Post Great Comics or Graphic Novels

Title says it all, what comic or graphic novel have you read and find amazing and share worthy.

One per post please, to keep it tidy, with a short blurb about it

Bonus points for pictures

I’ll start

Artesia

Hard to find in print for reasonable prices for the whole set, there are three full volumes as of now, the art and story is amazing and I think really under appreciated. I have all three and am trying to get the loose unfinished fourth volume comics. Would make for a great game I think.

Artesia is an epic fantasy comic book series authored and illustrated by American artist Mark Smylie. Artesia is also the name of the heroine of the cycle. Smylie has described her as a “Pagan Joan of Arc”, to use a popular reference, while noting that the closest historical model is the Irish Queen Medb. Themes in the series include feudal politics, intrigue, and power struggles, complex mythology and world history, and strong female characters.

There is also a pen and paper RPG set in the Artesia universe

1 Like

Locke and key Joe Hill, illustrated by Gabriel Rodríguez is awesome. Cool ideas and a general creepy atmosphere.
Adding to that, the art direction is stunning.

3 Likes

WONTON SOUP: COLLECTION

The art just like in Orc Stain is, while not in color, crazy good. Also there is sex bear.

James Stokoe's crazy space trucker cooking epic returns bigger and badder than ever before! Join Johnny Boyo and Deacon as they cruise the intergalactic superhighways in search of legendary ingredients and amazing adventure.

ORC STAIN

Really great art style and pretty good lore concepts.

Orc Stain is set in a fantasy world plagued by endless war between hordes of orcs. An orcish war chief, The Orctzar, has unified an unusually large army in the south and is pushing north. The protagonist, One-Eye, is an unusually intelligent northern orc gifted with the ability to locate the weak point in any object and use it to crack it open. When the Orctzar receives a prophecy that One-Eye will be the downfall of his empire, he begins to seek him out.

The Metabarons

The first appearance of a Metabaron (chronologically the last of the Metabarons) was May 1981 in the Incal comic book series. This was followed by a series of prequels that concerned this character's origin, presented as the narration of the android Tonto to the android Lothar, of his masters' achievements. The series takes place over the course of several generations, and chronicles the life of each of the five Metabarons. The stories depict a space opera reminiscent of Greek tragedy, and heavily influenced by Frank Herbert's Dune novels.

Metal. If there is one word that can sum up the Metabarons, Metal is that word.

Every Metabaron is mutilated by his father in his youth so that his endurance to pain is tested, and receives a powerful mechanical body part as a replacement for the destroyed limb. In each generation, the son and heir must eventually face his father in a battle to the death. These battles have taken many forms, from hand-to-hand combat to space duels, and the succession is only achieved once the son succeeds in killing his father.

This multigenerational Epic is beautifully realized in full color throughout. If you like Heavy metal, if you like crazy scifi, this is for you. The detail in every panel is astounding and each page could be hung on a wall.

2 Likes

TRANSMETROPOLITAN

Transmetropolitan chronicles the battles of Spider Jerusalem, infamous renegade gonzo journalist of the future, an homage to gonzo journalism founder Hunter S. Thompson. Spider Jerusalem dedicates himself to fighting the corruption and abuse of power of two successive United States presidents; he and his "filthy assistants" strive to keep their world from turning more dystopian than it already is while dealing with the struggles of fame and power, brought about due to the popularity of Spider via his articles.

Funny how this vision of the future is already dead as the day of the investigative journalist has been dead for about 2 years now. While I don't agree with some of the views pushed by this comic, and I find Spider to be immature and a brat, he is an eccentric with a passion on what he sees as the truth that is endearing. Have only read volume 1 "back on the street" but would recommend it wholeheartedly.

