only a secondary monitor. I use it for emails, chat windows for Steam, progress bars for big file transfers, etc. Sometimes Iā€™ll use it to play a movie while Iā€™m playing a game, but not actively watching a movie.

When I go to work and all I have is my 13" MacBook Pro, I definitely miss having a second monitor.

Itā€™s somewhat reminiscent of my old setup. This is from after I graduated but was waiting to leave for boot camp, like 2009. I got an upgraded Dell Studio 17 for my graduation present. I played SOOOOOO much CS:S and WoW and had either the first Harry Potter movie or the South Park movie playing in the background constantly. Of course, since itā€™s only a TV with a VCR built in I couldnā€™t use it as a monitor, but it was still nice to have. I only worked like 4 hours a week and my parents didnā€™t ever bug me to do anything because I was about to join the navy. Those were the days.

Old%20Laptop%20Setup

5 Likes

Dude, that CRT would work so well for NES lightgun games cause itā€™s a curved CRT. Retro gamers are seeking those right now.

1 Like

Iā€™d post mine but canā€™t for 3 reasons:

1. Too fucking messy after I dropped a nuke multiple times

2. Nothing much changed (sort of)

3. At work

1 Like

I still reign supreme

6 Likes

No vote for you.

No empty bottles.

1 Like

Junk yes, trash no.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure I still have it laying around somewhere. I know for a fact it was still here when I moved back in.

at least rotate your screen, dang

1 Like

Work in progressā€¦

Though prominently featured, the Macbook Air is not the primary system (itā€™s off actually).

20 Likes

I like your keyboard :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s a workhorse.

I have one of these ordered, but itā€™ll probably come in much later this year.

Oooooh. I like the F62 model.

1 Like

Cat? :ballot_box_with_check:
Aesthetically pleasing? :ballot_box_with_check:
GNU/Linux? :ballot_box_with_check: :ballot_box_with_check:
Cold beverage? :beers:

1337 Master Race? :desktop_computer::computer_mouse::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Show da rig yo

Itā€™s the result of this:

Once itā€™s finished, Iā€™ll post a complete breakdown of everything.

6 Likes