Poll Syndicate

do you play games?

3-4 hours a week.
Non-competitive single player FPS, adventure and racing games, RPG and RTS.

Sniper Elite, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Dirt series, Witcher, Rise of Nations are my most played.

1080p might be all you can realistically push with that 960m then. at least without sacrificing quality settings.

1 Like

As an owner of 32" 1440p I can’t really imagine smaller size with this resolution. So maybe consider larger monitor? Size does matter, you know :wink:

QUESTION: New Diablo 2 character…

• Barbarian
  • Paladin
  • Amazon
  • Necromancer
  • Druid

0 voters

I don’t play sorceress or assassin, so there’s that… The build I will figure out later…

1 Like

ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ

Yes it is about $20 more than your budget but it is IPS, 1440p, up to 155hz has G and FreeSync as well as ELMB. Would recommend. I now have two of them.

2 Likes

Well I started a vengeance paladin… Because I kinda wanted to… To pay respect to the poll I think I will also start a summoning necro.

alright considering I got myself a compact ITX case, I’m curious if anyone has been able to test the differences in thermals with smaller or larger cards in a confined space. Black friday sales are coming and I think something stronger than my 1070 would have lower GPU usage thus lowering temps in my case. which do you think is better, let the votes begin!

• Small GPU (2 fan)
  • Large GPU (3 fan)

0 voters

this should give you an idea of how tight the GPU space is in my case (298mm long card)

1 Like

Lol I use none of those;

I just stream YouTube topic playlists for free on my phone using YouTube vanced (background playback enabled and ads disabled).

These “topic” music videos being released on YouTube en masse are basically high quality audio rips for YouTube Red streamers, except I am forcing all the YouTube Red features using YouTube Vanced. There isn’t one thing I couldn’t find a topic video release of.

Couple this with unlimited data and openvpn, and my YouTube stream doesn’t get throttled down to 480p by my ISP.

Is this against their terms of service? I don’t think so. I consider it a loophole, because you can also do the same thing by just loading m.youtube.com in a mobile browser with adblock integrated (Bromite).

I don’t believe this is even close to piracy either, due to the grey-area nature of this method. I’ve found amazing artists I otherwise would have never come across, just playing music for hours off my phone through YouTube recommended playlists.

And yes I do buy music from artists I wish to support. However the best way to support any artist is to go to their live shows. Only a small fraction of the money goes to the artist themselves when you just buy their music, because you’re almost always going through a record label or middle man who takes a sizeable cut of each sale.

1 Like

For a new installation Production Server:

• CentOS 7
  • CentOS 8

0 voters

It has to be CentOS. With there being no in-place upgrade path, 7 feels like a bad choice. At the same time, i’m not confident 8 is at a “Production” Level yet. A few weeks back, i still had Problems with Repos not being up etc.
So what do i go with? I don’t plan to reinstall that thing soon.

Ok, 50/50. I gave CentOS 8 a try. Turns out Nagios Log doesn’t support CentOS 8 at all. So, back to 7. Guess i’ll just reinstall when CentOS 8 is supported by Nagios.

1 Like

Yeah, centos 7 is the go to for now. 8 isn’t supported by a lot of enterprisey products yet.

1 Like

I get that. It’s just sad that i now have to remember to reinstall that thing in 3 or 4 years, without any option for upgrading. I guess CentOS major releases happen rarely enough to not be a major Problem for most. But the current situation is quite unsatisfactory.

1 Like

Can you not upgrade centos 7 to 8?

I thought you can.

My 2080 is 255 mm

Pretty compact for the horses. Decently silent. Tho ? ITX case might be a different story.

Given I have tempered glass right next to the backplate, it would retain quite a bit of heat, wondering if a smaller gpu would increase an area for air to circulate making it easier to keep the ambient temps lower to help cool the gpu

From my research you “technically can” with a bunch of manual work but it’s not really supported, which makes it a no go for a internal production server

1 Like

Ah, ok.

Fedora just has dnf release-upgrade or something like that. Figured it’d be the same.

• Use Mass/Public Transport if it covers journey
  • Use Car regardless
  • Use Bike where possible
  • Use Bicycle where feasible
  • Screw you! My Buggy does from here to Lancaster County in 3 weeks!

0 voters

1 Like

In London I would use public transport or bicycle. Outside cities I would use a car.

2 Likes