3 Likes

BUCKAROO BANZAI: RETURN OF THE SCREW

Along with his Hong Kong Cavaliers, Banzai must battle more than one surprise arch enemy, each with their own motives, but all acting in concert to bring Banzai to his knees! All this sandwiched between a couple of great rock and roll guitar solos, a few surgical procedures, a crazy gun battle on land and air, Buck's one chance for the ultimate revenge, his soul in turmoil, all the chicks digging him, engineering synchronicity, pretty toilets, a human pickle, and a giant sombrero!

From great movie to great comic, Buckaroo is a crazy do it all hero that Tony Stark wishes he could be.

A renaissance man, Bucakaroo Banzai is a top neurosurgeon, particle physicist, race car driver, rock star, adventure hero, and probably the last hope of the human race.

He and his Hong Kong Cavaliers spread their music, charitable good works, and scientific breakthroughs, while stomping out evil throughout the world.

This one is the reason I even picked up comics

Pretty Deadly

Sissy and her guardian, the blind Fox, travel through canyons and frontier towns telling the mythical tale of death-faced Ginny, a vengeance reaper who has a personal score to settle—with Fox. When Sissy finds out, she demands to know the rest of the story of death-faced Ginny, but she gets far more than she bargained for.

it gets a little wonky at the end of the first volume like they thought it was going to end there but realized it was popular enough for a second volume where it picks back up during WWI.

Sheltered

Like a worst case scenario of doomsday preppers kids gone mad, this screams @kewldude007

Wolf Moon

A short series about a Werewolf hunt with an interesting take on the lore.
I'm a sucker new takes on werewolf's, vampires and monsters.

3 Likes

I know it's supposed to be 1 comic/graphic novel per post but these go together.

The Batman comics by Loeb and Sale.

Batman: Haunted Knight

Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman: Dark Victory

Catwoman: When in Rome

3 Likes

Wayward

Old yokai and new yokai battle it out for their future. Heavily steeped in Japanese mythology that tickles my weeb fancies.

2 Likes

The Ballad of Halo Jones

It's an old Alan Moore, 2000AD story which is best summed up by it's tag line. "Where did she go? Out. What did she do? Everything...."

Also have a look at the 2000AD youtube channel, they're currently doing a ABC series, which is great for discovering new books and there's some great videos of some of the artists at work.

1 Like

Y - The Last Man

So....what if every man and every male mammal on earth would suddenly die, like right now? The only exceptions seem to be Yorrick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand.

1 Like

That cover is amazing.

2 Likes

Bomb Queen

Port City is a city of criminals ruled by a villain. You can live there even if you're a "law abiding" citizen, but make sure to stay the hell out of the crime zones.

This one's probably not for kids and those who are offended by the depiction of a harsh world where no one seems to give a shit.

1 Like

hack/slash

Mystery Inc. + horror movie-like villains but instead of finding out it was all just a hoax, the villains are real and are hunt down by Cassie and Vlad.

2 Likes

The last one, with a foreword by Prof. Edward Said, is probably my favorite, besides Satrapi's Persepolis (Satrapi has been a hero of mine for a long time, and she just keeps getting better)!

2 Likes

Yes please.

At bare minimum try and keep it tidy.

The Umbrella Academy

7 kids, all born 1 minute appart, from mothers who didn't show any sign of pregnancy until the moment of birth, all with their unique powers. And all of them adopted by Sir Reginald "The Monocle" Hargreeves.

They're raised to become heroes, to fight catastrophes no matter where they come from, no matter how obscure.

2 Likes

WOLVERINE

The master of mutants joins the master of ninjas in Wolverine's first solo outing - replete with romance, intrigue and mayhem! Our beleaguered berserker's in Japan on a mission of the heart, if he can survive the Hand first!

Movie was garbage, and how good this comic is just puts salt in the wound. This comic is by far some of the best artwork to come out of the old comics, with a story that puts the movie to shame. Most of the frames could be recreated perfectly to a movie and just shows how much of a travesty the movie turned it did.

Now I don't really like the older comics, very corny to me, but this series steers clear from the corny stuff for the most part and is more modern on the whole for that time. IMO it is one of the best wolverine arcs ever, a must read for any fan.