Poll Syndicate

Gsuite is great as long as you don’t mind Google. I’m not sure if they’ve caught up with MS in terms of sheer number of features and capability, but it can do pretty much everything that like 99% of people will need it for.

Should I sell my desktop and use my MacBook Pro with an eGPU instead?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

How do you feel about this phrase now with Ryzen 3rd Gen?

1 Like

What’s your current desktop?

If it was built in the last 5 years, no.

I still love AMD, and Intel still has better single core speed processors.
I am on my second Ryzen chip ( threadripper this time) and have set my nephew up on Ryzen, and will suggest AMD to anyone who doesn’t use specific apps that benefit from some single core performance. In fact, people are paying more, to run what is often worse software, but not my place to judge

I should specify:

• Haven’t really been gaming on PC at all recently. I’d rather sit out on the couch on my Xbox. Probably will play WoW Classic once that comes out, but that’s it.
  • Would be nice to simplify my setup.
  • Would be nice to keep all my work on one computer.
  • Will mostly be used for a game I’m making in Unity.

My desktop:

• i7-6700k (not overclocked because my original mobo broke and could only afford a cheap replacement)
  • 32GB RAM (DDR4, 2400 MHz)
  • Arez (Strix) Vega 56

And this is the MBP. Would keep the Vega 56 for the eGPU.

How bad is your desktop if that is better?

Lots of lovely Ram, but the cpu looks either underclocked, or throttled down for thermals?

Egpu is cool and all, but that’s trying to bring the laptop up to almost desktop levels?

Saying that, you already have a laptop, so I guess getting more life out of it?

My desktop is definitely better than the MBP. But the MBP is good enough, and it would be nice to clear up some space on my desk and keep all my work on one computer (edited my previous post to explain, but I was late, my bad).

Ya probably. It is Apple, after all.

Desktop levels at home. Still able to access all my work away from home.

If it weren’t a macbook, I’d say go for it.

Fucking things won’t be able to feed a V56 without thermal throttling.

For simple personal use Gsuite is hard to beat since you can use it on anything and everything.

If you are doing more complex work Office does have more functionality. Office 365 versus Office 2019 would boil down to do want to buy once cry once or do you want to subscribe for the latest features* and cloud storage?

The FOSS alternatives are good too, except for some niche incompatibilities. Would not recommend them for critical work in a business environment simply because of the chance of incompatibilities with Office, as slim as they are now. Personal use they are great.

*Feature utility not guaranteed.

• Oreos and Milk
  • Golden Oreos and no Milk
  • Chocolate Chip
  • Sugar Cookie

0 voters

Chocolate chip is the best IF done properly.

I voted Oreos and milk because it’s consistently good.

That’s a good point. This thing sounds like a damn jet engine if I have more than four tabs open in Firefox.

4 Likes

Hermit cookie

1 Like

It would be good if you could maybe blog about setting up and use of an eGPU with laptop as a home set up?

I know people have used docks for work/home for ages, and this is just an updated version?

But let us know how it goes maybe?

I would, but I’m still thinking about it. The votes are 8 to 1, in favor of not doing it.

I still like my idea, but is it practical? Not reaaaally. I might be able to sell the old parts so I don’t take a hit to the wallet, but it would be a downgrade in CPU and RAM, while there aren’t really any major advantages.

Looking deeper within myself, I think the main driving factor is my iPad Pro and my LG V35 are making me sip the Apple Kool-Aid. I haven’t taken a full swig yet, but it’s tempting.

1 Like

Please excuse my initial comments.
Your laptop is Probably good enough to run games okay, with an eGPU, and using a display attached to it?
You might actually get decent performance, as most bottlenecks are GPU not CPU.

I wouldn’t do this myself, but then my laptop doesn’t have USB-C and is only like a 48xx intel mobile chip, so not as good.
I love my desktop (it has plenty of room for growth) but I usually only use like 5-10% of it most of the time, so a laptop would probably be fine

and you can take a laptop with you, where as desktop teathered

1 Like

Recently switched from OpenOffice to LibreOffice, though guilty of Office 2019 on my Windows box from which I’m posting.

Capture

PS. Outlook has no real competitors, prove me wrong you fucking nerds.

1 Like

CERN seems to be working on fixing that.

2 Likes

Outlook 2010 was great, the newer ones feel laggy an are unresponsive at times :frowning:

1 Like

I actually used tags to find something, browsed tags, or used them at all besides applying them to a thread

• y
  • n

0 voters