Poll Syndicate

I listen to local radio frequently.

Tried to edit but is too late :persevere:

I’m using my laptop with the lid closed and with a hand-me-down 23" TN panel, elevated on my cars thicc manual. I want to do me some good and improve my setup. Comments are appreciated. No budget is set, yet.

• Buy a basic single monitor arm
  • New monitor with proper stand
  • VESA mount all the things (monitor and laptop)

0 voters

Which one is actually your favorite?

Absolute favorite way is by purchasing lossless, DRM-free files directly from the artist’s site.

Bandcamp is the next best thing. I’ve interacted directly with artists on Bandcamp, I rather like the name your own price mechanic, and the files I can download meet my criteria.

I’ll purchase from 7digital if I have to, but some of my purchases have vanished from my downloads which is the biggest turn-off about streaming services. I’ll opt for a CD over 7digital most of the time.

I wish there was something as good as Bandcamp for videos. :frowning:

Before Napster…“Breaking the law…breaking the law”
after Napster…“Hey that’s against the law!”
I usually listen on youtube, reminds me when MTV actually played music. At list no one is playing 80’s heavy metal as elevator musak…yet

Don’t most big screen tv’s have three places to plug in a video cable?

1 Like

Grocery stores are now playing classic metal as classic rock :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there such thing as classic metal?

I actually prefer Bandcamp, as i’m giving my money directly to the artist. Have purchase 20 or 25 Albums so far. Though a lot of older or bigger artists aren’t there. It’s great for more niche stuff and finding new artists. Plus you can often get their Albums for a few bucks. I’d buy more there if more known artists would be there.
I buy CD’s for my favorite bands and older Albums i know i’ll listen to often.

I pay for Spotify Family. I use it mainly for when people are over and we want some background music. For me personally, a wouldn’t need it, but i keep it for the other 4 people that use my subscription. It’s also nice for listening to new albums or Bands before purchasing them.
But man, even with my cars bottom end stereo over BT i can hear the difference between spotify and CD ripped flacs. Spotify’s sound is really lacking dynamics and clarity for me. I don’t mind on some occasions, but often enough, it bothers me.

I tried Tidal 2 or so years ago. I just thought it wasn’t good enough over spotify to justify it’s price for me personally.

I think it depends on your laptop screen size and resolution of both. Like if they’re both the same resolution, or there’s isn’t much dfference between the two, then I’d say VESA everything. Get a dual monitor arm and a laptop tray like this one.

But if there’s a big difference in resolution, or your laptop can’t handle running both monitors very well, then I’d just get a new monitor that comes with a good stand.

1 Like

80’s metal and how far back do you wanna go ?

1 Like

Is there metal in the 80s? Isn’t it just hard rock?

Well, how do you define Metal?
Metal has that interesting “property” of getting more “extreme” over the years. That leads to “old-school” metal sounding more rock like now. Plus Popular Music has gotten a bit heavier in the 90s and 2000s.

But yeah, there’s Metal in the 80s. Hair Metal might be Rock by your standards, but definitly counts as Metal.

1 Like

Glam rock?

Wasn’t that more the David Bowie and The Sweet kind of stuff? Granted, i was born late 80s, so wasn’t there, but listen to tons of music from that era…

Metal and Rock have so many Sub-Genres that it gets hard to seperate at times…

You have spoken and I’ve listened!
I will keep an eye open for deals on monitors with proper stands.

But now I have a new dilemma.

• 27" 1080p high-refresh IPS
  • 27" 1440p 60Hz IPS
  • 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS
  • Other?

0 voters

I’m willing to spend not more than 390 USD.

My usecase:

• web browsing, youtube, office
  • gaming (not the newest titles, more like Tomb Raider, Witcher 3 etc.)
  • rarely working from home with CATIA (CAD)
  • learning to code

My gaming laptop has an i5-6300HQ and a GTX 960m with HDMI output. I do not plan to upgrade anytime soon.

My work laptop has an additional DP output, if that matters.
My desk is 65 cm deep.

Will I benefit from high-refresh monitors or should i buy into higher resolution? Last time i bought a monitor was more than 10 years ago, please be forgiving.

At work I have 2x 27" 1440p 60Hz screens and I feel comfortable with their ppi.

Iron. Maiden.

And if you really want to nitpick the first metal band was Black Sabbath which came out before 1970.

Yes it was. Glam metal was motley crue, poison, winger, whitesnake, etc.

3 Likes

1440p@144hz

2 Likes

To add to what tsk said, I have been keeping an eye on this here product that might interest you since it is within your budget.

1 Like

I like my 1080p Ultrawide.
1440p also has its appeal. I suspect 1440p will be just past what your laptop can drive.

1 Like

Haven’t have thought about this! Thank you.
I will bring my own laptop to work and check if it can drive a single 1440p monitor.

This and IPS are not in the budget sadly.

TN :confused: